🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Time Tracker Issue
Page options
exinox
Community Member

Time Tracker Issue

Hello Upwork,

I regret to inform you that your Upwork Tracker is outdated and ridiculous.

I worked 3 hours and 30 minutes and and current session was 3 hours and 30 minutes but when i check to today's work it only tracked 2 hours and 40 minutes. Such a ridiculous service you are providing.

How do i work? Can you please " EXPLAIN "?

Thanks.

13 REPLIES 13
petra_r
Community Member

Gautam C wrote:

I worked 3 hours and 30 minutes and and current session was 3 hours and 30 minutes but when i check to today's work it only tracked 2 hours and 40 minutes. 

How do i work? Can you please " EXPLAIN "?

The tracker counts aktive (!) 10 minute segments. "Active" means that there is either keyboard or mouse activity in any given 10 minute segment. 

So it seems that your tracker was "ON" for 3 hours and 30 minutes, but you had 5 x 10 minute segments which had neither keyboard nor mouse activity. Clients aren't charged for such idle segments.

exinox
Community Member

What about freelancer safety? there are no such a rules you did make.

exinox
Community Member

The tracker was automatically closed while working. What about that?

Hi Gautam,

The Desktop App stops tracking time when you've gone idle or recognizes that there is no trackable activity, such as keystrokes or clicks. If you were working during a period when the Desktop App recognized you were idle, you should discuss adding the time manually with your client. Feel free to check out this help article for more information.

Feel free to check out this help article as well to learn more about Hourly protection.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
petra_r
Community Member

Gautam C wrote:

What about freelancer safety.

What do you mean?

Gautam C wrote:

There are no such a rules you did make.

That is how the tracker has always worked, you just didn't inform yourself how the tracker works before using it. It's always a good idea to figure out how something works before using it...

9cc88f65
Community Member

Hi, I have similar issue.In my case, I was on webex meeting with my client for 2 hrs 17 mins, time trackers shows that. But what was logged is only 1hr 20mins. The whole time, it was my client who was presenting. I told my client about this, and he agreed to manually adjust. But for future events like this, how can I make sure that the actual and official time tracked on the tracker is what will be logged on my diary when I attend webex meetings only?

petra_r
Community Member

Zaida R wrote:

...how can I make sure that the actual and official time tracked on the tracker is what will be logged on my diary when I attend webex meetings only?

You have to make sure you have keyboard and/ or mouse activity in every 10 minute segment, by taking occasional notes for example.

9cc88f65
Community Member

Ok thanks. But just a suggestion. Can you provide an option in the time tracker where if it will a scheduled meeting/training with our client, we can choose that button and we won't be required to move the mouse every 10 mins bec not all will remember especially when one is focusing on the meeting/training. I have lost many hours of my time in the past bec I wasn't aware of this terms. I have webex meetings with my client every week for 1-2hrs. 

Zaida R wrote:

Ok thanks. But just a suggestion. Can you provide an option in the time tracker where if it will a scheduled meeting/training with our client, we can choose that button and we won't be required to move the mouse every 10 mins bec not all will remember especially when one is focusing on the meeting/training. I have lost many hours of my time in the past bec I wasn't aware of this terms. I have webex meetings with my client every week for 1-2hrs. 

Even if Upwork were to add this feature, they wouldn't be able to offer you payment protection because the tracker wouldn't show any proof that you're working (no keyboard activity, no screen captures showing any progress). Petra's suggestion of typing notes during your meeting is the best option, but if you can't do that, there's still no reason for you to lose those hours; just add them as manual time. (You're also mistaken about how the tracker works; moving the mouse once every 10 minutes won't show sufficient activity levels, so if your client disputes, this time won't be protected.)

Zaida R.,

I can't see that happening, but one thing Upwork could do is link the VOIP app to TimeTracker, so that during a call with the client using that app the freelancer is shown as working in TimeTracker's records and not required to use the keyboard or mouse to have payment protection-eligible work time booked.

More freelancers would use the app, in that case, especially if the app becomes more reliable and user friendly.

But please do yourself a favor and be VERY careful about adding manual time to your work diary. There is no Upwork payment protection for any manual time, even if the client is shown by Upwork as having "approved" your use of manual time. You should only use it with clients you know well and trust completely. 

Hi ,

I got the same trouble. Actually there is not action with my computer because l'm in the Google meeting with client. We speak and l take note buy my notebook. My client pay me for the meeting too, l think this time should be counted. Please check ;).

Thank you

Hi Tra,

The Desktop App stops tracking time when you've gone idle or recognizes that there is no trackable activity, such as keystrokes or clicks. If you were working during a period when the Desktop App realized you were idle, you should discuss adding the time manually with your client. 

Alternatively, you may consider using the Consultation feature instead when meeting with your clients if they're paying you for the time spent discussing the project. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork
hcasella
Community Member

Alternatively, you could have a bit more foresight and add the feature for the customer to accept job tracking without clicks. I don't know if you're aware, but working doesn't necessarily involve clicking.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members