Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Threatened & extorted by client

aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
21 of 53

Hi Katarina, 

I'm sorry if you think that your thread was zapped. It automatically went to our spam quarantine and had to be fished out. I reviewed all your open tickets, and the dispute and can see that you already have come to an agreement with your client. I have followed this up with the Disputes team so that they can get back to you the soonest. 

~ Avery
Upwork
dkatria
Katarina Đ Member Since: Aug 31, 2017
22 of 53

Hi Avery,

part of my issue is that, yes I have come to an agreement with client, but he didn't yet honor that agreement, even though a week passed. Instead he was busy requesting a charge back on false information.

financemark
Community Guru
Mark K Member Since: Jul 7, 2016
23 of 53

Katarina,

Some truths:

#1 This is an Internet-based, free-for-all, global, race-to-the-bottom job posting site -- which should give us all great pause and concern.

#2 How you react to a client who says such things (if that is the case - we have not heard clients side) - can determine if you end up resolving the problem without losing your $ (or all of you $) and your mind.  Ive learned the hard way.  From your notes, my guess is that you went to the dark side right away.  Not excusing chumpy client behaviors, but your reaction is under your control.

#3 UW indeed mysteriously loses threads such as these -- (see #1 above)

Possible Solution:

I had a nefarious client stiff me for several thousand $ here.  I asked to speak to his manager - and he became very defensive.  I closed the project here b/c I did not have adequate payment protection.  (NOTE: you are completely and entirely hammered every time without it).

It was a sizeable chunk of cash -- so I posted a very professional, balanced but honest assessment of the company on GlassDoor.  Two days later the President of the Co called me -- he got both sides and apologized for the person's shenanigans and asked how to make it right.  I said pay me the x thousand dollars.  He sent a check that day.   May not always work, but it was nice to feel some green vindication. 

Good luck.

Be Positive -- Move Forward!

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
24 of 53

@Mark K wrote:

Possible Solution:

I had a nefarious client stiff me for several thousand $ here.  I asked to speak to his manager - and he became very defensive.  I closed the project here b/c I did not have adequate payment protection.  (NOTE: you are completely and entirely hammered every time without it).

It was a sizeable chunk of cash -- so I posted a very professional, balanced but honest assessment of the company on GlassDoor.  Two days later the President of the Co called me -- he got both sides and apologized for the person's shenanigans and asked how to make it right.  I said pay me the x thousand dollars.  He sent a check that day.   May not always work, but it was nice to feel some green vindication. 

You were paid outside of Upwork?

tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
25 of 53

Seriously, that's the concern? He wasn't paid outside of Upwork he negotiated a settlement. 

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
26 of 53

Well, yeah...it's a concern now that he's posted it in the forums and is at risk of having his account suspended/banned for circumvention.

barada00
Community Guru
Baris A Member Since: Mar 15, 2017
27 of 53

@Tiffany S wrote:

Well, yeah...it's a concern now that he's posted it in the forums and is at risk of having his account suspended/banned for circumvention.

Maybe he can send a check with 20% of the amount he received to Upwork for their help (!).

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
28 of 53

@Tiffany S wrote:

Upwork ain't gonna do jack if someone just refuses to pay. Suspended client account? Who cares. They can just make a new one. He has every right to go after his money by other means if someone just says "nope, not paying. Upwork can ban me don't care." And that does happen. There are zero repercussions for a client to bail on a payment. Sure, the account is suspended, but really who cares as a client.

dkatria
Katarina Đ Member Since: Aug 31, 2017
29 of 53

Hi Mark!

I realise that, by judging my messages in this thread, it might seem that I acted this way from the start, but please keep in mind that my issue with this client has started on 31st of August. And actually, I was more than polite, while the client kept calling me names and accusing me of every nonsense he could think of. I have screenshots of proof of everything I am saying, and already sent them to support numeruous times but to no avail.

The first time I reacted this angry and mad was when I made this post, since I realised I have been played for two weeks straight, and ended up in debt.

Should I have just let him go away with all the cash and almost all files, and not open a dispute? Should I have catered to his every whim and put myself in a very difficult and compromising position?

tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
30 of 53

If the client fails to pay after agreeing to do so during the dispute process, then you must file for arbitration. (Yes, you have to shell out $$$ to get any real recourse.) If he does pay and then files a chargeback via Paypal or some other third-party, you will have to explain the whole thing again via that entity's dispute process. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS