🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Time tracker icon gone from system tray after...
Page options
traviswolfe2014
Community Member

Time tracker icon gone from system tray after every update

I like to keep the time tracker icon in my system tray (Windows 10) for a clear indicator of when I'm tracking (green) and when I'm not (grey).  I use hotkeys to start and stop, but that's not so relevant here.  I can show the icon in my tray by doing the following: Right-click on taskbar  > Taskbar settings > then click "Show which icons appear on the taskbar" > and turn on the icon for Upwork.  All is perfect.  But every couple days when theres a new update to the time tracker app (with no new features or changes **sigh**) I have to do this process all over again.  Anyone know of a permanent, one-time fix to keep the icon in my system tray forever?

18 REPLIES 18
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Travis,

I apologize for the trouble this caused. Could you please report this following the ''How do I report a problem?'' section of this help article?  This will create a log file with the information needed by our team to assist you efficiently.

~ Bojan
Upwork

Thank you.  I did that.

ivy_gozo
Community Member

Hi..
Im experiencing the same thing now.
It updated a minute ago and now, no icon on the taskbar...

Hi Ivy,

I've shared your concern with the team. One of our agents will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket.

~ Joanne
Upwork
jzng
Community Member

I am having the same problem. Can you post the solution here so that we can all get the help. Thanks!

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Jin,

Could you please report this following the ''How do I report a problem?'' section of this help article?  This will create a log file with the information needed by our team to assist you accordingly. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi Goran,

Done! Thanks

mmaryborges
Community Member

Hello!

Since the last upwork desktop update (this morning) the little upwork thumbnail on my mac no longer turns green when my time tracker is on!

Is this part of the new update? Or is it an issue my end?

It was super handy to know time tracker was on just by looking at the green thumbnail, it would be super annoying if suddendly that feature has changed..

Thank you!

Hi Maria,

Could you also follow the troubleshooting steps I've shared in my previous post here:

• Could you please report this following the ''How do I report a problem?'' section of this help article?  This will create a log file with the information needed by our team to assist you accordingly. Thank you.
~ Goran
Upwork

Been happening to me for several years -- so frustrating that I push off updates for as long as possible.  I'd like to know if this gets resolved.  Thanks!

Hi Travis,

We apologize for the trouble this caused. I'll be sure to share your feedback with our team for their review. 

Thank you! 

~ Bojan
Upwork
magicianch
Community Member

Solution for Windows only:

_ Right click the taskbar

_ Click taskbar setting

_ Scroll-down and find a text that include "Show icons"

_ Look for Upwork icon and click "ACTIVATE"

_ Now it should be visible in the task bar.

If it's still not showing. Do this:

_ Uninstall Upwork

_ Go to ( Disk C > User > "choose the folder that has the username in it - Example: HP" > on top click view and checkmark "hidden folders" > Click the folder "AppData" > Click the folder "Local" > Delete The following 2 folders "Upwork" and "Upwork update" = this is to delete upwork cache.

_ Download and Install Upwork desktop again.

_ Now everything should be fine.

This 2nd step of uninstalling, deleting upwork cache and installing again can be used to fix any problem you face on upwork. Specially if you don't have time and you have to work.

This is a good suggestion and I have followed it.  Let's see if the icon remains after 1-2 updates.

This worked but after that the app automatically launches when i open my pc even though i didnt set it to. I have to maually end it on task manager and open it again to get the icon. Plus icon doesnt turn green even though im already tracking time.

Hi Michael,

If you go to Advanced Settings on your Desktop App you should be able to disable the Automatic Launch here. As for the time tracker icon not changing in the system tray or taskbar, the team is aware of this issue. They're working to fix it as soon as possible.  

~Andrea
Upwork

So far, so good after at least one update, perhaps two.  In other words this seems to have fixed a multiple-year issue I've had with the time tracker icon.  Time will tell.  Thanks again!

I'm back to report that after a few updates it broke again.  Finally on May 25th 2021, the update removed my Upwork Icon from the system tray once again and I had to add it back manually.  I guess it's back to the old ways of delaying updates for many weeks or months.  Updates with no new features or noticeable changes.  Smiley Frustrated

Hi Travis,

I shared your report with our team and one of our agents already reached out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your ticket on this page.

~ Nikola
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members