Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This Must Stop - JS Calculation

jsutherland
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
1 of 14

It is very unfair to Freelancers to blame us and lower our JOB SUCCESS score because a client does not leave feedback. 

IT IS NOT OUR FAULT !!!!!!!!

I want the "TEAM" to tell us WHY they think it's our fault.

It is especially harmful to Elancers who just arrived. They were not used to getting feedback in the past and their Job Success scores are dreadful when they move here.

This widget could not be displayed.
2 of 14
This widget could not be displayed.

@Jean S wrote:

It is very unfair to Freelancers to blame us and lower our JOB SUCCESS score because a client does not leave feedback. 

IT IS NOT OUR FAULT !!!!!!!!

I want the "TEAM" to tell us WHY they think it's our fault.

It is especially harmful to Elancers who just arrived. They were not used to getting feedback in the past and their Job Success scores are dreadful when they move here.

There are various reasons why clients do not leave feedback and most of them do not mean that they are not happy with the work. A few examples of my own experience in Elance:

1. One client asked me after one job to work outside of Elance. I refused to do that and he did not leave a feedback, though I asked him several times.

2. Clients closed jobs but added new milestones and the work is still going on. No feedback because the job still goes on.

3. Some clients are too busy or too lazy and do not leave feedback although having been asked several times.

4. Another client seems to dislike that his identity or comments appear and very, very seldom leaves feedback. After having asked several times I had to give up.

So far my experience. I think in only one case the client probabely was not 100% happy and did not leave a feedback.

larscambodia
Ace Contributor
Lars S Member Since: Jul 19, 2015
3 of 14

Totally agree. I have great feedback on my profile, always deliver the job within the time, answer client always within a few minutes, and I mean doing everything right here, but I have a score of only 56, and it has ruined everything for me.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
4 of 14

@Lars S wrote:

Totally agree. I have great feedback on my profile, always deliver the job within the time, answer client always within a few minutes, and I mean doing everything right here, but I have a score of only 56, and it has ruined everything for me.

Don't you have open threads where you were asking for help on several projects where the client wasn't happy? This is why yours is low.

Jean is talking about no feedback, which indeed sucks. I'm about to close 2-3 contracts because client is MIA. I just closed 2 on the Elance side but I'm not sure if that hurts the jss here. 

jsutherland
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
5 of 14

@Jennifer M wrote:

@Lars S wrote:

Don't you have open threads where you were asking for help on several projects where the client wasn't happy? This is why yours is low.

Jean is talking about no feedback, which indeed sucks. I'm about to close 2-3 contracts because client is MIA. I just closed 2 on the Elance side but I'm not sure if that hurts the jss here. 

Thanks Jennifer.  

This thread is about JS score and the question of why Freelancers are punished for no feedback from clients.

geigerj
Community Guru
Julianne G Member Since: Oct 21, 2015
6 of 14

I've only been on upwork a month or two, but I'm not sure that missing feedback, by itself, negatively affects JSS.  There must be some other metric factored in as well?  

I had heard lots of complaining from Elancers who were panic striken after migrating their profile, because when they moved, their JSS didn't seem to correspond to their rating.  For example, if they had a 5-star rating and a 98% recommend rating, they didn't end up with a 99% or 100% JSS score, which absolutely would seem to jive.  Lots of people were saying (I think based on  feedback from moderators) that if you had a bunch of jobs with no feedback, that could negatively impact your JSS score.

I had at least 6 Elance clients in the last 6 months that did not leave feedback--a flurry of clients that just didn't bother.  Ugh.  I was prepared for the worst, but my individual JSS score ended up being 100% upon transfer.  

So I wonder if it is lack of feedback in conjunction with some other metric?  I don't know.  I'm sure UpWork isn't going to share their super secret formula with us...

Either way, I have a fair share of no-feedback jobs, and still have a 100% JSS.  Maybe the super secret formula is broken?  

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
7 of 14

Juli, I think they softened the blow a bit for Elancers. If you look at the people who merged with low scores, they have cancellations. Cancellations seem to be a killer on here. Cancellations and refunds.

larscambodia
Ace Contributor
Lars S Member Since: Jul 19, 2015
8 of 14

I had it a while ago yes, and he completed its contract and let not left feedback on it, but it's probably the only one.

setumonroe
Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
9 of 14

@Jean,

Lets hope you will get an equal response here, similar to what was given here.

I have noticed a trend of compliance rectifying issues when they are raised by Elancers. Or at least some form of acknowlegment from the 'higher ups.'

---- easy like Sunday morning ----
suznee
Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
10 of 14

Setu,

Or you will get like me not answered at all and ignored or blown off with, We are looking into it...

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Announcements/Update-to-Expertise-Levels-Removal-of-Self-Selection/t...

I believe half the time they give some answer just to shut us up and then hope the discussion will go away.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS