Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Time Tracker is NOT ACCURATE.

jcullinan
Community Guru
Jess C Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
1 of 20

Tell me again how the time tracker is supposed to take a screenshot within every ten minute increment? Today was especially egregious with intervals over 10 minutes. This simply isn't accurate, nor is it fair to our clients. 90% of the time I have to either delete a segment or sit around waiting for another shot to count the time accurately for myself and my client - whether I work 2 hours or 6, this is a constant problem! When will it be addressed and fixed?

Upwork 16 min.jpg

Upwork Time Tracker.jpg

lauraivie
Ace Contributor
Laura I Member Since: Apr 7, 2016
2 of 20

If you are actively working on tasks for you clients while you have the time tracker on, I'm not sure where the problem is. I turn mine on, do what I have to do, then turn it off. 

jcullinan
Community Guru
3 of 20

The problem is that I'll have worked 40 minutes but only get credit on the tracker for 30, or I'll have worked 2 hours but the tracker bills my client for 2:20. To make the totals accurate at the end of a session, I often have to delete a segment of time when there was a 2 or 3 minute increment to avoid overcharging, or I have to tool around waiting for a screenshot to catch up with the amount of time I've actually worked. It's a complete waste of time, and it's unfair to both freelancers and clients to be over or undercharged.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 20

The tracker takes one screenshot per 10 minute section of the hour, so once between 10.00 and 10.10, once between 10.10 and 10.20, once between 10.20 and 10.30 and so on.

All segments where a screenshot was taken get charged.

To avoid under- or over-charging start working at the beginning of one segment (so at 10.10 or 10.20 or 10.40 etc etc and stop at the end of one (11.30, 11,50, 12 40 or whatever)

A segment without a screenshot is not charged. If you start at 10.28 the segment (10.20-10.30) will only have 2 minutes activity. If you log out before a screenshot has been taken that segment will not get charged (if you work until 10.27 and no screenshot has been taken in the 10.20 to 10.30 segment you don't get paid for that segment.)

jcullinan
Community Guru
5 of 20

Starting/stopping exactly on the 10 minute mark does not change the tracker's erratic behavior.

0956b644
Alvin A Member Since: Jun 5, 2020
6 of 20

It's still the same issue now. I just loss an hour because of the inaccuracy of the timer. It show on the screenshot that my pc's time is 2:54pm and yet the screenshot was saved for 1:50pm

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

g_vasilevski
Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
7 of 20

Hi Alvin,

Could you please grab screenshots from your end with better quality and share them with me via PM (click on my name) so that I can check this further? Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
akbar_20120
Ace Contributor
Mohammad Akbar P Member Since: Apr 22, 2016
8 of 20

You see, the tracker dosen't take screenshots exactly every 10 minutes, sometimes it takes even at 2 or 3 minutes. I guess if it takes a screenshot at 15 minutes, then soon it will take a screenshot at 5 minutes, which makes the 15 + 5 20 (2 screenshots).

If you sit idol just so it take a screenshot, that time won't be tracked if the activity level is not met per terms.

It never takes exactly at 10 mins everytime, but it covers the balance if there is a greater or lesser number when it took screenshot. 

But it tracks accurately, don't worry about it!

jcullinan
Community Guru
9 of 20

You're wrong. It consistently tracks inaccurately, sometimes off by as much as 30 minutes.

csjarmitage
Community Guru
Christy A Member Since: Dec 30, 2015
10 of 20

I rarely ever use the time tracker anymore but, when I did, I don't think it ever tracked in exact increments like that.  I'd think doing so would make it easy to abuse.

I'm confused as to why your problem couldn't be solved by simply turning the tracker off when you're done working on that project, and on again when you start back.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS