Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This is more of a rant...

Highlighted
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
21 of 49
Off-topic: I very much appreciate direct acknowledgement by the moderators when posts are removed or edited (for other than technical infractions). It makes for greater coherence as well as transparency (and is a refreshing contrast to the practice on another work-related forum I frequent).

Best to all,
Michael
Highlighted
Community Guru
Ramon B Member Since: Jan 11, 2015
22 of 49

Easy for you to say. Any comment I make, no matter how innocuous, is taken down so fast I might as well post using snapchat.Cat MadCat MadCat MadCat MadCat Mad

Highlighted
Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
23 of 49
Michael wasn't here during the overnight storm. Some Mods are consistent, some are not.
---- easy like Sunday morning ----
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Jaime L Member Since: May 11, 2015
24 of 49

@Setu M wrote:
Michael wasn't here during the overnight storm. Some Mods are consistent, some are not.

You mean I missed something juicy while I was sleeping?! Darn! Smiley Happy 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Cristian-Adrian F Member Since: May 6, 2015
25 of 49

It seems that my post angered Vladimir/Valeria too. Maybe we should praise for Upwork Inc. and ecourage the ignorance and indifference, I believe that's the way, thanks God.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Jaime L Member Since: May 11, 2015
26 of 49

@Jaime L wrote:

I also wonder what Upwork tells clients is and isn't allowed on job postings? I'm wondering what it looks like. Do they actually have a list of rules pop up? I feel like way too many clients break the terms of service and seem to get away with it.

Can anyone comment on this part? Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
27 of 49

These are the regulations:

2. Job Posts

Great work begins with a great job post. Effective posts are professional, written in English, and accurately describe the services requested.
All job posts must adhere to these policies:
  • Posts may not share or solicit direct contact information prior to interview.
  • Jobs must be free of offensive language and advertisements.
  • Posting the same job multiple times is prohibited.
  • Requesting a service that is illegal or violates intellectual property rights, copyrights or the terms of service of another service, product or website is prohibited.
  • Requesting free work of any kind is prohibited, including contests in which freelancers submit work with no to very little pay, and only the winning submission is paid the full amount.
  • Requesting a fee in order to apply or bid is strictly prohibited.
  • Jobs may not transmit any content related to or containing any adult or sexually explicit material.
  • Requesting the creation of content that violates academic integrity is prohibited.
  • Jobs must be free of spammy content.
  • Job posts should not express any preference or otherwise discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, sexual orientation, military/veteran status or any basis protected by applicable law.

Reading this is not mandatory. But it is available. 

---- easy like Sunday morning ----
Highlighted
Community Guru
Tony H Member Since: Nov 10, 2011
28 of 49

In the end, we need to remember that people who control others - be that government, corporations, or even small clients here - are only as powerful as we let them be.

Without the workers, they have no business. The power IS in OUR hands. There is absolutely nothing in the world that forces anyone to follow a system or bow down to what we may personally feel is unfiar. All we have to to is refuse to use their products or services. We have the power to create our own businesses or change the rules. Nothing is to say we must follow others.

That is 1/2 the reason why we are FREElancers, and no longer employee's working for others. Upwork is a hybrid of that idea, but if we want higher wages and better clients.. all we need to do is stop working for them. Easy.

Let the individual worker decide what is good for them or not.

We can't change the system, because the system does not have our interests as a priority any higher than they need to make a profit. We will ALWAYS be last in line for fair treatment by any organization with self interests in mind. As freelancers we are budding young leaders. WE are the ones with the skills clients sell for profit. If we don't like it... then we can just as easy take control of that and pay our own employee's what we feel is fair. For those without the passion or drive to do so, they need to keep the complaints to themselves and truck along as the choice is theirs to work for less.

Of course we all need a 'stepping stone' between now and then but if the system bothers you, then keep that in mind and work towards freeing others from exploitation with your own socially responsible business. <-- and THAT is exactly the basis of what I do for a living.

Highlighted
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
29 of 49

Setu, thanks for posting the job post regulations. This particular rule is frequently violated, it seems to me:

• Posting the same job multiple times is prohibited.

Lyam B Member Since: Nov 3, 2014
30 of 49

This one got me Smiley Very Happy

• Job posts should not express any preference or otherwise discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, sexual orientation, military/veteran status or any basis protected by applicable law.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS