🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: This is an insult to the profesionals
Page options
franciscolanda
Community Member

This is an insult to the profesionals

50 scenes/illustrations per 25$

I saw a lot of offers like this one. I thought this was a serious website. I think Upwork should review the offers posted and place some limits. I can understand that someone who live in somalia maybe can´t pay 50 Usd for an illustration but on the offer that I attached the client is from UK. I attached the offer and an example of the scenes he is looking for. Really? 50 scenes like these for 25 dolars?

This is frustrating.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

30 REPLIES 30
dzadza
Community Member

you forgot the possibility of $10 bonus! lol

well - you can see the client's history - 4K spent on 583 hires...

petra_r
Community Member

Francisco Javier G wrote:

I saw a lot of offers like this one.

It'll do your blood-pressure no good at all if you feel insulted by such job posts, simply skip them and move on, they are not for you and you are not for them.

I think Upwork should review the offers posted and place some limits.

No Thanks, I would much prefer Upwork not having to raise their fees even further to pay for that sort of thing. There are freelancers for that sort of job, and jobs for your type of freelancer.

The freelancers who accept that sort of job are not your competition, and that type of client would never hire you anyway (can't afford it.)

You can't expect Upwork staff to make judgment calls what the "limits" should be for all the tens of thousands of job posts in hundreds of different categories and circumstances. That idea is plain nuts.

Did you removed my post? We can´t talk about this on the forum?

We can talk about it, you just can not name a client or show their job post.

Welcome to Upwork. You also can't include your full name on your profile. 

Lots of rules here. 

petra_r
Community Member

Tonya P wrote:

Welcome to Upwork. You also can't include your full name on your profile.

Sure?

ambroz
Community Member

Petra R. wrote:

Petra R. wrote:

I saw a lot of offers like this one.

It'll do your blood-pressure no good at all if you feel insulted by such job posts, simply skip them and move on, they are not for you and you are not for them.

I think Upwork should review the offers posted and place some limits.

No Thanks, I would much prefer Upwork not having to raise their fees even further to pay for that sort of thing. There are freelancers for that sort of job, and jobs for your type of freelancer.

The freelancers who accept that sort of job are not your competition, and that type of client would never hire you anyway (can't afford it.)

You can't expect Upwork staff to make judgment calls what the "limits" should be for all the tens of thousands of job posts in hundreds of different categories and circumstances. That idea is plain nuts.

I agree with you Petra, that if Upwork staff had define the price standards, it would be a mess, but still, for example a freelancer in Somalia can work the whole his life on 5USD/hour, and can be a very experienced then. But freelancers in North America, Europe, Australia, etc cannot work on such rates very long 😛

Still maybe some limitations could be good. For example a client needs to hire at least some of the freelancers from his own region. Or some limitations for example: client cannot hire a freelancer for 3/hour if avarage salary there is 30/hour 😛 . I saw some very low budget project from clients in USA and Australia ....

re: "Still maybe some limitations could be good. For example a client needs to hire at least some of the freelancers from his own region. Or some limitations for example: client cannot hire a freelancer for 3/hour if avarage salary there is 30/hour. I saw some very low budget project from clients in USA and Australia"

Ambroz:

I appreciate your creativity.

But one of the main purposes of Upwork - from the beginning of its existence - going back to its predecessor companies - is to allow clients to meet and hire freelancers from all over the world.

Upwork is not going to require clients to hire a certain percentage of freelancers from their own region.

And this is good, because it means when YOU (as a client) hire freelancers through Upwork, then YOU are not restricted regarding where you can hire freelancers from.

This is also good for YOU as a freelancer, because it means that clients are NEVER prohibited from hiring you based on where YOU are from or whey they are from. Upwork clients have complete freedom to hire you, regardless of where they live.

These freedoms are part of what makes Upwork such a great platform to work on.

re: "Or some limitations for example: client cannot hire a freelancer for 3/hour if avarage salary there is 30/hour"

I know you're simply brainstorming here...

But to be clear about something:

The minimum allowed hourly rate on Upwork is $3.00/hour. This is the rate regardless of where the freelancer lives.

Hourly freelancing rates are not the same thing as hourly rates paid to employees, and they are not the same thing as salaries.

You appear to be suggesting that Upwork's hourly minimum rate should be varied according to the average amount of money people earn in a given place? But the average earnings in any given place include people who are dish washers in restaurants, and people who are CEOs of large corporations. Brain surgeons and coffee shop baristas and plumbers and pop stars. I'm not sure how such a number would be useful in setting Upwork policy.

$3/hr? I just came across a VA job that effevtively wanrs to pay $1.40/hr - thats before upwork fees and just for the 35 hrs mon-fri. No mention of any extra for the occassional saturday they want someone to do as well.

Emma, if you saw a job post offering less than $3/hr you should definitely flag it because it's violating Upwork ToS.

petra_r
Community Member

Ambrož B wrote:
Still maybe some limitations could be good. For example a client needs to hire at least some of the freelancers from his own region. Or some limitations for example: client cannot hire a freelancer for 3/hour if avarage salary there is 30/hour

Or... here's a novel idea: How about we stop trying to ask Upwork to tell people what they must charge, behave like adult business people and simply not apply to jobs that aren't for us, leaving them for those who want them or let the clients figure out all by themselves that they get what they pay for?

The less Upwork meddle in the relationship between clients and freelancers, the better for all of us-

Would be very interesting to see some statistics about Upwork average $/hour, and about most hired freelancer´s countries. I can´t compete with someone in guatemala who can charge 5 $ for one illustration. And this is happening here so much. Of course platforms like Upwork have responsabilities on it.

I can´t compete with someone in guatemala who can charge 5 $ for one illustration.

You are not competing with people who charge a fraction of what you charge, because their clients would never, ever hire you and vice versa.

You are competing with people who charge around the same as you do.

Jobs I win frequently had others bid 10% or less than I do.

Simply ignore jobs that are not in your market. .

I can´t compete with someone in guatemala who can charge 5 $ for one illustration. And this is happening here so much. Of course platforms like Upwork have responsabilities on it.

Francisco, your own hourly rate isn't very high. Did you know that there are illustrators on Upwork who charge $100/hour or more? From their point of view, YOU are charging too little money. How would you like it if you were forced to charge $100/hour so that you're not being unfair to those freelancers?

I would love to charge 50$ per hour but is hard for me to find job with my 15$/hour rate, I wont imagine if I charge 50. 

I would love to charge 50$ per hour but is hard for me to find job with my 15$/hour rate, I wont imagine if I charge 50. 

If you improved your profile (which is currently pretty poor) and expanded your portfolio, you would likely win more jobs at a higher rate.

The clients who truly look for quality will dismiss your proposal for being too cheap.

It's much the same as when you're looking for a car and someone offers you a Porsche for the price of a Skoda or a Rolls Royce for the price of a Porsche... You take one look and think "Nope..."

Well, thanks for your tip, I allways add a link to my portfolio when I apply for a job but I also include some of my works on my profile. So you think I would get more jobs if I charge 50$ per hour?

Well, thanks for your tip, I allways add a link to my portfolio when I apply for a job but I also include some of my works on my profile. So you think I would get more jobs if I charge 50$ per hour?

I hire a fair number of illustrators, and I think you should be charging a minimum of $35/hour. There are far too many low-end freelancers on Upwork who don't have any real skills, and when you charge at the low end, you're clustering yourself with them rather than as a skilled professional.

The truth is that most of the jobs for illustration have a fixed price. The most well paid that I saw since the short time I am on this website is 150$ for 1 illustration.

One detailed illustration takes me at least 8 hours. If I want to gain 35$/hour I have to charge 280$ for 1 illustration at least. Definetly I can´t rate my hour in 35 $.

The truth is that most of the jobs for illustration have a fixed price. The most well paid that I saw since the short time I am on this website is 150$ for 1 illustration.

One detailed illustration takes me at least 8 hours. If I want to gain 35$/hour I have to charge 280$ for 1 illustration at least. Definetly I can´t rate my hour in 35 $.

A couple of things:

First, the fact that the budget is $150 doesn't necessarily mean that's the most the client will pay. A lot of us routinely bid double or more the posted budget and win those jobs. If the client thinks your samples are right on with what they're looking for, then they may well be willing to pay more. 

The other thing is that you should consider whether perhaps your "detailed illustration" is more than the client is looking for. If the client only has $150 to spend, tell him/her what you can do within that budget. I've received perfectly satisfactory illustrations that took the artist only 2-3 hours, and others that took 15 or more. Not every project requires the same amount of labor and attention.

Petra R wrote:

Ambrož B wrote:
Still maybe some limitations could be good. For example a client needs to hire at least some of the freelancers from his own region. Or some limitations for example: client cannot hire a freelancer for 3/hour if avarage salary there is 30/hour

Or... here's a novel idea: How about we stop trying to ask Upwork to tell people what they must charge, behave like adult business people and simply not apply to jobs that aren't for us, leaving them for those who want them or let the clients figure out all by themselves that they get what they pay for?

The less Upwork meddle in the relationship between clients and freelancers, the better for all of us-

This to the nth power.

re: "I would love to charge 50$ per hour but is hard for me to find job with my 15$/hour rate, I wont imagine if I charge 50."

It's basic supply and demand.

Not all skills are equally in demand.

Like the old joke about the plumber who goes to repair a sink at a surgeon's house.

The repair doesn't take very long to do. When the plumber gives the surgeon the bill, the surgeon does some quick math and says: "You're charging $150 an hour!! I'm a surgeon and I only earn $100 an hour."

The plumber replies: "Yeah, when I was a surgeon I only earned $100 an hour, too."

Well, maybe would be more worth it to work as a plumber. Thank you, I will think about it

re: "maybe would be more worth it to work as a plumber."

Just as a general concept:

A graphic designer in Guatemala CAN design a logo for a potential client who lives in your town.

But a plumber in Guatemala CAN NOT fix a sink for a potential client who lives in your town.

Yes, that is obvious. 

Yes, that is obvious. 

With all due respect Fransico, if it was to you, you would never have started this thread.

Richard S wrote:

Yes, that is obvious. 

With all due respect Fransico, if it was to you, you would never have started this thread.

Does it never, ever happen that something becomes obvious to you which was not at all obvious to you before someone else made a clarifying comment?

Why not? 

Preston H wrote:

re: "maybe would be more worth it to work as a plumber."

Just as a general concept:

A graphic designer in Guatemala CAN design a logo for a potential client who lives in your town.

But a plumber in Guatemala CAN NOT fix a sink for a potential client who lives in your town.

Yes indeed. Being able to work with clients all over the world (and being able to work FROM almost anywhere in the world) is one of the main reasons that I freelance. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths