cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This is very, very strange...

Anonymous User
Not applicable
This widget could not be displayed.

Migrating my data from Elance I started with a job success of 99% (Elance 100%) and while I continue working in Elance successfully I am degraded in Upwork gradually and have now reached 93% already. I regret that I have accepted the invitation so early and think about closing my account here before I will be degraded to 0 percent. 

13 REPLIES 13
yitwail
Community Guru

Margarete,

Before you close your account, you should make sure you can reopen it later if you choose to. I'm under the impression that a closed account can never be reopened, but I may be mistaken.

@John K wrote:

Margarete,

Before you close your account, you should make sure you can reopen it later if you choose to. I'm under the impression that a closed account can never be reopened, but I may be mistaken.

Closed accounts can be re-opened, Support can do it.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I cannot reopen it, yes, I know. But I could degrade myself before an  algorithm does it for me and start as a newcomer at a later time with no reputation at all. If a had migrated a few months later I could have started with 99%, having migrated earlier I will find myself maybe at 50% soon without having done something wrong or disappointed any client, just because not much happens in Upwork at the moment from my side and not much offers that are relevant for me. This is just simple mathematics. 

Additionally I would like to refer to the problem with the invoices addressed to freelancers and clients from Europe that is not solved at the moment in Upwork (solution was promised some weeks ago...) that hinders business with freelancers and clients from Europe and might cause less business.

Starting with a new profile will not help you; your existing work history and a slightly lower JS looks a lot more attractive to potential clients than no work history and no JS.

As for the invoicing problem, supposedly it's being worked on and a solution will appear some time in the not too distant future.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell

@Margarete M wrote:

1. I cannot reopen it, yes, I know. But I could degrade myself before an  algorithm does it for me and start as a newcomer at a later time with no reputation at all.

2. If a had migrated a few months later I could have started with 99%, having migrated earlier I will find myself maybe at 50% soon without having done something wrong or disappointed any client, just because not much happens in Upwork at the moment from my side and not much offers that are relevant for me. This is just simple mathematics. .

1. Yes you can! Or rather Support can do it for you if need be.

2.  You appear to think that your JSS is affected by not winning contracts. This is NOT the case. Whether you win 20 a week or none at all for 6 months has absolutely no bearing on your JSS. It is what happens and has happened with your ended contracts during the past 2 years (at most) that determines your JSS. Whether you win new ones or not does not factor into it at all. It is the Job Success Rate. Not the Proposal Success Rate...

Well, you can't open a new account that's for sure.

You can just decide to close the one that you have and then try to reopen it later through CS assistance, which I would definitely not recommend because you can never be sure who you 'll get in CS  and how they 'll interpret your situation and TOS and the time it 'll take to reopen it etc. 

And there is no real need to close it-just set your profile private and unavailable and then when and if you decide to work again set it on public/available. I mean that is what I 'd do if I were you.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have tried being unavailable for some time. However, the score has decreased during this time.

Margarete, that score (JS) is unpredictable. It  depends on the timeframe, so it doesn't mean it 'll  keep decreasing. It may increase when you least expect it without any particular or obvious reason (and for the record, I am not defending JS here at all.)  My JS  also fluctuated for no reason at all (unless you take into account that 6, 12 months, 2 years explanation.) 

I mean, maybe just go with Jennifer's advice and leave the profile active. I gave you advice about closing the profile because you asked for it, but I think that at this point you really won't gain anything by closing and reopening your profile (and anyway, I wouldn't recommend it.)

m_njari
Community Guru

Margarete, don't give up too soon.

First of all, you aren't targeted for this decline because you are newly arrived from Elance. Some of us who were in odesk before can attest to a similar experience. I began at, I think, 95%, short through to 99% and as fast as I rose I went down to the edge - 90%. Now am at 92%. And guess what? Knowing where I stand these days is just incidental. I'm not so keen on checking the rise and fall of my Job Score. I just concentrate on working to my best. If you continue with your work as you have done before, I doubt you will need to worry about hitting that dangerous low - at least that's what I tell myself to avoid the emotional upheaval.

suznee
Community Guru

I agree with Mercy. I started with 100% and stayed there for some time and now I am at 93% and it hasn't budged but of course I haven't taken any new jobs as of lately. But don't get discouraged. If you do short term jobs it will be fairly fast you can bring it back up. I do long term so it doesn't happen so fast.

einatcooper
Active

Hi all,

I have read Margarete's message with enthusiasm because this is JUST what I was looking for!

I migrated my Elance account and received a message from Upwork for being top-rated, and was very happy.

However - since I have an account on Upwork, for more than 2 months now, I have not been able to get a SINGLE job!

I was very successful on Elance, so much so that Elance tried recruiting me as something they call a project consultant, but I can't catch a break on Upwork - not a single bid was successful...

I have gone down to 83% because of that, which is a vicious cycle since clients will be more reluctant to award me jobs now...

In my view, the new website is geared much more towards clients than towards freelancers (is that just me?), and the system is harder to use, both on the computer and on mobile. The app is rubbish, it doesn't let you do anything.

There is much less information that freelancers can use about their competition, to see where they are placed, if their bids are reasonable etc., and I find that clients' budgets are ridiculously low, because it's a "catch as catch can" on this new bidding mechanism!

I LOVED working on Elance, and it was a great source of income for me. This is my livelihood, but I fear that with this changing online climate for freelancers, rates are just going to drop, and it will become harder and harder to stay "in the game".

Thank you for letting me vent! I hope to have feedback on what you think!

Einat

@Einat C wrote:

I migrated my Elance account and received a message from Upwork for being top-rated, and was very happy.

However - since I have an account on Upwork, for more than 2 months now, I have not been able to get a SINGLE job!

I was very successful on Elance, so much so that Elance tried recruiting me as something they call a project consultant, but I can't catch a break on Upwork - not a single bid was successful...

I have gone down to 83% because of that, which is a vicious cycle since clients will be more reluctant to award me jobs now...

Hi Einat,

Have you tried going for some quick and simple shorter contracts, to help bolster your JSS score?

Not winning contracts does not negatively affect your score, it must have been connected to your ended contracts. Either because recently ended ones were not rated as highly as they could have been, or because very successful ones which previously bolstered your score fell outside the 2 year window, or a combination of the two for example.

You know what I find strange? My job score was 100%...and due to a set of unforeseen circumstances, all happening in the space of two weeks....mine plummeted...to below 80% actually. So I had to make a decision: let a number ruin me, or say stuff that! Well, I picked the later. And carried on doing my thing.

Now, here is the strange part. Since losing my little green badge, I have gained a few VERY good contracts, and in the past number of weeks, the green stuff has been smiling at me. 

The moral of this little storey is this: at the end of the day, the client does not necessarily look at your little badge...we attach more importance to it than what it merits...so too a 100% JS. I feel a client is looking for someone who 'fits'...and that first impressions are more important than anything else..this being your proposal, and what goes with it. Once you have caught their attention, and you go through the interview process and present yourself well, your JS score is NOT the defining factor! After all, it is only a number! *Besides...let me tell you something....NOBODY has ever asked me...ever...what my university scores were...they always just wanted to know...am I qualified?)

WE, on the other hand, are the ones who attach importance to it...and yes, it is a 'nice to have"...but NOT a necessity, and NOT a requirement to make a decent living. 

Do I want it again? Sure I do! But is it my alpha and omega? Reason for being on Upwork? No.

I did not become a freelancer to earn a badge. I became a freelancer to earn money....and at the end of the day...that really is the only green that counts.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS