Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time Tracker error

raina5
Community Leader
Kate R Member Since: Dec 5, 2016
1 of 7

Hi, yesterday I was working and had the time tracker running. Then I finished and gpt up to get ready to go out. When I got upstairs I remembered i hadn't turned off the TT so i ran downstairs and turned it off. (only a cpl of minutes had gone by) But it got me wondering how should i handle it if I forget to turn it off for like hours? Has this happened to anyone? Its never happened to me, but yesterday kind of shook me up. Would I contact Upwork or my client or what? Hoping it never happens but wondering what is recommended if it ever did. thanks!

wlyonsatl
Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
2 of 7

I've never done it for any significant amount of time. Maybe you can put in negative manual hours to offset any over-stated work time and explain to the client why they should approve those negative hours.

I always use Toggl to keep track of my work time in parallel, just in case.

amlord
Community Guru
Angela L Member Since: Oct 20, 2009
3 of 7

After a certain amount of time with no activity (I think it's 10 minutes?), the tracker will automatically stop tracking time. If you ever do track time to a client in error you can go back and delete those screenshots, which will delete that time.

felixmena
Community Leader
Felix M Member Since: Dec 9, 2017
4 of 7

Hi Kate,

Thanks for sharing your concern.

Please, remember the Upwork Desktop App logs your activity level by counting the number of mouse clicks, scroll actions, and keystrokes you make.

You may learn more about how to take advantage of this tool here.

Felix
Untitled
k_nadel
Community Leader
Kevin C. N Member Since: Oct 4, 2016
BEST ANSWER
5 of 7
I guess the easiest solution would be to just head to your work diary on Upwork and delete any mistaken logs/screenshots for the time you were away.

When done, also place a post-it on your screen reminding you to turn the TT off Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

jefframlee
Community Guru
Jeff R Member Since: Apr 17, 2015
6 of 7

Hahahaha... this has happened to me before!

I didn't forget to turn off the tracker... I fell asleep! heheheh

I woke up 3 hours later! And the computer was in sleep mode. I woke it up while swearing to myself for falling asleep.

I checked my work diary. There were loads of pitch-black images. It was still taking screenshots in sleep mode!

I then deleted them all, and it was as though it never happened.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
7 of 7
@Jeff wrote:

I didn't forget to turn off the tracker... I fell asleep! heheheh

I woke up 3 hours later! And the computer was in sleep mode. I woke it up while swearing to myself for falling asleep.
I checked my work diary. There were loads of pitch-black images. It was still taking screenshots in sleep mode!
I then deleted them all, and it was as though it never happened.

That's really odd. It should not do that as the tracker isn't meant to track without activity. I've tracked many, many thousands of hours and I've never had that happen. There may be something on your computer that somehow makes the tracker think there's activity?

@Will L wrote:

I've never done it for any significant amount of time. Maybe you can put in negative manual hours to offset any over-stated work time and explain to the client why they should approve those negative hours.

There is no such thing as "negative manual time" and clients do not "approve" time, any time up to the weekly limit added to the work diary, tracked or manual, gets charged to the client automatically. The client can "dispute" hours, but there is no "approving" of hours as such.

All she has to do is delete any screenshots she does not want to bill.

The tracker does not (or rather should not - see above) charge any 10 minute segment where there was neither keyboard nor mouse activity. I frequently leave the tracker running when I take a break. If I work until 1pm, then take an hour's break without turning the tracker off, and resume working at 2pm, there are no screenshots between 1pm and 2pm and nothing is charged to the client for that time period.

I always check my work diary at the end of a day as my cats have a habit of playing on the keyboard and creating "activity."

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS