Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This is how I started this year with upwork

Highlighted
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
11 of 22

I think EVERYONE should associate the word FUNDED with PENDING. Because that's exactly what it is. A client says they have a credit card (or other payment method.) and that account could have no funds or be a closed account or even intentially enter a wrong expiration date. Just because a client enters in a bogus account doesn't mean it's verified.

I ordered something from Amazon a while ago. Entered in my credit card info. and a 1 1/2 to 2 days later I got a message saying my card was denied. I looked at the info I typed in and saw I entered the expiration date (the year) wrong.

Remember escrow isn't guaranteed. it's just an account where a client deposits money and is held by a third person (Upwork) I could buy a house and write a check for the deposit to be held in escrow but my check could be to a closed account. Just because I put in a check doesn't mean I have the money until that check is verified.

Escrow is just for "safekeeping." The only payment method that is Guranteed is hourly and ONLY if you follow the instruction for hourly guaranteed to the letter.

(edited) the only thing I can think of that might help you, depending on the type of work you did, is to notify the client by whatever means possible that since she didn't pay you, copyright still belongs to you. And if you find any of your unpaid work published in any way online you will contact the host provider with a DMCA take down notice and have that work taken off site. And I suggest you DO search for it. (Copyscape, Tineye and Google are 3 free services that you can use. There are others you can also use for a fee.)

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
12 of 22

@Kathy T wrote:

I think EVERYONE should associate the word FUNDED with PENDING. Because that's exactly what it is. A client says they have a credit card (or other payment method.) and that account could have no funds or be a closed account or even intentially enter a wrong expiration date. Just because a client enters in a bogus account doesn't mean it's verified.

Well, no!

Because the entered payment method is actually CHARGED so a closed account or one without money could NOT be used to fund a milestone.

Once the milestone is funded you know that the client has entered a valid payment method, and the money has been successfully charged from that valid payment method, and has gone physically into Escrow.

IF the payment method has not yet been verified at that point the money is in Escrow and can not be released until the client verifies the pyment method, to prove that it is actually THEIR payment method.

If the client fails to verify the payment method unfortunately the money can't be released to the freelancer, but tht is incredibly rare.

Personally on a fixed rate contract I may do the work before a payment method is verified provided that the milestone has been funded, but would not hand it over to the client until the payment method has been verified.

Highlighted
Oscar G Member Since: Aug 7, 2015
13 of 22

If you "Advise" Against this... then why not just remove the option to even post jobs if they are not verfiied.???

Seems like upwork is always trying to cover their behinds and shift responsability to freelancers..

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
14 of 22

Hi Nancy and Irene,

Please refer to Valeria's reply in this thread.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Chris M Member Since: May 6, 2015
15 of 22

@Vladimir G wrote:

Hi Nancy and Irene,

Please refer to Valeria's reply in this thread.

Hi Vladimir,

It's all very well shifting the responsibility onto the Freelancer.

But surely shouldn't the responsibility be with the Client instead? as per my previous post.

The client should  have to get their payment method verified as part of signing up with Upwork.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
16 of 22

How can you "fund" something with no money? Why does Upwork allow this? Or at least, why doesn't Upwork raise a great, big, red flag for the freelancer, before he or she does the job?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Chris M Member Since: May 6, 2015
17 of 22

@Nichola L wrote:

How can you "fund" something with no money? Why does Upwork allow this? Or at least, why doesn't Upwork raise a great, big, red flag for the freelancer, before he or she does the job?

Exactly Nichola.

It currently seems like a perfect system for unscrupulous clients to take advantage of.

Can we have a moderator contact the development team to get the process changed so that the Client has to verify payment method before posting a job please. That would solve it, Then when it says 'Funded' it will really mean it is funded.

Or would that then open it up to unscruplous freelancers?

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Collin D Member Since: Jul 3, 2015
18 of 22

It really does seem as simple as changing the 'FUNDED' notification, doesn't it? Especially because it's simply not true.

The 'escrow guarantee' thing has always been just a buzzword though, without any real foundation in the truth.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Olga Q Member Since: Sep 5, 2012
19 of 22

@Collin D wrote:

[…]
The 'escrow guarantee' thing has always been just a buzzword though, without any real foundation in the truth.

Exactly! That's why I only work on hourly projects: the guarantee is real.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Igor Y Member Since: Jan 13, 2016
20 of 22

I think people who are saying that clients shouldn't be allowed to post job without having verified payment method are not seeing whole picture so to say and only looking at this from freelancer perspective.

Fact: payment verification takes time and involves moving funds from your card, for example, back and forth.

Now put yourself into client's shoes.

You're new to upwork and you'd like to post a job and see if you can even find freelancer to do it. Imagine next scenarios:

A (current one). You can post a job, interview freelancer, then when you find one, you do that all mumbo jumbo with funding and verifying etc. I'm not sure how it works tbh and this whole topic by Mahmudur makes it look rather weird. Why would it show funded if money were not actually there is a big question and seems like a fail on upwork's side.

B (proposed by a lot of ppl here) You can't post unless you have your payment verified. I think it'd drive away potential clients. I for one wouldn't even bother if I had to give my card details and have my funds moved back and forth while not even knowing if I will be able to find a freelancer. It could just be a pointless waste of time and effort.

C. (probably best one) You can post a job, interview and message freelancers, but when it's time to hire, you can't unless you have your payment method verified and milestone/whole budget funded. Sure, it can cause a delay, but if you're in a hurry, just start verification process right away. This way everyone is happy: freelancers get their money for work they've done and clients don't need to go through the hassle of verifying unless they're sure that they will hire person here.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS