🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » This is new - kudos to Upwork!
Page options
robin_hyman
Community Member

This is new - kudos to Upwork!

I just completed a fixed-price project and received an overlay image with the client's feedback offering me the option to post it on LinkedIn. 

Well done, Upwork!  Terrific feature to help freelancers promote themselves AND Upwork.  

96 REPLIES 96
gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

Very nice, indeed... Wait, does that open the door for UW to claim a client who finds you on LI connects because of the UW fb?

Phyllis G wrote:

Very nice, indeed... Wait, does that open the door for UW to claim a client who finds you on LI connects because of the UW fb?

Interesting...

Maybe a moderator can jump in and explain its purpose?  

Robin H wrote:

Phyllis G wrote:

Interesting...

Maybe a moderator can jump in and explain its purpose?  

Yes, it will be good to know.
Mods?

Phyllis G wrote:

Like an Amazon referral???

Mark F wrote:

Phyllis G wrote:

Like an Amazon referral???

This would actually be in order.

But no, Upwork won't do it.

The BYOC as it is, is a joke; Upwork isn't yet serious about getting Top Rated freelancers to bring their outside-Upwork clients onto Upwork.

I struggle to see why any sane freelancer would bring their existing client onto Upwork.

0% fee? They already had 0% fee before bringing the client onto Upwork. 0% fee is not an offer.

If Upwork is serious about BYOC, Upwork will  pay freelancers to bring their outside clients onto Upwork.

Abinadab A wrote:

The BYOC as it is, is a joke; Upwork isn't yet serious about getting Top Rated freelancers to bring their outside-Upwork clients onto Upwork.

I would say it's more likely that Upwork was once serious about getting that program underway, but no longer is since they are targeting a different type of clients.

ETA: I just realized that the other part of your post seems to totally misunderstand the issue of opening the door for Upwork to claim the client. That refers to the fact that Upwork is now claiming that anyone referred to you by an Upwork client is considered "arising out of" your relationship with that client on Upwork, and you must only work with that referral client through the platform as well.

This, of course, is catastrophic for everyone, since referrals are the key to a lucrative freelancing business and many prospective clients aren't going to jump through all the hoops of signing up for Upwork and managing the laborious milestone system just to work with a specific freelancer they don't even know yet.

Phyllis G wrote:

😂 Keep an eye out for that update to the TOS. 

Tonya P wrote:

Phyllis G wrote:

😂 Keep an eye out for that update to the TOS. 

An update might be preferable to the untenable interpretation Upwork has been offering lately.

abinadab-agbo
Community Member

Robin H wrote:

I just completed a fixed-price project and received an overlay image with the client's feedback offering me the option to post it on LinkedIn. 

Well done, Upwork!  Terrific feature to help freelancers promote themselves AND Upwork.  

I don't find this to be an excitement-worthy development.

And, that graphic promotes Upwork way, way more than it does the freelancer. So, no, I wouldn't consider using it at this time.

Good thing it's an option, not a requirement.  I'm a marketer so I'm always marketing....

mtngigi
Community Member

Odd. I thought when Linkedin added the job post functionality, Upwork wanted nothing to do with that site ... or something to that effect. Don't recall exactly, but I seem to remember that we had to remove LI links.

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Glad you like the ability to share feedback, Robin!

Clients come to sign up on Upwork every day from many different channels. Sharing great outcomes will encourage more clients to join. While our users are free to post about their success stories on LinkedIn, we have made it easier for our community to share the good work that they continue to deliver. 

Phyllis and others,
We can't respond to a theoretical situation and it will depend on the facts and circumstances. If any user has specific questions about their own situation, we recommend you ask your own advisors. However, we want to remind you that the non-circumvention requirements do include referrals, so for example a client can't refer a freelancer to a co-worker through LinkedIn or otherwise unless they work through Upwork or pay the opt-out fee.
~ Valeria
Upwork

It looks nice... Cat Happy

However I am still waiting for a proper Upwork widget... You know guys, that thing that has been asked for, year after year. Is it so hard to do it? It would encourage potential clients to come and hire freelancers through Upwork easily.

Any complimentary statements that my clients want to share with the world, they have always done (and will continue to do) as a second gesture.  We often endorse each other with all the proper LinkedIn terms to suit the other's profile.  

So no, I for one will not be using the tool; there are far too many unknown repercussions and nothing that benefits marketing either the client or me. And my first obligation is always to my clients.

Valeria K wrote:

Clients come to sign up on Upwork every day from many different channels. Sharing great outcomes will encourage more clients to join. While our users are free to post about their success stories on LinkedIn, we have made it easier for our community to share the good work that they continue to deliver. 

Phyllis and others,
We can't respond to a theoretical situation and it will depend on the facts and circumstances. If any user has specific questions about their own situation, we recommend you ask your own advisors. However, we want to remind you that the non-circumvention requirements do include referrals, so for example a client can't refer a freelancer to a co-worker through LinkedIn or otherwise unless they work through Upwork or pay the opt-out fee.

In terms of my FL business, I'm going to interpret this as a "yes" to Phyllis's question. So, no, I won't be using this feature. 

But, it will be interesting to see what happens when other FLers use it. So, have at it!

I won't be using this feature, either, for the reasons stated above.  It would be quite easy for Upwork to claim that new clients received through posting reviews on LI are referrals arising out of Upwork.  Sorry, but no thanks.

Hmm, Kat, how about you go first?
We'd like to see what happens when you use that feature.

Anyway, I don't think there is any need nor room for ambiguity on this matter, nor advisors as Valeria appeared to suggest.

When you share that graphic on your LinkedIn, and a client who only ever knew you through LinkedIn sees it, and as a result of what you shared on LinkedIn, hires you and pays you outside Upwork, you should have no issues at all.

The client didn't find you on Upwork.

I don't see how this constitutes a "referral". This is more a "testimonial" and is really no different than if you posted your UW review on your own website. Now if the person who made this testimonial personally directs someone to you, then that this is a referral. While I do not have any plans to use this share feature either, I also do not believe that the non-circumvention clause would be in effect for this form of testimonial. 

Scott B wrote:

I don't see how this constitutes a "referral". This is more a "testimonial" and is really no different than if you posted your UW review on your own website. Now if the person who made this testimonial personally directs someone to you, then that this is a referral. While I do not have any plans to use this share feature either, I also do not believe that the non-circumvention clause would be in effect for this form of testimonial. 

Scott, the problem is "referral" isn't part of the standard. Upwork has recently stated that it considers a referral from an Upwork client to be "arising out of" the Upwork relationship, and thus that referred client would be forced to join and use Upwork or you would not be allowed to work with him or her. But, that's just one thing "arising out of" could extend to. It seems here that Valeria is saying that (under at least some circumstances) a prospective client contacting you based on an Upwork review shared in another venue could also be considered "arising out of" (and thus, subject to a two-year lock-in on Upwork).

Tiffany S wrote:

Scott B wrote:

Scott, the problem is "referral" isn't part of the standard. Upwork has recently stated that it considers a referral from an Upwork client to be "arising out of" the Upwork relationship, and thus that referred client would be forced to join and use Upwork or you would not be allowed to work with him or her. But, that's just one thing "arising out of" could extend to. It seems here that Valeria is saying that (under at least some circumstances) a prospective client contacting you based on an Upwork review shared in another venue could also be considered "arising out of" (and thus, subject to a two-year lock-in on Upwork).

Tiffany -

I have read through section 7.1 of the ToS numerous times and I cannot find what you are pointing to about referrals and "arising out of". There is one use of "arising out of" in that section but it does not indicate a referral nor that a generic testimonial is considered a direct referral. If there is another area I am missing where this is officially stated, please let me know.

What Valeria specifically stated (at least in this thread) is: "so for example a client can't refer a freelancer to a co-worker through LinkedIn or otherwise unless they work through Upwork or pay the opt-out fee." However, I don't see how this fits either. The example paints a picture of someone having a personal/direct relationship (i.e. a co-worker). That to me is in fact a referral. A blanket posting of  a review is - to me - a testimonial where we have another party with no relationship or contact with the person who wrote the testimonial. Again maybe there is official language elsewhere but 7.1 doesn't seem to be it. 

Of course the practical issue is that there is no way to determine why a 3rd party contacted a freelancer unless that 3rd party specifically states a reason. Just because a client reaches out to freelancer on LinkedIn doesn't mean they saw or took action from a testimonial. 

I think it is certainly within UW's best interest to be vague and ominous here. They'd like everyone to think they cannot work anywhere but on UW. Maybe I'm walking down the street carrying my UW water bottle when a potential client stops  and asks what I do. I tell them and they offer me work outside of UW. Of course I refuse because having that UW water bottle on me arose out of my relationship with UW and therefore anyone I talk to about business is now bound to use UW. Of course this is ridiculous, but how far does this "referral" notion extend in legal reality versus what the site would like everyone to believe?

Scott B wrote:

Tiffany S wrote:

Scott B wrote:

Tiffany -

I have read through section 7.1 of the ToS numerous times and I cannot find what you are pointing to about referrals and "arising out of". There is one use of "arising out of" in that section but it does not indicate a referral nor that a generic testimonial is considered a direct referral. If there is another area I am missing where this is officially stated, please let me know.

What Valeria specifically stated (at least in this thread) is: "so for example a client can't refer a freelancer to a co-worker through LinkedIn or otherwise unless they work through Upwork or pay the opt-out fee." However, I don't see how this fits either. The example paints a picture of someone having a personal/direct relationship (i.e. a co-worker). That to me is in fact a referral. A blanket posting of  a review is - to me - a testimonial where we have another party with no relationship or contact with the person who wrote the testimonial. Again maybe there is official language elsewhere but 7.1 doesn't seem to be it. 

Of course the practical issue is that there is no way to determine why a 3rd party contacted a freelancer unless that 3rd party specifically states a reason. Just because a client reaches out to freelancer on LinkedIn doesn't mean they saw or took action from a testimonial. 

I think it is certainly within UW's best interest to be vague and ominous here. They'd like everyone to think they cannot work anywhere but on UW. Maybe I'm walking down the street carrying my UW water bottle when a potential client stops  and asks what I do. I tell them and they offer me work outside of UW. Of course I refuse because having that UW water bottle on me arose out of my relationship with UW and therefore anyone I talk to about business is now bound to use UW. Of course this is ridiculous, but how far does this "referral" notion extend in legal reality versus what the site would like everyone to believe?

Indeed, if memory serves, the ToS phrase "arising out of" refers to "work" or a contract, not to a relationship. I believe Valeria's reply in another thread seeming to expand the scope of "arising out of" represents misinformation from whatever person is the source of the new and broader interpretative language.

Tiffany and Scott:

Memory did not serve, and sorry I misread Tiffany's point.

Personally, I think Upwork's position overreaches in that it applies a tortured interpretation to the circumvention "illustration":

• Refer a User you identified on the Site to a third-party who is not a User of the Site for purposes of making or receiving payments off the Site.

Clearly off-site payment is not the "purpose" of making a legitimate business referral, though it can be expected as a consequence if the third party chooses not to join Upwork. Going back from the illustration to the actual violation:

Therefore, for 24 months from the time you identify or are identified by any party through the Site (the “Non-Circumvention Period”), you agree to use the Site as your exclusive method to request, make, and receive all payments for work directly or indirectly with that party or arising out of your relationship with that party (the “Upwork Relationship”).

Note that in a third-party referral, I am neither requesting, making, or receiving any payments for work. Upwork's guns here would seem to be aimed, ill-advisedly and possibly indefensibly, at clients.

Scott:
Ill-advised or otherwise, defensible or unconscionable, nothing prevents Upwork from making this claim. In that sense it doesn't matter what I or any of us think. The larger point—as you suggest—is that Upwork has made clear that they can and may cast the widest possible net to catch commissions or opt-out fees; they will wave the warning flag of circumvention at all of us at every opportunity; and it's futile to expect them to do otherwise unless and until they face a court challenge. This would not be inconsistent with their using one of their own promotional programs to extend the scope of their overreaching.

Douglas Michael M wrote:

Indeed, if memory serves, the ToS phrase "arising out of" refers to "work" or a contract, not to a relationship. I believe Valeria's reply in another thread seeming to expand the scope of "arising out of" represents misinformation from whatever person is the source of the new and broader interpretative language.

Can you provide a link to the thread in question? I'd like to better understand what people are referring to. 

Scott, it was several months ago, shortly after the change to TOS. There was extensive discussion about the impact the TOS language would have on referral relationships, and Upwork staff categorically stated that if an Upwork client referred a client to you, they would consider that to be "arising out of" your Upwork relationship with the original client and would enforce the non-circumvention provisions as to the new relationship.

Since it was several months ago, none of us is likely to have a link handy, or be more able to conduct a search than you are. But, given that so many of us remember it happening and remember it in the same way, it seems like taking a couple of minutes to search might be more productive than repeatedly insisting it isn't so.

FWIW, I absolutely agree with you that it's an overreach of the TOS language, and further suspect that it may be void as against public policy if litigated. But, Upwork has declared its interpretation and intention to enforce, so any freelancer who doesn't feel like either getting suspended or litigating that issue is wise to take them at their word.

Tiffany S wrote:

Scott, it was several months ago, shortly after the change to TOS. There was extensive discussion about the impact the TOS language would have on referral relationships, and Upwork staff categorically stated that if an Upwork client referred a client to you, they would consider that to be "arising out of" your Upwork relationship with the original client and would enforce the non-circumvention provisions as to the new relationship.

Since it was several months ago, none of us is likely to have a link handy, or be more able to conduct a search than you are. But, given that so many of us remember it happening and remember it in the same way, it seems like taking a couple of minutes to search might be more productive than repeatedly insisting it isn't so.

The only link that matters is one that directly points to the agreement. Interpretations through comments made by moderators are great forum fodder but not legally binding. What I did not realize, until your post here, is that there is no legal language I am missing and that this is all based on interpretation of what community moderators have stated in the forum.  

I am not in any position to insist on anything other than stating my interpretation of what is actually written in the language we all agreed to. Two moderators have now responded to this thread and none have pointed to language that speaks of generic testimonials constituting a referral. However, probably all that can be said by anyone with any certainty is for anyone actually concerned about this to consult with their attorney. Most likely that attorney will base their opinion on what is actually in the legal document. Curious if there will be any takers who go spend money with an attorney on this subject. UW bets that almost no one will. I bet they are right. 

Scott B wrote:

The only link that matters is one that directly points to the agreement. Interpretations through comments made by moderators are great forum fodder but not legally binding. What I did not realize, until your post here, is that there is no legal language I am missing and that this is all based on interpretation of what community moderators have stated in the forum.  

Scott, what you are leaving out here (though I'm quite sure you are aware of) is that for the average Upwork user, Upwork's interpretation is all that matters. Like you, I disagree with Upwork's stated interpretation. Perhaps like you, I am in a position to litigate that interpretation if the issue ever arises, and to go on making a living if Upwork abruptly suspends me for something I don't believe they can legally prohibit me from doing. 

You obviously know from the time you've spent in these forums that most Upwork freelancers are not in that position. For those freelancers who are outside the country, who do not have the funds or knowledge to engage in a legal battle, and who cannot afford to be abruptly cut off from their only source of income, Upwork's interpretation is the only one that matters. Because, it won't be a court of law making a ruling in their cases--it will be Upwork pulling the plug and sending one of those auto-responses that says the decision is final and they won't be responding to further messages.

But, of course, you know all that.

So does Upwork. 

I am not in any position to insist on anything other than stating my interpretation of what is actually written in the language we all agreed to. Two moderators have now responded to this thread and none have pointed to language that speaks of generic testimonials constituting a referral. However, probably all that can be said by anyone with any certainty is for anyone actually concerned about this to consult with their attorney. Most likely that attorney will base their opinion on what is actually in the legal document. Curious if there will be any takers who go spend money with an attorney on this subject. UW bets that almost no one will. I bet they are right. 

Actually, consulting an attorney would be virtually useless in this situation, because, again, the ultimate ruling a court would make is not really at issue for most freelancers. What I would anticipate any reputable attorney would say is that the interpretation Upwork has shared appears to be a stretch and possibly against public policy and may well be unenforceable, and that if the freelancer is willing and able to take the risk and has many thousands of dollars for a retainer, the issue can be litigated and there is a fairly good chance that the freelancer will win that battle in one to three years...or, that the freelancer can take Upwork at its word and keep working on the site.

Scott B wrote:

Douglas Michael M wrote:

Can you provide a link to the thread in question? I'd like to better understand what people are referring to. 

I have amended my earlier reply to reflect a better informed criticism. Meanwhile, here is the thread I was referring to.

While I don't recall this issue coming up when the ToS was revised, it was during the ensuing *cough*storm that mods first began passing along Upwork's advice to lawyer up if we had any questions.

Of course this is ridiculous, but how far does this "referral" notion extend in legal reality versus what the site would like everyone to believe?

Scott,

That was my exact point in stating "test this" (for those who are willing). This, in no way, is me being sarcastic (not specifically directed at you) nor an alarmist. Your "me and my Upwork bottle walking down the street" example aside, none of us knows for certain what Upwork is going to interpret as "arising out of" with regard to this feature (that is until -- and if -- we start seeing issues popping up on the forum). 

Abinadab A wrote:
Hmm, Kat, how about you go first?
We'd like to see what happens when you use that feature.

Anyway, I don't think there is any need nor room for ambiguity on this matter, nor advisors as Valeria appeared to suggest.

When you share that graphic on your LinkedIn, and a client who only ever knew you through LinkedIn sees it, and as a result of what you shared on LinkedIn, hires you and pays you outside Upwork, you should have no issues at all.

Was I not clear that I won't be using the feature?  

How about YOU go first? The OP states that she likes the feature, so she's already a test case. 

Go ahead and test your hypothesis that "you should have no issues" by using the feature and then telling Upwork that the graphic you shared on LI landed you a client who is not paying you via Upwork and see what happens; if you want to risk that, by all means, go right ahead. 

Abinadab A wrote:

So, in a nutshell, you're saying that freelancer should disregard the clear statement from an experienced and knowledgeable Upwork employee that in some circumstances Upwork might consider a client finding a freelancer through these reviews to bind the freelancer to working with that client only through the platform and instead rely on the interpretation of a freelancer **Edited for Community Guidelines**

And that this should be based on the fact that you did not read the terms of service and therefore mistakenly believe that the standard in the non-circumvention clause is that the client found you through Upwork? 

Valeria K wrote:

Phyllis and others,

Valeria,
I have a (quite possibly stupid) question - does that include clients brought to UW by freelancers under "bring your own client"program?

So - in theory...if a freelancer brings the client and that client refers the freelancer to a friend - does that mean that friend and freelancer have to work through UW?

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Sanja, 

Again, we won’t be able to comment on hypothetical situations. You can refer to Section 7.1 Opting-out of the User Agreement, specifically this part -

“For the avoidance of doubt, if you, or the business you represent, did not identify and were not identified by another party through the Site, such as if you and another User worked together before meeting on the Site, then the Non-Circumvention Period does not apply”

Feel free to consult about further questions with your legal adviser.

~ Avery
Upwork
tlsanders
Community Member

Avery O wrote:

Hi Sanja, 

Again, we won’t be able to comment on hypothetical situations. You can refer to Section 7.1 Opting-out of the User Agreement, specifically this part -

“For the avoidance of doubt, if you, or the business you represent, did not identify and were not identified by another party through the Site, such as if you and another User worked together before meeting on the Site, then the Non-Circumvention Period does not apply”

Feel free to consult about further questions with your legal adviser.

This is the second time that this statement has been made in this thread.

It seems that what you are saying is that it is unsafe for any freelancer to use your site without seeking legal advice about how to navigate vague terms that you refuse to clarify.

That's quite a statement for a company whose business model purports to make it easy and accessible for individuals to connect with clients.

Can you imagine the widespread public backlash if any large consumer site publicly declared that it would not tell users how to safely use its site and they should instead pay hundreds of dollars per hour to hire an attorney to guess at how a court would rule if/when that company chose to assert any of various possible interpretations?

Better Call Saul! 

Valeria K wrote:

Phyllis and others,

WHAT?? Since when?

Are you saying that if an Upwork client introduces me to another (new/non-Upwork) client, I have to work with that latter through Upwork?

Or am I misunderstanding your statement?

Edited to add: And how would Upwork know anyway? Is that even legally enforceable? Are all these "threats" just to scare freelancers who don't know any better?

j_rains
Community Member

So I'm building out my Social profiles and noticed some UpWork freelancers posting their reviews with what seems to be an UpWork generated image (with a client review) that links back to their profile.

I've seen this specifically on LinkedIn, and I can tell they didn't make the image themselves because (from what I know) you can't make an image post that auto links back to something by clicking on it.

Anybody have any idea as to how that's being done?

I attached an example of one I made, but I'm not a designer and lack creative ability, so If there's an alternative I'd rather do that!

"Hopefully this post doesn't go against community policy, sorry if it does"

Hi Justin. What you've described is a new feature that Upwork added recently. At some point they may offer you the opportunity to have a feedback appear on LinkIn like that. If I remember correctly, I was offered one but turned it down, as I don't use LinkedIn. It probably happened when I last completed a job, but I'm not sure.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Justin, 

I would like to confirm that what you saw on some social accounts is a test. These customers are experiencing the testing of a new feature firsthand and we want their honest, objective feedback. When we share details about a test there is always the concern that sharing too much will affect a user’s natural response to testing and invalidate their feedback. For that reason, we will in most cases not discuss the specifics about a test. While we can’t share more information, we do want and appreciate your feedback. In fact, our design team and engineers are counting on it. We will be glad to pass your comments on as we work to determine which potential features our customers like and don’t like about this test. 

As for your specific question on the design you have created - unless you have written permission from Upwork, you must never use any Upwork Logo Mark:

• On any letterhead, business card, or signature block;
  • As part of your business name or a domain name;
  • As part of a user ID, including on Upwork or social media;
  • In association with any third-party trademark in a manner that might create potential confusion as to the ownership of the Upwork Mark;
  • In any manner that suggests or could lead someone to believe you are acting on behalf of or in association with Upwork or that Upwork has endorsed or sponsored your product or services; or
  • Outside of your relationship with us, except as permitted by Upwork in writing.

You may refer to the Upwork Mark Use Guidelines for more information. 

~ Avery
Upwork
VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Justin,

We appreciate the reach out and the questions you raised. I'd like to follow up on the information Avery shared and confirm that while we encourage you to use the feature we're testing, if you have an opportunity, and share on LinkedIn the graphic it entails and we provide (the one you've seen on Li), please note that you don't have permission to use the Upwork logo and we strongly advise against using it in custom-made graphics, as in the one you had attached to your post here. Thank you.

~ Vladimir
Upwork
dprchal
Community Member

I have had the option to share my feedback on LinkedIn twice. It appears as a post to your followers, and they can click and link directly to your Upwork profile.

A very specific set of steps must be followed to do it. It's tricky, and must be done through a popup window.

I want the ability to post it at my descrecion. 

Steps are;

-Ask client to close contract

-Wait for email from Upwork Notification - "Your contract has ended"

-Click on the "Give feedback button"

-Select Job completed successfully (I assume the client must select the same)

-Leave 5 star feedback

-Submit

- A popup window appears and gives abiltiy to share as a post on LinkedIn. 

Now I am unable to do this any other way, even though it states "not now". 

Can anyone else find a workaround?

Yes I have a video of myself going through the above steps. This is the second time I was able to accomplish this, it yeilded a ton of traction on my LinkedIn. I want to use this ability to structure planned marketing campaigns for myself. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members