🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Threat to Report Freelancer on Upwork
Page options
marycimeni
Community Member

Threat to Report Freelancer on Upwork

Hi,

So I just had this client on Upwork that threatens to report my profile. Actually we haven't started any contract yet. He sent me an offer but I failed to see it because I was down for the whole week due to sickness caused by the haze. So the offer expired and I wasn't able to message him, which is why he threatens to report me.

Anyone can give the implications or possibilitties in this situation? Can someone report a freelancer's profile though there wasn't any contract in the first place? Or put it simply, can a client report a freelancer for not replying to him?

Thank you so much, I appreciate all your answers.

11 REPLIES 11
abinadab-agbo
Community Member

While freelancers are encouraged to be responsive when clients contact them, unresponsiveness before a contract was ever in place isn't in any way, shape or form a ground for reporting a freelancer.

The client could simply have proceeded to choose another freelancer once they noticed you were not available. Switching their focus to another freelancer costs them nothing.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Mary Junriza C wrote:

Hi,

So I just had this client on Upwork that threatens to report my profile. Actually we haven't started any contract yet. He sent me an offer but I failed to see it because I was down for the whole week due to sickness caused by the haze. So the offer expired and I wasn't able to message him, which is why he threatens to report me.

Anyone can give the implications or possibilitties in this situation? Can someone report a freelancer's profile though there wasn't any contract in the first place? Or put it simply, can a client report a freelancer for not replying to him?

A profile can be flagged for a number of reasons, not replying to an offer or invite is not one of them. Of course somebody could also open a help-desk ticket for a complaint. 

I would not worry about it, it's unlikely the client will go so far, and even if he did, I don't see any consequences. Thank your lucky stars that you avoided this client.

Martina P wrote:

Mary Junriza C wrote:

Hi,

A profile can be flagged for a number of reasons, not replying to an offer or invite is not one of them. Of course somebody could also open a help-desk ticket for a complaint. 

I would not worry about it, it's unlikely the client will go so far, and even if he did, I don't see any consequences. Thank your lucky stars that you avoided this client.

Nothing to add, just wanted to draw attention to your point.

Feel it's an important one.

Martina P wrote:

Thank your lucky stars that you avoided this client.

Seconded. 
It sounds as though you have dodged a bullet there, Mary. Be thankful and don't worry, nothing will happen if all you did was to not accept the offer. 

tlbp
Community Member

A potential client, random person on the internet, anyone can "report" a profile. Not responding to an offer is not an issue that would get you in trouble.

However, if someone draws attention to your profile and Upwork then looks at it and finds anything that does violate TOS, you could have a problem. So, it is better to avoid attention whenever possible, IMO. Nothing you can do in this instance. 

I agree, you are lucky to have avoided working with what sounds like a very unpleasant person. 

Maybe I will send a message to Brad Pitt asking him to star in my next Upwork profile video. If he does not respond, I will threaten to report him to IMDB.com

Preston H wrote:

Maybe I will send a message to Brad Pitt asking him to star in my next Upwork profile video. If he does not respond, I will threaten to report him to IMDB.com

Don't bother, tried that exact thing. IMDB ignored my futile threats.
IMDB community laughed at me when Mr Pitt shared this with them.

I still blame Mr Pitt.

I actually spit out a fresh sip of espresso laughing on that one. That humor was much needed today.

florydev
Community Member

Mary Junriza C wrote:

Hi,

Look at that bullet you dodged...

On a completely unsolicitied side note, I think you should raise your rates and hopefully attract a better class of customer that does not try to bully you.  I think at the very least you should go above $10 to be in the $10-$30 category when a client searches.  Just a thought.

lysis10
Community Member

It's v v cute and precious when they threaten to report me. When they actually pick up the phone and call and rage, I just want to pinch their little cheeks.

MJC,

BTW- What's "the haze"???

And, of course, how does one avoid it?

Sincerely,

wb

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members