cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This is just sad

Community Leader
Gabriel B Member Since: Nov 25, 2014
1 of 4

I really don't like what's going on oDesk so I kept away from it during the holidays.

Now, out of the blue, I get an invitation for an interview saying:

(Project aboutSmiley Happy "modify an existing Codeigniter based script's admin and front end templates theme to incorporate Ionic framework or Onsen UI , or HTML5 javascript / jQuery / jQuery mobile" [...] "Access given only to (frontend files, nothing about controllers/models/helpers or even views in their whole)

With the interview message of: "I see you have experience with codeigniter"

What does an MVC Framework (such as Codeigniter) have to do with frontend development/Javascript or with the Ionic Framework?

Are people that out of touch with what technology goes where?

Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
2 of 4
I wonder if you were recommended for the job. When I was available for work, I used to get developer jobs on my recommended jobs list and I'm not a developer. (Copywriter and marketing person.)
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
3 of 4

Look at the page of the job post (link to your application, then through to the job page from there). Look at applicants list. Your name will be there listed as "initiated by client".

Now, count the number of applicants who were initiated by client. If there's one or two, then the poster doesn't have a clue, as per your post.

IF THERE ARE TEN (not nine or eleven), then oDesk's mad robot has given a list of what it thinks are good fits to a client who's too lazy to look for him/herself.

Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
4 of 4

GB, yes, people are indeed that out of touch with what technology goes where! Actually, a lot of the job descriptions posted on this platform are a clear indication that clients do not understand exactly what they need.

I have a few past jobs that resulted in payment of $1 or not much more; job descriptions for which I offered advice with my application that helped the prospective client understand and rewrite what it was they really needed. Two jobs resulted in my advice leading toward cheaper, existing solutions, and one led to not needing anything at all saving the client thousands of dollars. In all of those cases, my honesty led to my being hired for other work those clients really needed -- thousands of dollars in earnings.

When working online, being professional, honest, and trustworthy is a necessity. That applies to clients as well as freelancers.

Freelancers that are professional and experts in their fields of study are "solution providers" -- consultants. The best solution might not always involve the services that they provide.

GB, Best of luck with your future endeavors!

Edited 01/09/2015 RT/lwm

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS