Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: This is how I started this year with upwork

Highlighted
Community Guru
AHM Mahmudur R Member Since: Jan 14, 2014
1 of 22

I delivered all final files as per client’s requirements

Client said, she is very satisfied with everything. She is headed to end this contract and she just needs some days because her payment verification method is still in process

Client said, the support team not responding her inquiry but I should not worry because I must receive my payment soon

I submitted a ticket and the support team assured me not to be worried because my payment would be available automatically after 8 days (6days already passed)

I tried not to be worried

Client sent the following message, “The support are very badSmiley Sad I write them twice and no answer for the verification of my card. You will receive your payment that sure”

I opened client’s profile again. It shows, her profile is verified now.

Today I received the following message from upwork, “Your last submission of milestone "------------" on contract #--------- "---------" has been rejected by Upwork because of an issue with the client's paying method or insufficient funds.

Funniest_Memes_i-don-t-understand-you-and-i-ve-stopped-trying_13017.jpeg

Thank you!

Mahmud
Highlighted
Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
2 of 22

Was the job funded? Meaning was there money in escrow?

Highlighted
Community Guru
3 of 22

Yes, I accepted the offer when I saw

(1) "Funded" and

(2) “Payment method verification in process”

Mahmud
Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
4 of 22

Hi Mahmud,

I'm sorry to hear about the problem you're having on this job. I checked it and it looks like there was an issue with the client's payment method. The client will need to resolve the issue on their end, so you can speak with your client and ask them to follow instructions our Support team shared on two of their tickets, or reply on the tickets so we can assist them further.

Please note we do not recommend working on a contract until the client's payment method is verified, as Fixed-Price Protection is available only in case the client used a verified payment method to fund Escrow.

Community Guru
5 of 22

Hi Vladimir,

The client hardly visits upwork and don't know when she's gonna back or never back!

I have a question, lets think she'll never back and I won't be paid at all. In that case, I am gonna lose my JSS rating again, right? Don't you think this illogical that the freelancer will keep lossing in every side like money, time and at the end their JSS?

Thank you

Mahmud
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Nancy J. D Member Since: Dec 1, 2015
6 of 22

If a project has been funded, I would think the assumption could be made that there wasn't a problem with the client's payment method. Am i incorrect?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
7 of 22

That was what I was thinking, Nancy. When a project is funded, the money is there and available...

Highlighted
Community Guru
Chris M Member Since: May 6, 2015
8 of 22

I agree - if it is funded I would assume the money is there.

No doubt as per Vladimirs reply we should have informed ourselves that we shouldn't start work on a job if the payment method hasn't been verified.

But, am I being insensible if I say... surely Clients should not be able to post jobs in the first place until their payment method has been verified?

That would shift the responsibility onto the Client instead of the Freelancer possibly losing out.

When I see 'Funded' I assume the money is there - that's the logical assumption. I shouldn't have to trawl through the terms and conditions to find out that the money in fact isn't there.

Edited: I've just thought - Upwork is deceiving the Freelancer if it is stated that the job is funded by a Client without payment verification. Vladimir says the payment method has to be verified - so therefore if the payment method has not been verified then it is not funded.

Come on Upwork - remove the 'Funded' notification if the payment method has not been verified.

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
9 of 22

Hi Chris,

Clients can post a job and fund Escrow before or during the payment method's verification process, but it's up to the freelancer if they want to accept the contract before the client's payment method becomes verified. We advise against this, as Valeria explained.

Highlighted
Community Guru
David G Member Since: Oct 6, 2011
10 of 22

@Vladimir G wrote:

Hi Chris,

Clients can post a job and fund Escrow before or during the payment method's verification process, but it's up to the freelancer if they want to accept the contract before the client's payment method becomes verified. We advise against this, as Valeria explained.

I have no problem with clients posting jobs without being verified but allowing them to fund escrow as well just seems a bit odd.

If not for this thread, I don't think I ever would have realized that even if Escrow is funded you could still lose your money. What is the point of escrow if clients can still steal from freelancers. I know we can all wait until they're verified but it would make things a lot easier and safer if clients had to have their payment method verified before funding escrow.

Of course, I don't think Upwork will be that concerned about this issue given that it won't affect their bottom line. If a client disappears with a freelancer's money, Upwork doesn't need to pay because the payment method was unverified.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS