cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time Tracker Support

Community Guru
Lisa W Member Since: Nov 14, 2015
1 of 11

I attempted to open a ticket for this, but the answer I received simply said it was normal and the time tracker is working the way it should.

This morning I worked for 20 minutes exactly, which is what the top section of the time tracker shows. My time tracker took screen shots at 1 minute, 5 minutes, and 12 minutes, crediting me with 30 minutes of work at the end of the session. I gave screen shots to support and all they did was confirm that the screen shots are correct.

If anyone can explain to me why 3 screen shots would be taken in 12 minutes, and why there's nothing wrong with it reporting 30 minutes of activity as opposed to 20, I would appreciate it.

Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
2 of 11

Rule of thumb.  I normally delete the first screenshot that is taken because it is taken within the first couple of minutes and would show low activity anyway.  So in your case, if you were to delete the one that was taken at one minute, it would erase a 10 minute segment and take you to 20 minutes where you are supposed to be.  There are several threads on the time tracker "problem".  I have been here since 2011 and I have never had any client question me on the time I accumulate.  I believe the tracker works as it is designed to; to keep people from scamming time from clients.  If everyone knew exactly when a screenshot was going to be taken, can you imagine the abuse it would cause.  

Remove very low segments, one or two bars, and it will all balance out. Smiley Happy

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
Community Guru
3 of 11

@Katrina B wrote:

Rule of thumb.  I normally delete the first screenshot that is taken because it is taken within the first couple of minutes and would show low activity anyway.  So in your case, if you were to delete the one that was taken at one minute, it would erase a 10 minute segment and take you to 20 minutes where you are supposed to be.  There are several threads on the time tracker "problem".  I have been here since 2011 and I have never had any client question me on the time I accumulate.  I believe the tracker works as it is designed to; to keep people from scamming time from clients.  If everyone knew exactly when a screenshot was going to be taken, can you imagine the abuse it would cause.  

Remove very low segments, one or two bars, and it will all balance out. Smiley Happy

I can appreciate what you're saying, but the problem with this is that it took 2 screen shots in the first 5 minutes, and a 3rd screenshot at 12 minutes. So there's no guarantee of what period shows low activity unless I go in and research and remove one. That wouldn't be such a big deal, but I have 3 hourly contracts that I regularly visit multiple times throughout the day. I often work in 10-20 minute increments on one contract several times during the day. It's very inconvenient to have to go into a work diary every single time I finish a work period just to make sure it's tracking correctly. When I turn on the tracker to work, I should be able to work diligently, turn it off when I'm done, and know that it's accurate. I shouldn't have to work around a convoluted system to make sure my clients are protected.

A screen shot every 10 minute period shouldn't result in 3 screen shots in 12 minutes.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 11

Lisa,screenshots are taken once in every 10 minute segments when there is activity.

a screenshot starts at the beginning of a 10 minute segment, and ends at the end.

Such as 10.10, 10.20, 10,30, 10.40 etc etc

start working at the beginning (!) of a 10 minute segment, and finish at the end of one, and there is no issue

Community Guru
5 of 11

@Petra R wrote:

Lisa,screenshots are taken once in every 10 minute segments when there is activity.

a screenshot starts at the beginning of a 10 minute segment, and ends at the end.

start working at the beginning (!) of an10 minute segment, and finish at the end of one, and there is no issue

Petra,

That would be ideal, but it's simply not always possible. As I mentioned, I have multiple hourly contracts that require me to work for 10-20 minutes, sometimes as little as 5 minutes, at several points during the day. I also have other responsibilities (children, business phone calls, etc.) that mean it's not realistic for me to time every single work period to start and end at the correct 10 minute interval. It sets the system up for abuse - I have to monitor it and adjust my work habits in order to make sure the client is not being overcharged. My guess is that a lot of freelancers won't bother taking the time to do that.

My main issue is not the tracker in general. I don't like it, and it doesn't make sense, but that's what's available, and I'll do what I need to do. I'm not going to go overboard complaining because it does offer protections for which I'm grateful. However, given the 10 minute interval rule, I'm trying to figure out why it took 3 screen shots in 12 minutes and charged 50 minutes for 40 minutes worked and support doesn't consider this a problem.

Community Guru
6 of 11

@Lisa W wrote:

@Petra R wrote:

start working at the beginning (!) of an10 minute segment, and finish at the end of one, and there is no issue

Petra,

That would be ideal, but it's simply not always possible. As I mentioned, I have multiple hourly contracts that require me to work for 10-20 minutes, sometimes as little as 5 minutes, at several points during the day. I also have other responsibilities (children, business phone calls, etc.) that mean it's not realistic for me to time every single work period to start and end at the correct 10 minute interval. It sets the system up for abuse - I have to monitor it and adjust my work habits in order to make sure the client is not being overcharged. My guess is that a lot of freelancers won't bother taking the time to do that.

My main issue is not the tracker in general. I don't like it, and it doesn't make sense, but that's what's available, and I'll do what I need to do. I'm not going to go overboard complaining because it does offer protections for which I'm grateful. However, given the 10 minute interval rule, I'm trying to figure out why it took 3 screen shots in 12 minutes and charged 50 minutes for 40 minutes worked and support doesn't consider this a problem.

It took three screenshots because you started at the end of one time segment, worked through one, and finished at the beginning of a time segment.

hence there were three segments counted.

the tracker is completely unsuitable for working a few minutes here, a few minutes there. It is not what it is designed to do. 

It is designed to track hours in increments, not minutes. They're called hourly contracts, not minutely contracts.

And yes, checking your work diary at the end of a working day is good practice.

Community Guru
7 of 11

the tracker is completely unsuitable for working a few minutes here, a few minutes there. It is not what it is designed to do. 

Petra,

I agree, it doesn't work well in these situations. As far as I can tell, this issue is not addressed by Upwork, though. Do they caution clients when setting up an hourly job that there are problems unless contractors can follow a specific type of work schedule?

I don't recall seeing anything about it from a contractor perspective - in my mind it should be as simple as Press on > work > Press off > stop working, and the time I work is reflected properly. Since it clearly doesn't work that way, and is downright bad news for some jobs, I think there should be more caution from Upwork so contractors and clients alike can make the best decision for them.

I would have shrugged it off if not for the extra 10 minutes - I worked 20 and it clearly shows 30 tracked. Regardless of the timing of the screen shots, my client is being charged 10 extra minutes unless I go in and remove a section. I would think that support would have at least suggested that option rather than simply saying that it's working correctly and 10 overcharged minutes don't matter.

Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
8 of 11

Don't forget that when you restart your time tracker it's picking up minutes from the last session when you closed and there was time after the screenshot. That time is then carried over to the next time you start and that is most likely why you see 3 screen shots.

Community Guru
9 of 11

@Jean S wrote:

Don't forget that when you restart your time tracker it's picking up minutes from the last session when you closed and there was time after the screenshot. That time is then carried over to the next time you start and that is most likely why you see 3 screen shots.

No time is carried over from after the last screenshot. 

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
10 of 11

Hi Jean, 

I can confirm Petra's reply. The tracked time after the last screenshot is carried over to a new session with the Elance Tracker, which has a pause option, unlike the Upwork Team App.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS