cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This accounting business is leaving my head spinning.

daniel-bradley
Community Leader
Daniel B Member Since: May 4, 2016
1 of 5

Hi guys,

It's tax season over here in the UK, which means no stone must be left unturned before handing over the books. This is my first attempt at such a thing since going freelance, and I've never been great with numbers, so looking for a little bit of advice. The stumbling block here is a $72.71 discrepency between the figure stated in the "12 month earnings" section of my Certificate of Earnings and the total amount I've withdrawn through Upwork in that same period.

It can't be service fees, as the difference would be in the thousands. My instinct told me the Certificate of Earnings mustn't include withdrawal fees, but again, 29 withdrawals x $1.99 ($57.71) still leaves $15 unaccounted for. I had always been under the impression that the Certificate of Earnings included service fees that you'd have to deduct yourself as expenses, but that can't be the case. So... something somewhere isn't adding up and I'm not sure what. I was hoping somebody with more experience than I have in this area might be able to shed some light on it.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

stencil_media
Community Guru
Scott E Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
BEST ANSWER
2 of 5

Did you give the premium membership a try at some point?

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)

View solution in original post

daniel-bradley
Community Leader
Daniel B Member Since: May 4, 2016
3 of 5

Din ding ding, we have a winner. Six months membership plus VAT does, of course, equal $72. Thanks so much for curing that particular headache - I'm sure there'll be more to come before the month is over!

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
4 of 5

Hi Daniel,

It's possible that a delay is causing the discrepancy you're seeing. Nevertheless, I'll check with the team to confirm that your report shows the correct figures and respond on this thread.

Update: I see you confirmed your report is displaying correct information.

Untitled
mrdanielprice
Community Guru
Daniel P Member Since: Aug 15, 2014
5 of 5

I'm curious. Do you report your earnings in USD or to GBP to HMRC? Or do they only accept filings in pounds (presumubly converted from USD)?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS