cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Threatened & extorted by client

dkatria
Katarina Đ Member Since: Aug 31, 2017
41 of 53

I would be more than happy to receive a proper response from support team yet regarding all of client's threats, for which I have provided proof.
And in all honesty, him being suspended or anything like that, doesn't reasure me at all, in any way. I still am in debt, even though I informed Upwork support that client threatened to request a charge back on false information, more than two weeks ago. This could have been prevented, or Upwork could at least look into his claim, as it is obviously charge back fraud.

All in all, I was left alone to deal with an unreasonable and agressive client and to later find myself in substantial debt. What is the purpose of Upwork support, again?

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
42 of 53

@Katarina D wrote:

I would be more than happy to receive a proper response from support team yet regarding all of client's threats, for which I have provided proof.

And in all honesty, him being suspended or anything like that, doesn't reasure me at all, in any way. I still am in debt, even though I informed Upwork support that client threatened to request a charge back on false information, more than two weeks ago. This could have been prevented, or Upwork could at least look into his claim, as it is obviously charge back fraud.

Katarina, I'm in no way minimizing how upsetting this is for you, but what, specifically, would you like Upwork to do? Upwork can file a challenge to the chargeback with the bank (and should, though I don't know whether or not they will.) Beyond that, what is it that you think the company can do? The only other authority they have is to suspend or ban the client, which they probably will/have, but you say you don't care about that..so what specifically are you looking for?

All in all, I was left alone to deal with an unreasonable and agressive client and to later find myself in substantial debt. What is the purpose of Upwork support, again?

To assist you in using the platform as intended and to address issues that arise within the operation of the platform or the user agreement. It is definitely not to manage your relationship with your client (and, if Upwork did assume that responsibility, a great many of its bread-and-butter clients and freelancers would likely find somewhere else to do business).

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
43 of 53

@Katarina D wrote:

They all threaten. lol I've been in 5 disputes I think and every time they are all gonna get me and teach me a lesson lol. I like it though. Their anger feeds me. I love it. The angrier they get, the more I feel I won. The last one I bent him over one last time and had his feedback removed before it ever hit my JSS. lol

srk1xz2
Srdjan F Member Since: Sep 13, 2017
44 of 53

Hello everyone,

I was wondering how is it possible for a client to go in his bank where he made payment to Upwork account, after the job has already been done(after he gave 5 stars and everything went well), decline payment and walk out as a free man with stolen money?

Doesn't Upwork have like a contract with banks that once the money is on the platform it stays there for good(so that client can't request refund FROM HIS OWN BANK!).

If not, then this is VERY, VERY concerning.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
45 of 53

@Srdjan F wrote:

Hello everyone,

I was wondering how is it possible for a client to go in his bank where he made payment to Upwork account, after the job has already been done(after he gave 5 stars and everything went well), decline payment and walk out as a free man with stolen money?

Doesn't Upwork have like a contract with banks that once the money is on the platform it stays there for good(so that client can't request refund FROM HIS OWN BANK!).

Possible, but even after a dispute where they threatened to do it, it didn't happen. This is why I prefer to stick with companies. Not the fake ones that post. The real ones. The real ones won't bother. 

It's the same as any other business. Chargebacks are a risk you have to incorporate into your cost.

tlsanders
Community Guru
46 of 53

@Srdjan F wrote:

Hello everyone,

This has nothing to do with Upwork. It's a widespread problem. Google "chargeback fraud".

srk1xz2
Srdjan F Member Since: Sep 13, 2017
47 of 53

I guess, but I'm asking if Upwork has any mechanism to prevent this from happening or resolving it without putting designer in harm's way.

tlsanders
Community Guru
48 of 53

@Srdjan F wrote:

I guess, but I'm asking if Upwork has any mechanism to prevent this from happening or resolving it without putting designer in harm's way.

No more so than any business does. It's a huge problem for any business that accepts electronic payments. There is a dispute process, but it's complicated for a variety of reasons, including a widespread misuse of or lack of clarity in reason codes that makes it difficult for the challenging party to know exactly what evidence would be appropriate.

24ace9e5
Alex C Member Since: Mar 28, 2017
49 of 53
how did you contact the dispute agent? I can't find any info on the upwork site which scares me a tad.
tlsanders
Community Guru
50 of 53

@Alex C wrote:
how did you contact the dispute agent? I can't find any info on the upwork site which scares me a tad.

Alex, you should be scared, but not of Upwork--of entering your credit card information on a site without taking time to learn anything about how it works. There are reams of information available on the site, including an explanation of the dispute process that makes it clear that it doesn't apply to your present situation. 

Have you talked to the freelancer?

Have you checked the history to see whether and when the milestone was submitted (so you know whether something went wrong or you must missed a request)?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS