🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Time app does not work correctly
Page options
ronlorraine
Community Member

Time app does not work correctly

I took on an hourly project and I have no problem with the client for she has been great so far. Problem I have is with the time app. My client knows that I’m spending more time on her website development so she set it as “Manual time allowedl “.

Seems that the Upwork system doesn’t allow this. I get an error after error and get the same thing trying to bill this way.

It should be simple, send hours billed to a client without the hour time frame. If a client and freelancer agreed on manual time UpWork  should get out of the way. You are making you 20/10 percent if I’m correct?

6 REPLIES 6
prestonhunter
Community Member

Ron:

I want you to have a successful experience here on Upwork.

And I want things to go well for your client as well.

But I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

I use the time-tracker to log time, and I also use manual time when appropriate, every week. I use the desktop Upwork application, and I use the Upwork website.

I am not aware of any systemic problems with these generally, or with functionality pertaining to manual time specifically.

Referring to logging manual time, you stated that the "Upwork system doesn't allow this."

The Upwork system DOES allow this.

You said you get "error after error" when you try to use manual time. Could you explain what is happening so that we can help you?

petra_r
Community Member

Ron M wrote:

You are making you 20/10 percent if I’m correct?

Further to what Preston said (same here, I log time week in, week out, tracked and manual 14.000 + hours to date with no problems) - what in the world does the the 20/10 percent have to do with it?

Petra R wrote:

Ron M wrote:

You are making you 20/10 percent if I’m correct?

Further to what Preston said (same here, I log time week in, week out, tracked and manual 14.000 + hours to date with no problems) - what in the world does the the 20/10 percent have to do with it?

I think he means that if he doesn't get paid, then Upwork doesn't get their cut, therefore they should make it easier for him to log time.

Ron, if you're working a lot of hours, you can ask the client to increase the maximum hours per week allowed so that you can continue using the time tracker. That would be the safest thing to do. If you prefer to log the time manually - and the client has allowed it - but you're having technical issues, you should contact support. It might be awhile before an Upwork employee sees your message here (not sure how often they check the forum on weekends).

tlsanders
Community Member

I could be wrong, but it kind of sounds like OP and the client think allowing manual time will allow the freelancer to exceed the weekly hours limit.

Tiffany S wrote:

I could be wrong, but it kind of sounds like OP and the client think allowing manual time will allow the freelancer to exceed the weekly hours limit.

Or he is trying to add time to slots already logged for some other contract. Or the format is wrong. Or ....

Thing is, if the OP had just said "I am trying to add manual time, and am getting the following error: "Error XXXXXXX XXXX XX" What can I do?" instead of ranting - we might be able to help.

If it *IS* that, it is not possible to log time in excess of the weekly limit, either tracked or manual. Or rather it is possible to track time, but it is neither billed nor charged. You can actually add manual time in exess of the weekly limit.

All the client needs to do is increase the weekly limit before Sunday midnight UTC.

over weekly limit.jpg

Yeah, there are a bunch of things that could be going wrong (though I can't recall ever having had a problem with manual time). But, the original post says the client enabled manual time because she knew he was working more hours...can't think what else that might mean.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths