🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » This client is threatening me with 'a negativ...
Page options
jeanne-marie
Community Member

This client is threatening me with 'a negative'. Can they do this?

I just received this note from a client on a closed contract. Is it true that they can "place a negative" on me? I don't even know what that means. They did not provide feedback after the contract was closed.

**Edited for community guidelines**

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
a_lipsey
Community Member

Jeanne Marie, if the contract is closed and they closed it, then they already left their feedback and they can't change it. They are threatening you. Block them. 

They can't do anything to you because you refuse to change your review. And even if they did open a dispute, if the contract has been closed for 14 days or more, then they have already had their opportunity to leave feedback and cannot do so again. 

They are BSing you. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
a_lipsey
Community Member

Jeanne Marie, if the contract is closed and they closed it, then they already left their feedback and they can't change it. They are threatening you. Block them. 

They can't do anything to you because you refuse to change your review. And even if they did open a dispute, if the contract has been closed for 14 days or more, then they have already had their opportunity to leave feedback and cannot do so again. 

They are BSing you. 

Thank you. The contract was closed 3 months ago - I can see my post was edited to remove the actual text. They said if I did not improve the rating from 2/5 they would open a dispute and that would 'impact me with a negative'. They were a nightmare client and I wanted to warn other contractors.  I contacted support and they confirmed that since the contract was closed 3 months ago they could not pursue a dispute even thought I was 'invited to change my feedback'.  I think they sent it to the compliance group.

Jeanne Marie B wrote:

Thank you. The contract was closed 3 months ago - I can see my post was edited to remove the actual text. They said if I did not improve the rating from 2/5 they would open a dispute and that would 'impact me with a negative'. They were a nightmare client and I wanted to warn other contractors.  I contacted support and they confirmed that since the contract was closed 3 months ago they could not pursue a dispute even thought I was 'invited to change my feedback'.  I think they sent it to the compliance group.

That pisses me off that Upwork would remove your text feedback without your consent, especially if it didn't violate the guidelines. But they do cater to clients. However, they didn't change your rating, so other freelancers will see that and the stars are often enough to deter freelancers. 

I will say just as an aside this is totally infuriating that they would remove your text. Client reviews are one of the very few tools we have to vet clients before we allow someone to potentially murder our business by hiring us and getting the right to review us (murder our business by being able to leave a bad review). I don't really care much about reviews but here on Upwork maintaining JSS is a factor of life. 

I think the text that was removed (edited for community guidelines) was the note her client left privately to her.

Sophie A wrote:

I think the text that was removed (edited for community guidelines) was the note her client left privately to her.

Oh I thought she meant the text feedback she left for the client in the review was removed. Yes, that makes sense. 

hiro-shin
Community Member

This happened to me as well today, I suggest to avoid those toxic clients and discussing with them at once by closing the contract from your end and giving them the feedback they deserved.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members