🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Thumbs Down - Need a "Gender not a match" opt...
Page options
michaeldekkervo
Community Member

Thumbs Down - Need a "Gender not a match" option

Far too often, the suggested jobs listed have a hard gender requirement that does not match. Either the matching algorithm is already broken, or we need a thumbs down list option to say "Gender not a match".

For instance, I am male, and a listing says "Male" and "Female", that is OK, as I am a match for at least one of the genders. However if the listing ONLY has "Female", I should not be seeing that...

Thoughts?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

Michael:

I am certain that your sentiments are sincere.

But you need to let this go.

It is not going to happen.

Your problem is that you are a voice actor and you are thinking of Upwork as a site for voice actors.

But that is not what it is.

Upwork is a general purpose freelancer work site.

So gender is not an integral feature of a job posting.

In fact, if you really want a useful way of thinking, you should think of Upwork as a website used to hire web developers, but it also happens to allow voice actors to use the site. Then ask yourself: Why should a client who hires a freelancer to create a website that sells pet supplies care if the freelancer is male or female?

Answer: He doesn't care.

There's your answer.

Upwork avoids making modifications to its system based on specific job niches. Especially job niches that comprise such a tiny percentage of its overall business.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
prestonhunter
Community Member

Michael:

I am certain that your sentiments are sincere.

But you need to let this go.

It is not going to happen.

Your problem is that you are a voice actor and you are thinking of Upwork as a site for voice actors.

But that is not what it is.

Upwork is a general purpose freelancer work site.

So gender is not an integral feature of a job posting.

In fact, if you really want a useful way of thinking, you should think of Upwork as a website used to hire web developers, but it also happens to allow voice actors to use the site. Then ask yourself: Why should a client who hires a freelancer to create a website that sells pet supplies care if the freelancer is male or female?

Answer: He doesn't care.

There's your answer.

Upwork avoids making modifications to its system based on specific job niches. Especially job niches that comprise such a tiny percentage of its overall business.

michaeldekkervo
Community Member

True, Upwork shouldn't care.

From that perspective, I'll close this "issue" and rephrase in a new issue/question.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members