nikolayblinov

This feedback has been removed. Does it look repulsive for the client ?

I am Top-Rated and have the prviledge to remove the feedback.

I have 3.9 start feedback which is now displayed on my profile page. I'm thinking of removing the feedback from my profile page and its impact on JSS as well.

The question: does the saying "This feedback has been removed" prevent the clients from inviting or making decision to hire ?

Doesn't it hint the client that this contract was unsucessful ?

14 REPLIES 14
ravi_iitian

I would rather leave the 3.9 score and respond to the feedback, explaining what went wrong.

"Certa bonum certamen"
katrinabeaver

It says it can take up to two weeks for the feedback to be removed after you have submitted the request. 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
tlbp

You should ask a Mod to confirm, but I think you have the option to remove the feedback from your JSS calculation but leave it on your profile (with the stars) rather than have the 'feedback removed' comment. 

Yes, I do have the option to remove the feedback impact only on the JSS.

So, you would rather have this 3.9 start feedback on your profile page than have 'feedback removed' comment, right ?

I don't care about the stars. I left the star rating for mine because he didn't comment. So it only showed 3 stars and meh to that. It's been pushed down the list so it no longer affects me anyway except for the JSS. Got 3 more months for it to fall of my 6 month average. 😄

If he had left a long rant, I would have removed it. I think "feedback removed" is better than a long rant like I've seen on some people's profiles about racism, being condescending, argumentative, or other things that is a killer.

Yours is not that bad but I could see why you'd want to use the perk. I might use it too if I were in your shoes.

To me, it looks like in the end the client sort of took on some of the blame themselves. With all your other great feedback, I wouldn't think this one will hurt you all that much. Hopefully the kind of clients you want to work with can look at your other successes and understand that things happen sometimes.

I got a 3.2 and it bugs me to see it, but I think what the client wrote negated that score. It's hard to get that first not-so-perfect rating, but it's not the end of the world either, especially if it's a rarity. I've thought about removing mine, but in the end, I don't care about it all that much and it hasn't seemed to affect my hire rate.

But .... I do regret that I never responded to it - perhaps you should respond as honestly and nicely as you can, and just leave it as is.

My 2¢

lysis10

hmmmm tough one. I see that they commented.  I would see if it hit my ability to win projects and go from there. I guess maybe I would because it qualifies for what I consider a deletion rule for myself. I would probably wait for the JSS update and see what happens.

colettelewis

Nikolay, you  are going to take a hit for sure. I think you should  definitely leave counter feedback (no ranting) and then wait and see what happens to your ratings when it is next updated. You are at 100% now, so they will slip, but if they go down to the low 90s, I would not ask for feedback removal. I am quite sure this blip will not affect your future work or ratings.

cupidmedia

Nikolay, as a client I'm personally not a fan of seeing "this feedback has been removed" because I wonder what is being concealed. I don't think this client's feedback comments are terrible, because they take some of the responsibility on themselves for the less-than-perfect outcome of the project. If you hid the feedback so all I could see was the stars, and I could see they rated you 2 for quality with no explanation, I'd be concerned. I personally think in this case you're better off leaving the client feedback, and perhaps replying to it with a brief factual statement of your side of the story.

A 100% JSS with all 5.0 ratings is like a brand-spanking new car: we hate to get it scratched.

After the first scratch, we don’t mind that much. Smiley Happy

"Certa bonum certamen"

From the perspective of responding to the client.  Unless there is something of importance that is factually incorrect, I would not reply to present your side of the story.  I think the client's feedback comes across very honest and while pointing to areas that need improvement, it also pointed inward.  So again unless the points made were a complete lie, I may take the opportunity to respond with a more positive note about achieving success on the project despite some challenges and the feedback will ensure stronger projects going forward (or something like that).  

f97c2569

I'm actually evaluating different agencies (and their core freelancers) to see if I can trust their skills to hire them.

When I see top agencies with feedback removed all over their feedback page, I disqualify them. It's look like they want to deceive their visitors and employ low quality freelancers to test their skills at the expense of their clients. It's even worse if it's the managers.

As a recruiter, Feedback removal is a handicap for anyone who try to convince me. 

kkleiss

I'm responding to this to keep the conversation flowing on this important issue.

Until today I was a Top Rated freelance writer with a 100% JSS score, after +$10K work, 388 hours over 12 jobs, many of them repeat jobs.

I took on a very small client and told him that I'm happy to revise the work until he's 100 per cent satisfied, which is what I do with all clients. We even built revisions into the contract (two milestones, including a draft). He asked for very superficial revisions and then paid in full. I thought he was happy with the work, and left great feedback after what I thought was an excellent Upwork transaction.

Alas, he left me a 3.8 with no written comment, ranking me 5 across the board except Quality and Skill, for which he gave me 2. Now that's bad, expecially when I have no idea what went wrong. He must have slaughtered me in the private review, too, because my JSS immediately dipped to 88%, causing me to lose my Top Rated status. 

I chose to delete it from my profile. There's no question that Top Rated status is good for business. If it had gone to just 92%, I would have ignored it and maybe left a positive response. The other issue is that my two current open jobs are looking to be very long-term, and they are keeping me extremely busy I can't imagine taking on even small projects to boost my score.

So for those who are stumbling across this issue later down the road, here are my thoughts. Best of luck.

@Karen K wrote:

I'm responding to this to keep the conversation flowing on this important issue.

Until today I was a Top Rated freelance writer with a 100% JSS score, after +$10K work, 388 hours over 12 jobs, many of them repeat jobs.

I took on a very small client and told him that I'm happy to revise the work until he's 100 per cent satisfied, which is what I do with all clients. We even built revisions into the contract (two milestones, including a draft). He asked for very superficial revisions and then paid in full. I thought he was happy with the work, and left great feedback after what I thought was an excellent Upwork transaction.

Alas, he left me a 3.8 with no written comment, ranking me 5 across the board except Quality and Skill, for which he gave me 2. Now that's bad, expecially when I have no idea what went wrong. He must have slaughtered me in the private review, too, because my JSS immediately dipped to 88%, causing me to lose my Top Rated status. 

I chose to delete it from my profile. There's no question that Top Rated status is good for business. If it had gone to just 92%, I would have ignored it and maybe left a positive response. The other issue is that my two current open jobs are looking to be very long-term, and they are keeping me extremely busy I can't imagine taking on even small projects to boost my score.

So for those who are stumbling across this issue later down the road, here are my thoughts. Best of luck.

Thank you for bringing this up!

Not all of us freelancers have room on our schedules to try and complete a bunch of smaller projects to boost our score as a recovery mechanism for encountering an untoward client. 

Thank the Upwork powers for Top Rated perks!