jennymenny

Time Tracker Troubles

I'm using the new Time Tracker, and this week and last week it's been taking forever to track time. I'll get done with 20 minutes worth of work, and it'll only track 10, even though I'm hard at work, not slacking off, or anything. I'm not doing anything unrelated to work, so I know it's not me. It's really making things harder too, since I'm having to do double the workload for the same payment.

Is there any way to solve this issue?

13 REPLIES 13
kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Jennifer,

The Team App takes screenshots once every 10 minutes when you have it on and tracking time. It is possible that you stop tracking before the screenshot for that particular 10 minutes interval is taken. However, it will happen that you will turn the tracker on in the middle of a 10-minutes interval and it will be counted although you didn't work full 10 minutes. 

If you notice that screenshots are not taken for every 10 minutes interval or screenshots are not uploaded to your Work Diary, please contact support by clicking on your name at the bottom of the App

~ Valeria
Upwork

It is possible that you stop tracking before the screenshot for that particular 10 minutes interval is taken. 

Hi Valeria,

I have a confusion. If I work on a project and have to close the time tracker after 9 min of work ( and the tracker has not taken screenshot as it does after 10 min) then my 9-min work will not be recorded ? Why?

Hi Tahir,

If your contract requires such short intervals of working, I would suggest:

- If you worked 9 minutes already, wait until the screenshot is taken before stopping your Team App.

- Talk to your client about using Manual Time.

- Talk to your client about using fixed-price contract with Escrow protection.

I hope it helps.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Hi Valeria,

Thanks for your reply. 

I am not saying that my contract requires such short working. 

I am saying that I had to shut down my computer to go somewhere urgently after 9-min or working.

The question is whether the tracker will record 9-mins or not?

Waiting for your valued reply.

Sorry about the confusion, Tahir. If the screenshot wasn't taken for that 10-minutes interval, it will not show in your Work Diary and that time will not be recorded.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Hi Valeria,

I am shocked.  

You mean the minimum time interval that the time tracker can record on RUNTIME is 10 min. 

I suspect the same will be case for longer time intervals also. 

Means if a freelancer is working with time tracker and he/she has worked for 32 min (while screenshot taken at 30th min). Do you think he/she will not just wait 8 free mins instead of losing his/her 2 mins?

Its like Upwork is round-downing numbers

1.1 = 1  &

1.9 = 1

If I am wrong, please correct me. 

smith_joel

Jennifer,

You are not alone.  I have a funny video I am about to post on YouTube about this very topic. 

I turn on the Upwork Time Tracker and make sure not to touch anything for a good 5 minutes.  Literally you can't even begin working on any other application or it will just stop.  So, 5 minutes goes by and the Time Tracker tracks for 5 minutes.  Then, I open up Firefox and google something random.  2 minutes goes by... oops, the Time Tracker still says 5 minutes.  15 minutes goes by, still says 5 minutes in the On position.  The real fun is then I try to click the On to Off... little white boxes appear all over my desktop and nothing else happens.  They can't even get the ON/OFF button on their app to work.  Unbelievable!  I have to Force Quit the Upwork App as it completely freezes up unless you let it sit there by itself without any other application open.  No way to run a business.

Joel

I am sorry you have been having issues with the Team App, Joel. Once you have that video uploaded, could you please send it to me via a private message (just click on my name from this post and then click Send Private Message). I will forward your report to the team for investigation.

Thank you!

~ Valeria
Upwork

Hi Joel,

Were you able to resolve this problem? I just started using the Time Tracker today and having your exact same problem.  Furthermore, my time logged does not show up after I log back in after force quitting. (In other words, it looks as if I have put in 0 minutes).

It comes and goes, to be honest. Most of the time, it handles ok, but other times...

I've learned to kind of accept it, which isn't saying much, actually. When it happens too much, I log manual time, but my project managers already know and trust me, so there's that.

vladag
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Brian,

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with the Team App. Please check if your internet connection is stable, try to restart your Team App, and lastly uninstall and reinstall it.

Also, going through this list of troubleshoting tips can often help users in resolving the issue.

If the issue persists, please submit a support ticket by clicking on your name at the bottom of the Team App and selecting "Contact Support".

Untitled
lysis10

well well well, miss Jennifer M, my arch nemesis.

Prepare yourself for a duel.

There can only be one......

Lol then a duel you shall have.