🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Time Tracker not showing accurate productivit...
Page options
bilal1983
Community Member

Time Tracker not showing accurate productivity levels

Hey everyone! Hope you're all doing well.

I've noticed a discrepancy on the activity / productivity levels that are being displayed through the time tracker.

I log in 20 minutes of work, where I've been active throughout, and hoping to see an activity level of at least 9 during that time slot. (I stopped the timer when it said 20 minutes)

But when I check the Work Diary, it shows 30 minutes worked, (3 slots of 10 mins) with activity level 5 on the first 10 minutes, level 10 on the 2nd, and level 5 again on the 3rd 10 minute slot.

Why is that? Is it because although the tracker is showing 20 minutes, I've actually crossed 20-minute mark and worked like 22-23 minutes, and so it considers it as 30 minutes of work, and therefore lowering my activity levels?

I've noticed a similar thing happen when I stopped the timer at 18 or 19 minutes tracked.

EDIT: I could delete one slot of 10 minutes from the Work Diary, but would it still say activity level of 5 on the first 10 minute slot?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
data_divas
Community Member

Hi Bilal!

The best practice to make sure you have high activity levels is to always start on the 10 minute mark and end right after a screen capture. Hope you and yours are well!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
JoanneP

Hi Bilal,

When you have logging turned on, the app takes random screen captures six times per hour — once per 10-minute billing segment. The app logs your activity level by counting the number of mouse clicks, scroll actions, and keystrokes you make as well as receiving information from your operating system about whether you are active or not (useful for less “countable” activities). It also records the name of the application you’re using and its active window at the time of the snapshot, to your Work Diary. If you delete a screenshot you also delete that time’s segment activity, which means the time will not be billed to your client and you will not be paid for the time. You can find more information about logging time using the Upwork Time Tracker here

~ Joanne
Upwork

Hi Joanne, thank you for your response.

I understand in general what you shared about time tracking, and I also went through the link you've shared.

But it does not address what I was referring to.

I work 20 minutes, with high-level activity, but it is logged as 30 minutes on the tracker (3 ten-minute slots), with low activity on 2 out of 3 slots.

The actual time I start and end working is also noted, and they add up to 20 minutes. So why is the tracker dividing my work across 30 minutes?

Hi Bilal,

Thank you for following up. In the article that Andrea provided, it is stated that we invoice time segments with uploaded user activity, and every segment with activity will be billed, so some rounding may occur.

~ AJ
Upwork
data_divas
Community Member

Hi Bilal!

The best practice to make sure you have high activity levels is to always start on the 10 minute mark and end right after a screen capture. Hope you and yours are well!

Hi Julie! I'm doing great, thanks. Hope you're well and good.

I see what you're saying... it becomes difficult to be so precise and start on the 10 minute mark.

Just now, had a few quick tasks to do on a contract. I stopped the tracker when current session said 8 or 9 minutes, so that it doesn't add an additional 10-min slot.

But it did it again! One slot with 7 activity and the other with 2. It's frustrating, and it's a relatively new client. I'm deleting the extra time slot now, as the other has at least a 7.

Or maybe I could let the client know, that on the time slots with low activity levels, I can make that up by doing some work without tracking.

data_divas
Community Member

I know it's annoying to wait to start until the 10 min mark or wait to stop until there's a screen capture but you get used to it as it's the only way to have full activity time slots.

jonincanada
Community Member

@Julie, make sure your timers always start and end on the 10 minute mark.  What is this 1997?  You folks just forced a refund on work I did because of a "low activity" flag because my timers border past the 10 minute mark -- it's obviously NOT low activity.  You see, I actually work hard versus all these scammers -- and I'll be commenting here until you fix your problem. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members