🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Thumbnail in portfolio is blurry
Page options
springkick
Community Member

Thumbnail in portfolio is blurry

All my portfolio thumbnails started off high quality but now they are blurry. All the new ones I upload are now blurry. Can you please help?

Thanks,

11 REPLIES 11
mystudiomke
Community Member

Take your high-quality thumbnail option and re-size them to the portfolio size give by upwork. Try that and see if that works. I had to do the same. 

Lila

Dan:

Lila is right.

Your particular portfolio files aren't the same as mine or Lisa's. So you may need to experiment with some different sizes and settings, but you'll get it.

Hi Preston. I've tried a few different resolutions, ones at 1400px, ones at the size of the upWork thumbnail, few in between, but all seem blurry which is odd...

Hi Lila. I've tried that but it doesn't work either. I've tried a few different resolutions but they all seem to be blurry.

springkick
Community Member

Hi all, does anyone have any suggestions on this at all or a workaround please? I've uploaded different file formats (jpg, png), different resolution (300px, 800px, 3000px), different types of images (photos, illustrations) and they are still coming out blurry. See the attached file as an example.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan:

I am looking at your portfolio right now.

I do not see why you say that the thumbnail images look blurry.

They don't look blurry to me.

When you view your portfolio and compare it to the portfolios of others... do your thumbnail images look notably worse than those of others?

Preston H wrote:

I do not why you say that the thumbnail images look blurry.

They don't look blurry to me.

You have got to be kidding. Either that or one of us is in urgent need of an ophthalmologist...

Blurry even on a 27"  iMac screen.

Okay, I can see why the thumbnail images in his profile might be considered "blurry" if one looks at them closely.

But the quality of these images doesn't strike me as notably different than what I see in other freelancers' portfolios.

Preston H wrote:

Okay, I can see why the thumbnail images in his profile might be considered "blurry" if one looks at them closely.

You don't need to look closely. They are blurry - period. Notably so

Preston H wrote:

But the quality of these images doesn't strike me as notably different than what I see in other freelancers' portfolios.

And that's ok how?

On a graphic designer's profile it's bad whether other peoples' are too or not.

I suspect Upwork tries to keep storage and page loading time down and makes files as small as possible, with the sh*tty quality as a side effect.

it doesn't so much matter for text based portfolios.

Dan G wrote:

Hi all, does anyone have any suggestions on this at all or a workaround please? I've uploaded different file formats (jpg, png), different resolution (300px, 800px, 3000px), different types of images (photos, illustrations) and they are still coming out blurry. See the attached file as an example.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Somebody did look into this - maybe 6 months ago? - and posted about it on the forum (after he apparently did loads of experimenting). I tried his suggestions but my thumbnails still look blurry, although they're a lot better than they were before. I'll see if I can track down the thread for you.

When I first joined this website from Elance, my portfolio looked fine, then a year or so later, everything was blurry. I have no idea what went wrong.

Hi Dan - I found the post:

"All you have to do so your portfolio thumbnails won't get pixelated and ugly looking is just to save them as PNG!

Resolution 1345x1000px and save them as PNG, thats it."

(I did try this though, and my images are still blurrier than I'd like, in an ideal world.)

There's a whole thread about the topic here: https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Thumbnail-in-portfolio-is-blurry/td-p/512112

If you do figure it out, please let us know. 

OT, I see that you're a Bristolian? I've been thinking about moving there. (And now you're thinking, "Yeah, great - more bloody Londoners cluttering up the place. Brilliant.")

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths