Those Invites - or - Inquiring Mind Wants To Know

mickenpa
Ace Contributor
Michele P Member Since: Mar 2, 2016
1 of 4

Me again looking for an answer

Here's my problem

I have received several Invites to interview for jobs

Except for 2 the others have all eventually asked to move the "interview" to either yahoo or google chat

Now I have also found in postings that if you decline too many of these "invites" it hurts you as your profile will not be brought up when a real client does a search (like the two possible jobs I currently have pending from invites)

Last night I spent an hour - yes - an hour on google chat with an "interview" - didn't have much going on so it was an hour playing a game in a way for me

At the end they told me I would need several specialized software that I would need to get from their approved 3rd party vendor - yes they would be sending a check to cover the cost but course not buying the software and not holding my breath for a check either

SO to make a short question long

How do you check an invite to see if its a valid client?

Does declineing an interview really affect your profile being pulled up when a REAL client does a search?

Thanks - M

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
BEST ANSWER
2 of 4

You'll get the check. It will bounce though. Yahoo is always a scam. I've had people meet on Hangouts, but gchat is certainly a scam. Hangouts is usually a scam.

Declining doesn't hurt you. If you are new, I would stick to the marketplace for "real" gigs. Invites are good but when you are new, there are a lot of scammers. 

If you think the job looks legit, accept the interview but ignore if they try to take it offline to yahoo or gchat. 

View solution in original post

oquintela
Community Guru
Olga Q Member Since: Sep 5, 2012
3 of 4

@Michele P wrote:

[…]

Now I have also found in postings that if you decline too many of these "invites" it hurts you as your profile will not be brought up when a real client does a search (like the two possible jobs I currently have pending from invites)

[…] 

I decline 98% of invites; I receive an average of 20/month - in other words, I don't see a decline in invites although I decline the vast majority.

stephenbrightman
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
4 of 4

Who knows what goes on behind the scenes at Upwork really, and nobody can really answer your question; but to my understanding, declining invitations has no affect on you - only ignoring them does (lessens your availability rating.) So declining them is better than ignoring them.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS