🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Thinking of starting a "family" freelance pro...
Page options
antonynaude
Community Member

Thinking of starting a "family" freelance profile

Good day gurus,

Can I include my wife and daughter on my "profile", where I can let them assist me on projects?

If so, can I then have their banking details as part of my payment method, so that they get paid directly into their own accounts? Or how else would I be able to do this "legally" without breaking any rules.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Regards

Antony

9 REPLIES 9
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Antony N wrote:

Good day gurus,

Can I include my wife and daughter on my "profile", where I can let them assist me on projects?

If so, can I then have their banking details as part of my payment method, so that they get paid directly into their own accounts? Or how else would I be able to do this "legally" without breaking any rules.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Regards

Antony

Absolutely not. They all have to have their own profiles. You can never let anybody else access your profile, or access the profile of another user. 

Hi Martina, 

Thank you for your reply.

It is not my intention to allow anybody to access to my profile on Upwork.

I am fully aware of that restriction and rule. Hence why I am posing the question.

I still need to track my own time.

They have their own Upwork profiles, but my question relates more to being able to all work on the same project, albeit on different portions of the project, depending of course on the project.

It could be time based or fixed price based contracts.

How would I then create such an opportunity, so that I can have a "team" which is limited to my family, but I remain responsible to the client?

Would me creating an Agency profile be the right method?

Antony N wrote:

Hi Martina, 

Thank you for your reply.

It is not my intention to allow anybody to access to my profile on Upwork.

I am fully aware of that restriction and rule. Hence why I am posing the question.

I still need to track my own time.

They have their own Upwork profiles, but my question relates more to being able to all work on the same project, albeit on different portions of the project, depending of course on the project.

It could be time based or fixed price based contracts.

How would I then create such an opportunity, so that I can have a "team" which is limited to my family, but I remain responsible to the client?

Would me creating an Agency profile be the right method?

I think creating an agency would probably be the way to go, and I'm sure someone else who has agency experience will comment, but in the meantime this link will take you to the agency help pages: 

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/categories/360001189173

Then added to the Agency option, how do I pay "members"?

Via Upwork? or I have to manage that separately, externally from Upwork?

I think payments go to the agency owner's account and the owner then pays money to the agency members. This may help you: https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/360009524554-Agency-finances

But I don't have agency experience, so it may be better to wait for a mod to intervene or someone who knows more than I do. 

The idea of an agency, IMO, would be that the agency is hired, and the agency owner can assign different tasks to different agency members. It is my understanding that agencies on upwork don't work that way, the client has to hire the individual freelancer seperately, only the payment would go to an agency account to be distributed by the owner outside of upwork (since the fee is already paid to upwork). There are lots of threads of people finding out that the agency does not work as they have assumed. I don't think it would serve the purpose you are trying to achieve as a sort of subcontracting. You probably could create a client account and hire family members if the contract allows for subcontracting, but if the same adress is used for a client and freelancer account, that would probably be flagged by upwork and you might have problems because it looks like feedback building.  

mmm... yes, I see what you mean. And here I thought I could create a " as a sort of subcontracting" of family members of sorts.

Pity though.

Antony:

Upwork has only a small range of options. These options don’t meet every need.

But you are not restricted to only using Upwork.

You can also use other platforms which better fit your needs, and you can set up independent websites or organizations.

Hi Antony,

I am glad to hear that you want to bring your family members to Upwork. If you want to work with your family on Upwork you need to create an agency account and add your wife and daughter there. To add team members to your agency, you will need to upgrade to an Agency Plus membership.

You may want to check this page to find 5 things you should consider before starting an agency

Additionally, please make sure to check this help article to help you stay in compliance with Upwork's Terms of Service.

~ Nikola
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members