cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time tracker shows same screenshot for 8.5 hours but freelancer says they were working?

rltrdc
Craig F Member Since: Feb 10, 2017
1 of 13

Wondering what you'll think about this..

So I reviewed my freelancer's work diary, they're doing a powerpoint presentation for me and they estimated 30-40 mins per slide and another 2 hours for an after effects logo reveal.

So on Jan 30th they told me they would be able to send me the final presentation the next day, in approximately 36 hours time.  However, then they didn't even work on it that day and then proceeded to work the whole first week of February.  I looked at their time tracker and there are 3 instances where the tracker shows the same screenshot for over an hour.  Twice it was about 1.5 hr but once it was about 8.5 hrs, at the rate I'm paying them this amounts to about $340 if they are frauding me.

So I asked her about it and she says "the tracker was offline and it was cached work and she was working and never had this problem"

The thing is, if it was like the computer or tracker was frozen or something and it was the exact same screenshot I'd be more likely to believe that but you can see they are each accurate screenshots because the time in the status bar kept moving along with the screenshot.

The Diary says activity level was about an 8 but also 0 keyboard and 0 mouse events.

What do you think?  I Have to file a dispute tonight if I wish..

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 13

Did you get the finished product within the time span you expected and within the agreed budget?

cache mode does not cause an issue like that, it just temporarily stores the shots in memory before uploading, so that excuse is bull.

I have tracked nearly 10 000 hours with the tracker, and can assure you that it's never done anything like that,

It is up to you whether you want to dispute or not, but I would let Upwork Support take a closer look at that work diary in case there is some form of "milking the clock" going on.

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
3 of 13

Hi Craig,

If you found that some time segments in the Work Diary are inadequate and suspect a possible abuse of the Upwork Hourly Protection program, and haven't been able to resolve the problem in direct communication with your freelancer, please contact Customer Support and consider pausing the contract and filing a dispute. I can confirm that screenshots are regularly taken in time-caching mode and do see the activity varies between different segments in your Work Diary.

Untitled
rltrdc
4 of 13

You know I meant to come back and read responses and file a dispute but I had a long day yesterday and I think I had to do it by 7pm yesterday.. I guess nothing can be done now?

petra_r
Community Guru
5 of 13

@Craig F wrote:

You know I meant to come back and read responses and file a dispute but I had a long day yesterday and I think I had to do it by 7pm yesterday.. I guess nothing can be done now?

Oh Craig ....

Seriously... Why didn't you file for dispute yesterday?

It is indeed too late now. Have you ended the contract with appropriate feedback at least?

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
6 of 13

Hi Craig,

Could you please confirm if you communicated with your freelancer and asked them to remove the non-work related segments?

Untitled
rltrdc
7 of 13

I did ask them to credit them back.

petra_r
Community Guru
8 of 13

@Craig F wrote:

The thing is, if it was like the computer or tracker was frozen or something and it was the exact same screenshot I'd be more likely to believe that but you can see they are each accurate screenshots because the time in the status bar kept moving along with the screenshot.

The Diary says activity level was about an 8 but also 0 keyboard and 0 mouse events.

Frankly, the two facts above would make me go straight to dispute. If you can see the time in the screenshots and the time is different in each screenshot then there is no doubt that there was something "not right" 

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
9 of 13

re: "I guess nothing can be done now?"

Yes, there are important steps you can take:

- Close the contract with that freelancer if you have not already done so.

- Do not work with that freelancer again.

And most importantly, this:

- Next time you are working with a new freelancer, monitor the work dairy fairly closely, especially at first. Before any week ends, check all work diaries. If you see something like this... hours of work diary with unchanging screen shots, you need to call the freelancer on it before the week ends, so that you can resolve the matter without involving Upwork Customer Support and without using a dispute.

"Jerelyn, thank you for the work you have been doing. I noticed a period of 8 hours with unchanging screenshots. I'm not sure what led to that, but obviously those hours wre recorded by mistake. Please go into your work diary, click on those hours, and delete them so that our billing will be correct."

There are only two outcomes from you doing this:

The freelancer deletes those hours. Or she doesn't.

If she doesn't delete them or if she offers excuses for why those hours appear, then you can tell her:

"Jerelyn, I really want to work this out in a friendly way. Maybe I wasn't clear. I wasn't asking for an explanation. I was asking you to delete those hours. If you don't delete them yourself, I need to report this to Upwork Customer Support. They will penalize your account and you won't be paid for any of the work done this week. I don't want that to happen."

petra_r
Community Guru
10 of 13

@Preston H wrote:

"..............They will penalize your account and you won't be paid for any of the work done this week. I don't want that to happen."

Which would, of course, be an out and out lie. Why are you advising this client to lie to the freelancer and threaten things which have no basis in reality?

"Reporting" does not mean the freelancer's account will be "penalized"

A dispute would examine the work diary and ONLY payment for non-qualifying screenshots would (if the dispute is upheld) be "not paid." All properly logged hours WOULD be.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS