cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This is an insult to the profesionals

Emma M Member Since: Jun 29, 2019
11 of 31
$3/hr? I just came across a VA job that effevtively wanrs to pay $1.40/hr - thats before upwork fees and just for the 35 hrs mon-fri. No mention of any extra for the occassional saturday they want someone to do as well.

Community Guru
Sergio S Member Since: Dec 19, 2017
12 of 31

Emma, if you saw a job post offering less than $3/hr you should definitely flag it because it's violating Upwork ToS.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
13 of 31

Ambrož B wrote:
Still maybe some limitations could be good. For example a client needs to hire at least some of the freelancers from his own region. Or some limitations for example: client cannot hire a freelancer for 3/hour if avarage salary there is 30/hour

Or... here's a novel idea: How about we stop trying to ask Upwork to tell people what they must charge, behave like adult business people and simply not apply to jobs that aren't for us, leaving them for those who want them or let the clients figure out all by themselves that they get what they pay for?

The less Upwork meddle in the relationship between clients and freelancers, the better for all of us-

Francisco G Member Since: Aug 7, 2019
14 of 31

Would be very interesting to see some statistics about Upwork average $/hour, and about most hired freelancer´s countries. I can´t compete with someone in guatemala who can charge 5 $ for one illustration. And this is happening here so much. Of course platforms like Upwork have responsabilities on it.

Community Guru
15 of 31

Francisco Javier G wrote:

I can´t compete with someone in guatemala who can charge 5 $ for one illustration.

You are not competing with people who charge a fraction of what you charge, because their clients would never, ever hire you and vice versa.

You are competing with people who charge around the same as you do.

Jobs I win frequently had others bid 10% or less than I do.

Simply ignore jobs that are not in your market. .

Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
16 of 31

I can´t compete with someone in guatemala who can charge 5 $ for one illustration. And this is happening here so much. Of course platforms like Upwork have responsabilities on it.

Francisco, your own hourly rate isn't very high. Did you know that there are illustrators on Upwork who charge $100/hour or more? From their point of view, YOU are charging too little money. How would you like it if you were forced to charge $100/hour so that you're not being unfair to those freelancers?

17 of 31

I would love to charge 50$ per hour but is hard for me to find job with my 15$/hour rate, I wont imagine if I charge 50. 

Community Guru
18 of 31

I would love to charge 50$ per hour but is hard for me to find job with my 15$/hour rate, I wont imagine if I charge 50. 

If you improved your profile (which is currently pretty poor) and expanded your portfolio, you would likely win more jobs at a higher rate.

The clients who truly look for quality will dismiss your proposal for being too cheap.

It's much the same as when you're looking for a car and someone offers you a Porsche for the price of a Skoda or a Rolls Royce for the price of a Porsche... You take one look and think "Nope..."

19 of 31

Well, thanks for your tip, I allways add a link to my portfolio when I apply for a job but I also include some of my works on my profile. So you think I would get more jobs if I charge 50$ per hour?

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
20 of 31

Well, thanks for your tip, I allways add a link to my portfolio when I apply for a job but I also include some of my works on my profile. So you think I would get more jobs if I charge 50$ per hour?

I hire a fair number of illustrators, and I think you should be charging a minimum of $35/hour. There are far too many low-end freelancers on Upwork who don't have any real skills, and when you charge at the low end, you're clustering yourself with them rather than as a skilled professional.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS