cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This is an insult to the profesionals

Francisco G Member Since: Aug 7, 2019
21 of 31

The truth is that most of the jobs for illustration have a fixed price. The most well paid that I saw since the short time I am on this website is 150$ for 1 illustration.

One detailed illustration takes me at least 8 hours. If I want to gain 35$/hour I have to charge 280$ for 1 illustration at least. Definetly I can´t rate my hour in 35 $.

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
22 of 31

Francisco Javier G wrote:

The truth is that most of the jobs for illustration have a fixed price. The most well paid that I saw since the short time I am on this website is 150$ for 1 illustration.

One detailed illustration takes me at least 8 hours. If I want to gain 35$/hour I have to charge 280$ for 1 illustration at least. Definetly I can´t rate my hour in 35 $.

A couple of things:

First, the fact that the budget is $150 doesn't necessarily mean that's the most the client will pay. A lot of us routinely bid double or more the posted budget and win those jobs. If the client thinks your samples are right on with what they're looking for, then they may well be willing to pay more. 

The other thing is that you should consider whether perhaps your "detailed illustration" is more than the client is looking for. If the client only has $150 to spend, tell him/her what you can do within that budget. I've received perfectly satisfactory illustrations that took the artist only 2-3 hours, and others that took 15 or more. Not every project requires the same amount of labor and attention.

Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
23 of 31

Petra R wrote:

Ambrož B wrote:
Still maybe some limitations could be good. For example a client needs to hire at least some of the freelancers from his own region. Or some limitations for example: client cannot hire a freelancer for 3/hour if avarage salary there is 30/hour

Or... here's a novel idea: How about we stop trying to ask Upwork to tell people what they must charge, behave like adult business people and simply not apply to jobs that aren't for us, leaving them for those who want them or let the clients figure out all by themselves that they get what they pay for?

The less Upwork meddle in the relationship between clients and freelancers, the better for all of us-

The less Upwork meddle in the relationship between clients and freelancers, the better for all of us-

This to the nth power.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
24 of 31

re: "I would love to charge 50$ per hour but is hard for me to find job with my 15$/hour rate, I wont imagine if I charge 50."

It's basic supply and demand.

Not all skills are equally in demand.

Like the old joke about the plumber who goes to repair a sink at a surgeon's house.

The repair doesn't take very long to do. When the plumber gives the surgeon the bill, the surgeon does some quick math and says: "You're charging $150 an hour!! I'm a surgeon and I only earn $100 an hour."

The plumber replies: "Yeah, when I was a surgeon I only earned $100 an hour, too."

25 of 31

Well, maybe would be more worth it to work as a plumber. Thank you, I will think about it

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
26 of 31

re: "maybe would be more worth it to work as a plumber."

Just as a general concept:

A graphic designer in Guatemala CAN design a logo for a potential client who lives in your town.

But a plumber in Guatemala CAN NOT fix a sink for a potential client who lives in your town.

27 of 31

Yes, that is obvious. 

Community Leader
Richard S Member Since: Mar 12, 2019
28 of 31

Yes, that is obvious. 

With all due respect Fransico, if it was to you, you would never have started this thread.

Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
29 of 31

Richard S wrote:

Yes, that is obvious. 

With all due respect Fransico, if it was to you, you would never have started this thread.

Does it never, ever happen that something becomes obvious to you which was not at all obvious to you before someone else made a clarifying comment?

30 of 31

Why not? 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS