🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Three times today I have been asked by potent...
Page options
carringtongill54
Community Member

Three times today I have been asked by potential clients for my written strategy

with promises of getting hired but nothing concrete. One after an hour long interview during which we talked about strategy and which required a couple of hours research itself. I have basically wasted a day working for nothing. These clients may or may not be genuine but I am seeing a lot of my time go down the pan. I am not new to Upwork and this is the first time this has happened to me. Any suggestions?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
colettelewis
Community Member

Gillian C wrote:

with promises of getting hired but nothing concrete. One after an hour long interview during which we talked about strategy and which required a couple of hours research itself. I have basically wasted a day working for nothing. These clients may or may not be genuine but I am seeing a lot of my time go down the pan. I am not new to Upwork and this is the first time this has happened to me. Any suggestions?

Given your qualifications, I see it as clients wanting to pick your brains for nothing. Make it clear from the beginning, what you are prepared to discuss without a contract in place. Any strategy that requires two hours research should be payable.  

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
tlbp
Community Member

I think you need to treat it like any professional service business, decide how much time you are willing to invest in a pitch based on the value of the contract. But, weigh in favor of not spending a lot of time because it is pretty easy for a stranger on the internet to walk away from a proposal and some may just be fishing for ideas with no intention of paying. 

If your current pitching method depends on gathering information, a better strategy might be to present a "Here's what I'll do..." type pitch to get a contract in place. Then, get paid to gather that information. 

Thanks. I am being sent documents and being asked to edit them and/or provide a written strategy. For the contract value, one of them has probably already had the full value so far. I realise you have to trail your coat a little, but my judgment call is that in 2/3 of the cases today, they were fishing, not serious.

colettelewis
Community Member

Gillian C wrote:

Given your qualifications, I see it as clients wanting to pick your brains for nothing. Make it clear from the beginning, what you are prepared to discuss without a contract in place. Any strategy that requires two hours research should be payable.  

Extremely helpful, thanks.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members