cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thought I'd landed a job, but then silence...

Jennifer H Member Since: Jan 26, 2019
1 of 9

I was in conversaton with an employer, he seemed to like my experience and was eager to read a sample article he'd requested, but then he went silent. I'm not sure if I did something wrong or he didn't like my article. It would have been nice to at least get a rejection note instead of the silent treatment. It's discouraging because I haven't gotten a job since....any thoughts or suggestions?  Thanks. 

Jennifer H.

Ace Contributor
Juan C Member Since: Nov 21, 2013
2 of 9

People are rude. Most so called "clients" can't afford a professional, they spam this site constantly in their dream to achieve everything that they don't deserve, because some blog or article inspired them to do so. Improve your business and expect better opportunities to come your way.

Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
3 of 9

Jennifer H wrote:

I was in conversaton with an employer, he seemed to like my experience and was eager to read a sample article he'd requested, but then he went silent. I'm not sure if I did something wrong or he didn't like my article. It would have been nice to at least get a rejection note instead of the silent treatment. It's discouraging because I haven't gotten a job since....any thoughts or suggestions?  Thanks. 

Jennifer H.

Was this sample something you wrote specifically for the client? Did you arrange a contract for him to pay for the sample? If the answers are a yes followed by a no, you just gave someone a free article. You won't hear from that "client" again. 

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
4 of 9

If it was an article the client requested you create as a sample, it was almost certainly a scam. Dishonest clients get a lot of free work that way, without ever intending to actually hire anyone. That's why Upwork's TOS prohibit clients from asking you to do that.

If it was just a sample of your prior work that you provided, the client may have asked multiple people for samples (they typically do) and then chosen someone else. Or, he/she may just not have gotten back to you yet. I've had clients circle back and hire me after a week or a month or in one case after three months. Very often, whatever project they're outsourcing is pretty low on their priority list.

I wouldn't expect to hear back from many clients who decide not to hire you, though. It will happen occasionally, but it's not the norm in this type of setting at all.

Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
5 of 9

Jen, butnifer H wrote:

Jennifer H.

Don't worry about it. Clients often interview a number of people. Some interview 20 and never hire anyone. (I don't know why.) If you have established a connection with a client, but he goes with somebody else, sometimes you receive a nice note telling you that, but just don't expect it, it's the nature of online business.

You have a good profile, you will find jobs soon. Maybe structure your overview a little better, take some tests, and don't fall for scammers. A US newbie is a prime target for the old check cashing scheme, let us know if they tried it, but you could be spared because you don't come across as naive.

Community Guru
Melanie H Member Since: Nov 2, 2017
6 of 9
OP, so you mean that you wrote a "sample" article for him, with no job in place?

If so, the client is getting free work this way, not just from you but probably from others.
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
7 of 9

Jennifer H wrote:

I was in conversaton with an employer, he seemed to like my experience and was eager to read a sample article he'd requested

He was probably eager to read all the free articles he requested from a bunch of freelancers, getting a lot of nice free articles without having to hire anyone...

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
8 of 9

You worked for free and provided him with an article, which is what he wanted.

What purpose would he have in communicating with you any further?

Community Guru
Sanja D Member Since: Dec 18, 2013
9 of 9

Whenever you see a job posting asking for sample work, or client asks for a sample during the interview,  just click on "flas as inappropriate" link  and choose "asking for free work" option - and you're done with that client ;-)

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS