Did you mean: 

Time Wasting Bait and Switch Clients

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
11 of 18

Re: "job is really simple"

Oh my gosh, I know!

I see this so many times in job posts.

No, my friends, your job is not that simple. If it was truly short and simple, you wouldn't be hiring somebody else to do it. So maybe it's simply "simple." Maybe it's something that isn't very complicated. (MAYBE! Usually that's not entirely true.)

But let's assume it really is simple, but just takes time. So... what? You don't want to pay for our time? Even if you hire somebody to just stand outside a door while you hold a meeting, you still have to pay for their time. It's "simple", but an hour of their time is still an hour of their time they could have been doing something else.

So... Simple? Probably not.
Truly simple? You still need to pay.

Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
12 of 18

or "should be an easy job for someone who knows what they're doing!"

Yes - so don't pay me for an easy job - pay me for knowing what I'm doing  Smiley Frustrated

Community Guru
David G Member Since: Oct 6, 2011
13 of 18

Those are one of my warning signs. I never apply for a job where the client has included that sort of phrase. I also tend to avoid the ones who tell me how long the job should take if I know what I'm doing. (i.e. It should take two hours if you know what you're doing).

Let me look at the material and the word count and I'll tell you how long I think it will take. If the client doesn't like my estimate, then don't hire me.

Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
14 of 18

An hour ago:

I have a list of 35 books/ chapters in a book, or journal articles that I want to do proper referencing, using APA style. You need to be very attentive to all the details of punctuation, capital letters, italic ... Most of them are copied from the author's websites, so they may not need any changes. Some very few may lack information such as the publishing house or the location of publishing. All information can be found online. If you are an expert in referencing, the job should not take more than 45 minutes to be completed.

Ho hum...

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
15 of 18

Recall the story of the world-famous artist Picasso who was asked by a woman to draw her. He did so, she exclaimed it was perfect, and she asked how much it cost. $5,000 he told her. She asked why it cost so much when it only took a moment to draw.

He countered: "No, madam, it took me all my life."

The exact wording varies, but the sentiment is the same.

I have spent over 20 years mastering my craft. There are things I can do in just one hour that ARE simple for me to do. But they're only "simple" because of what I know.

Clients can absolutely pay less, to somebody who knows less, and who will cost them more money in the long run.

Community Guru
Gillian Michele N Member Since: Mar 15, 2012
16 of 18

Well, I'm glad that I'm not crazy. lol

I remember a time when a client wanted me to complete some work on Twitter for her. Ok, so it was just adding people, but come on! She wanted me to accept $1 an hr, I just laughed. Sweets cost more that that these days.

Her justification? 'The job is simple'. I wouldn't get out of bed for that rate. She's wasn't considering my time and labour, cost of electric and internet etc.

They really do humour me.

Community Guru
Dianne M Member Since: Jul 25, 2013
17 of 18

Another bait and switch, this time assisted by an oDesk recruiter.

About a week ago, an oDesk recruiter (an oDesk representative who assists clients find freelancers) contacted me for a job which pays hourly and is looking for the highest paid freelancers. Because I still trust oDesk, I accepted the interview - which wasted a lot of my time and was even at one instance asking for a free website content assessment. I informed the client about site rules and he said he'll send an offer. Guess what, offer is only $25 fixed rate. That wouldn't even cover 10% of what I charge for the work he wants done. The really irritating part is they went through the oDesk recruitment thing only to bait and switch later. I declined the offer and reported him. I hope they kick people like that out of the site and stop babying them. 

❄❄❄ Just A Forum Contributor --- This isn't against forum guidelines ❄❄❄
Community Guru
Dianne M Member Since: Jul 25, 2013
18 of 18

Sometimes when I see a job post which states: This should be easy/take only ___minutes for someone who knows what they are doing, I'm tempted to respond with"

"hey, I know how to perform vasectomy, it will only take 5 minutes because I know what I'm doing."

then follow it up with,

"for you, this service can be given as a FREE sample. What are you waiting for? Avail of your FREE sample now!" haha!

--- I do know how to do it but it will take 7-15 minutes under local anesthesia Smiley Tongue

note: the mention of vasectomy is not meant to be a sexist remark, only that the person who keeps posting that is almost always the same guy.

❄❄❄ Just A Forum Contributor --- This isn't against forum guidelines ❄❄❄
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS