Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Time Tracker is NOT ACCURATE.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
11 of 20

I believe the original poster is overthinking the time-tracker.

This topic has been discussed extensively in previous threads.

The time-tracking software is working as Upwork intends it to work.

If one works in sufficiently long increments, say at least 30 minutes or more on average, then this is a non-issue.

The software does NOT work the way some of us expect. It does NOT work the way I would have designed it to work. But Upwork is aware of how it works, and it is working correctly according to their intentions.

jcullinan
Community Guru
Jess C Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
12 of 20

So helpful, as always, Preston. Overcharging clients or underpaying freelancers is a non-issue? Really?

jcullinan
Community Guru
13 of 20

I'm not asking for exact increments, but accurate ones overall. It is supposed to take a screenshot *within* every 10 minutes, but often, as you can see by the increments in my screenshot, those intervals are closer to 15-20 minutes. And when I turn the tracker off when I'm done, I am either 10-20 minutes short of the time I actually worked as documented by the tracker, or the tracker gave me 10-20 minutes more time than I actually worked. It never averages out to be an accurate record of the time I worked.

browersr
Community Guru
Scott B Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
14 of 20

The Time Tracker is certainly not accurate but is working as UW intended.  They feel it all "evens out" over time.  It's unclear to me why they couldn't just track it by the minute based on when you start/stop.  As for the screen shots themselves, I don't really care.  It's value is in case a client doesn't pay and you are under payment protection.  So in that way whenever UW wants to take a screen shot is on them.  As long as I get the coverage I don't care.  You don't have to use the time tracker and can bill manually with exact number.  Of course this means you aren't covered so weigh the risks.  I much preferred the eLance tracker.  

jcullinan
Community Guru
15 of 20

The screenshot determines if that 10 minute increment is charged or not, so, yes, it matters.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
16 of 20

@Jess C wrote:

. It is supposed to take a screenshot *within* every 10 minutes,

no, it is NOT supposed to do that at all. It is supposed to (and DOES) take a screenshot once per 10 minute segment when there is activity.

So once in the ten minute segment which starts at XX,X0 and ends 10 minutes later.

It is not supposed to count segments where there is no activity, where no screenshot has been taken yet, or where the tracker was turned off before the screenshot,

katrinabeaver
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
17 of 20

@Petra R wrote:

@Jess C wrote:

. It is supposed to take a screenshot *within* every 10 minutes,

no, it is NOT supposed to do that at all. It is supposed to (and DOES) take a screenshot once per 10 minute segment when there is activity.

So once in the ten minute segment which starts at XX,X0 and ends 10 minutes later.

It is not supposed to count segments where there is no activity, where no screenshot has been taken yet, or where the tracker was turned off before the screenshot,

Exactly. The time tracker is designed to avoid scamming people from knowing when a screen shot is going to be taken.  It works as it is supposed to.  I have been tracking time on it for five years and I have never had a client question it's validity and neither have I.  It works fine and yes it is accurate.  

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
18 of 20

Katrina B wrote

Exactly.  It works as it is supposed to.  I have been tracking time on it for five years and I have never had a client question it's validity and neither have I.  It works fine and yes it is accurate.  

Agreed. I have tracked over 8000 hours, and had an issue with the tracker once.

If you understand how it is supposed to work (and Jess's screenshots show that for her it does EXACTLY what it is meant to do - which is take a screenshot once per 10 minute segment with the segments starting at X:X0) you get paid for the time you work and the client gets charged for the time that was worked, PROVIDED you understand the concept of the hour being divided into 6 equal segments of 10 minutes, each having one screenshot between the beginning and the end of said segment.

OF COURSE the time elapsed between shots varies. That is the whole point. But each screenshot will happen once per each 10 minute segment. Obviously that means the time elapsed could be 2 minutes if the screenshots happen to be at 11.29 for the 11.20 to 11.30 segment, and at 11.31 for the 11.30 to 11.40 segment, but that is why starting to work at the beginning of one segment (say at 11.30, 12.50, 14,10 etc) and finishing at the end of the last one (11.50, 12.20, 14.10 etc) means everyone gets what they worked or paid for. As there is one screenshot per segment as long as full segments are worked full segments will be charged.

The tracker could be designed to count in smaller increments but this becomes problematic in terms of data volume and cache storage, which is why it is the way it is.

kulkarni_ashish
Community Guru
Ashish K Member Since: Mar 1, 2016
19 of 20

The time tracker is supposed to take screenshots once in a 10 minute interval, so theoretically, the minimum time between 2 screenshots could be 0 and maximum could be 20 (first screenshot just as a 10 minute period begins and the second as the next 10min period ends).

If you have proof of it exceeding 20 minutes, then there is a problem. If not, then there is no issue. From your screenshot in the Originial post, I see that none exceed 20 minutes. Hence, non-issue from Upwork's point of view.

So mathematically,

1. You would have billed for 10 minutes with certainty if you work for at least 20 minutes (or 19:58) continuosly.

2. You would have billed for 10 minutes with certainty if you start work just before xx:x0 mark as seen on the Team app and work for 10 minutes.

3. That means that if you break the work into periods of 20 minutes of continuous activity regardless of when you started those periods, the worst case is that you would have billed for half the actual time. 

4. If you work long enough, the randomization will neutralize the overbilling and underbilling.

Thank you for making me think about this. Never paid much attention. I like to work in short bursts of 20 minutes, I can see how this can affect me.

boshoffirene
Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
20 of 20

The tracker evens things out. Why are you trying to overthink it? There have been many posts on this topic and it has been explained over and over....why start another thread?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS