cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time Tracker: Screenshots 20 minute window?

browersr
Community Guru
Scott B Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
1 of 5

I havn't had a chance to ask about this before but it seems for at least a month the time tracker is taking screen captures within a 20 minute window instead of 10 as it has for years. Many times I look at the tracker to see that it hasn't take a shot in 13 minutes or 18 minutes, etc (with tracking running the entire time). Did something change or are others seeing this as well? 

ladyelexia
Community Guru
Heather H Member Since: May 9, 2011
2 of 5

I see this as well, and frankly, it's annoying. if you stop moving your hands for more than a few seconds, the time tracker also stops.  Depending on what you are doing, it can really mess up your workflow.  I have a contract now and part of that time includes watching and making videos. While watching, there is no keyboard movement, while making them, I am not moving the keyboard because I am filming, but guess what, it makes the tracker go idle.  

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3 of 5

@Scott B wrote:

I havn't had a chance to ask about this before but it seems for at least a month the time tracker is taking screen captures within a 20 minute window instead of 10 as it has for years. Many times I look at the tracker to see that it hasn't take a shot in 13 minutes or 18 minutes, etc (with tracking running the entire time). Did something change or are others seeing this as well? 

No. It is still taking a screenshot once within every 10 minute segment just as it always has done.

An hour has 6 x 10 minute segments.

Each segment is 10 minutes long and starts at "00" - in other words, the hour between 10 am and 11 am consists of 6 equal segments of 10 minutes each

10.00 to 10.10

10.10 to 10.20

10.20 to 10.30

10.30 to 10.40

10.40 to 10.50

10.50 to 11.00

During each segment a screenshot is taken which commits the segment to the work diary and makes it "count"

It is true that sometimes the 10.30 - 10.40 screenshot happens at 10.31 and the 10.40 to 10.50 screenshot at 10.48 - and equally it is true that sometimes 10.30 - 10.40 screenshot happens at 10.39 and the 10.40 to 10.50 screenshot happens at 10.41. However, it's still 10 minute SEGMENTS and the screenshots happen just as they always have done, at a random moment once within each 10 minute segment.

@Heather H wrote:

I see this as well, and frankly, it's annoying. if you stop moving your hands for more than a few seconds, the time tracker also stops.   

It doesn't "stop," and "a few seconds" makes no difference - It does, however, not record segments which are completely without any activity (no mouse, no keyboard activity at all throughout the 10 minute segment) but that's been the case for many years.

It doesn't "stop" though, it keeps running (just without committing segments into the work diary so for working away from the computer it is of no use.) and simply picks up again when there is activity it can measure (mouseclicks / keystrokes.)

There are some changes in how tracked time is displayed on the tracker itself, but the way the tracker actually records time and puts it in the work diary and how that translates into worked hours and payment is exactly as it has been for years.

browersr
Community Guru
Scott B Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
4 of 5

Hey Petra -

I see what you are saying. I cannot seem to recall the tracker telling me it has been 18 minutes since the last screen shot. That makes sense in the context of segments as you are saying. Not sure why after nearly 3 years I am now noticing those kinds of times displaying. Yikes.

tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
5 of 5

I experienced a very long gap between screenshots recently as well. It was particularly frustrating because the task I was completing only took around 10 minutes. I think I ended up adding manual time for that segment. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS