brendox

This is not fair!!

How is this possible?

Completely finished my first contract on upwork, was a logo design. So the client can use the logo I made IMMEDIATELY however he wants while I'll have to wait for upwork to release my money in 6 days?? Is this fair?

This was my first job here but it will also be my last.. Very poor payment service Upwork..  Instead of giving the best services to the workers (us) because WE HELP YOU MAKE MONEY you are giving the best services to the clients... I'll wait until my payment is made and I'll have my account closed forever and never get back here.

21 REPLIES 21
petra_r

Ionut S wrote: I'll wait until my payment is made and I'll have my account closed forever and never get back here.

OK ๐Ÿ™‚ ByeBye!

You'd rather not earn anything at all on the platform than tens or hundreds of thousands of Dollars with a 5 day security period, that is obviously entirely your decision.

lysis10

to everything turn turn turn

All the logo designers who don't mind the 5 day security period will thank you for reducing their competition. Cat LOL

How is it possible you began working on a platform without having done any research into how it works including how payment is handled?

cylver1z

Hello Ionut,

We're sorry for the inconvenience but this is part of our standards to ensure security to freelancers and clients. Please click on this link to learn more about the about Upwork Payment Protection.

Untitled
brendox

I will respond within this message to all of you who replied. 

It's not about how much money you make to worth the 5 days waiting period. It's about FAIRNESS! The client gets the project IMMEDIATELY and you the worker are not payed untill afer 5-6 days. This, clearely is not fair to the worker. If I will own upwork or similar platform, it will be in my interest to give the best services to the workers that are bringing me money, because THEY BRING ME MONEY, without them upwork will be zero! Some similar platforms like upwork release the money to the worker in maximum 24 hours which is very resonable. 

Do you think any value is lost if you storm off and leave? 

I think of Donuts when I see your name, btw. Thanks a lot donuts are baaad.

I did not offended you and I'll not do that after you did. It's not about the value but you clearely don't understand my point.

I asked your opinion. Do you think any value is lost if you storm off and leave? Come on now. Tell me. Whisper it to me.

Come on now maybe we can enlighten you on supply and demand, Mr Worker.

I responded to your question but for the second time you CLEARELY DON'T UNDERSTAND... omg..

oic I don't understand

plz explain

u have to wait 5 days for moneys and it's not fair cuz u bring the dolla bills yo to Upwork, so I will really like u 2 explain me what u mean

Lol Community Gurus are so mean these days. Even though I agree on what you meant but can't you do that in a better way knowing that people have feelings ๐Ÿ˜‰ 

This site is by design client friendly not freelancer friendly, as we all know and accept. The reason why upwork is #1 in this field should have explained the logic behind such strategic choice. If one day another site over pass upwork and offers better freelance services, I'll go there without a second thought. But for now, since we don't have any choices, we have to live with it, or quit. As far as I know, no other sites can provide as many as quality jobs as upwork does here, at least in my field. I think in a way it is unfair towards freelancers, but that's by design and won't be changed, at least not in the near future. 

Let's wait for another site beat upwork so that we can all go there one day ๐Ÿ˜‰

@Yang J wrote:

Lol Community Gurus are so mean these days. Even though I agree on what you meant but can't you do that in a better way knowing that people have feelings ๐Ÿ˜‰ 

This site is by design client friendly not freelancer friendly, as we all know and accept. The reason why upwork is #1 in this field should have explained the logic behind such strategic choice. If one day another site over pass upwork and offers better freelance services, I'll go there without a second thought. But for now, since we don't have any choices, we have to live with it, or quit. As far as I know, no other sites can provide as many as quality jobs as upwork does here, at least in my field. I think in a way it is unfair towards freelancers, but that's by design and won't be changed, at least not in the near future. 

Let's wait for another site beat upwork so that we can all go there one day ๐Ÿ˜‰

I hope you understand that the way some freelancers respond, in part stems from the fact that a lot of people coming to the forums with problems just fill out their profiles, get their connects and start bidding. All this without ever once bothering to read, learn, understand and accept all the ins and outs of Upwork's rules and payment processes.

In reality, most of the time the meanness stems from the sheer disbelief we feel at the complete and utter stupidity (yes, I said it) of people not bothering to learn how things work around here. Just because you know how to do something doesn't mean you should sign up on this site and start doing it, without ever once looking at all the information and help pages available to you.

@Ionut S wrote:

I will respond within this message to all of you who replied. 

It's not about how much money you make to worth the 5 days waiting period. It's about FAIRNESS! The client gets the project IMMEDIATELY and you the worker are not payed untill afer 5-6 days. This, clearely is not fair to the worker. If I will own upwork or similar platform, it will be in my interest to give the best services to the workers that are bringing me money, because THEY BRING ME MONEY, without them upwork will be zero! Some similar platforms like upwork release the money to the worker in maximum 24 hours which is very resonable. 

ionut - It is NOT about being fair or not, it's about Upwork. This is their site, this is their policy. When Elance was acquired by Upwork, a lot of us griped about the long security period here, comparing it with a short security period on Elance. We asked, if it worked on Elance, why can't it be the same here.

But it's not about that. Currently, I get paid 2 times a month, on the 15th and 30th of each month. Before that, in another job, I got paid every 2 weeks. Both of those, you can say, aren't fair. Hey, I delivered my services, I did my work why shouldn't I get paid the same day. Sorry, it doesn't work like that.

So, here, on Upwork you have a 6 day waiting period. If you can't deal with that, If you think it's unfair to freelancers, If you know of other sites where payment is much faster, there's nothing holding you back from joining those sites. 

All of us here who complained about the longer hold have come to the realization, that if we want to stay we have to accept that, fair or not. because, this is Upworks site, not ours.

vdubeau

Try working in the B&M world where some companies have a policy of not paying invoices for 30, 60 or 90 days. See what they tell you when you call and tell them it's not fair.

"Remember, no matter where you go, there you are."
Buckaroo Banzai
versailles

Using a freelancing platform without having read the help section beforehand is very weird. If the original poster had done this, he would have learned about the payment protection rules and he wouldn't have created an account on Upwork.

Then, in the brick & mortar business word, good luck for having clients pay faster that the usual 30/60/90 days. So 6 days seems pretty nice to me.

Funny thing is, people with zero business experience and zero knowledge about Upwork, who come here to whine don't get that much sympathy from people with decades of solo business practice under their belts.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   โ€”William Ashbless

@Ionut S wrote:

How is this possible?

Completely finished my first contract on upwork, was a logo design. So the client can use the logo I made IMMEDIATELY however he wants while I'll have to wait for upwork to release my money in 6 days?? Is this fair?

This was my first job here but it will also be my last.. Very poor payment service Upwork..  Instead of giving the best services to the workers (us) because WE HELP YOU MAKE MONEY you are giving the best services to the clients... I'll wait until my payment is made and I'll have my account closed forever and never get back here.

I'm not going to fault you for getting upset.  Yes, the security period is a bit of a pain.  However, that security period gives Upwork time to verify the funds, which is the same period you'd wait for your banking institution to verify a physical check you deposit.  

Also, I've looked at your profile.  That one job paid you pretty well, right?  Do you REALLY feel like giving up on an income like that all over a simple security period?  Think long and hard about that, then think about whether you are going to make the same amount in a regular job where you are.  I already know the answer.

Simply put, don't pack it in just because you were surprised over a waiting period.  Others here are right, you chose not to read the payment terms before starting on Upwork.  However, that is a minor issue.  What you really should be concerned about is the fact that you would give up on a solid income that could potentially provide a very decent living style over something so small.  

Sleep on it and decide, because it's a bigger choice than it seems to be.

~I am only here when I can tolerate having my eyes blasted, my privacy treated like a joke, and my temper pushed to it's limit. For all other times, please request alternate contact methods~

I made a profile on upwork mostly for curiousity, I only have logos in my folio. The thing that I made 300$ (228$ actually) was just pure luck with that client, he contacted me actually. I am not a beginer in this field, I am a UI UX website and graphic designer, I have clients that pay 3000$ for a website design.. I repeat, it's not about the money, it's about fairness and nobody understands!

Let me explain better. I dont care how much money I make here on this platform, the thing that I don't agree with is the process and the upwork services regarding the designers (workers), in this case payment.

Why the designer have to wait 6 days for the money and the client already uses the logo IMMEDIATELY?

Why upwork don't release the source files to the client when the designer has the money available?

If upwork will do this, to send the source files when designer has the money available, THEN IT WILL BE FAIR for both sides.

This is what I am trying to explain but nobody undersands...

@Ionut S wrote:

I made a profile on upwork mostly for curiousity, I only have logos in my folio. The thing that I made 300$ (228$ actually) was just pure luck with that client, he contacted me actually. I am not a beginer in this field, I am a UI UX website and graphic designer, I have clients that pay 3000$ for a website design.. I repeat, it's not about the money, it's about fairness and nobody understands!

Let me explain better. I dont care how much money I make here on this platform, the thing that I don't agree with is the process and the upwork services regarding the designers (workers), in this case payment.

Why the designer have to wait 6 days for the money and the client already uses the logo IMMEDIATELY?

Why upwork don't release the source files to the client when the designer has the money available?

If upwork will do this, to send the source files when designer has the money available, THEN IT WILL BE FAIR for both sides.

We understand just fine. You're ignoring everyone's posts. Had you read all the info available and understood there was a waiting period, fair or not ... you would have left the site and not bothered with it, since you feel so strongly about it. Upwork is not going to change it's policies any time soon, so you can either work and put up with this and make a little money (or not). It's your choice.

Those of us who have been here for awhile are just so very tired of uninformed new people who come here to gripe about something they should have bothered to learn about and agree to, before they started bidding on jobs ... not after.

We understand your theory, it is just a ridiculous one that in no way reflects how normal business is conducted. The client paid the fee when billed. The funds are now being processed before being turned over to you- this is just like any other payment processing system works. If you want payment directly from a client prior to turning over your work, then don't use a platform that requires a processing period. There is nothing unfair about it and your arguments to the contrary at this point seem nothing but childish as do most of the other complaints that involve the word fair

@Ionut S wrote:

When you invoice your clients who pay you $3k for website design do you hold the client's final files until their payment is in your bank account? If so, congratulations, you are in the small group of freelancers who are able to get clients to agree to immediate payment terms. As others have noted, it is very common for corporate entities to have a 30/60/90 day payment term standard. In that case, you would be hard pressed to get the client to agree to wait for delivery of final files until their payment clears.

I'd love to see what my off-platform clients' reactions would be if I were to tell them that they'd receive delivery of final files only after my invoice had cleared their accounts payable department. They'd call the next freelancer on their list and never call me again. And I'd be out of a client.