🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Time tracker using up tons of memory again
Page options
georgejonesiv
Community Member

Time tracker using up tons of memory again

I've had this issue in the past. I kept getting messages from Windows stating that I was running low on system memory early this morning and I brushed it off because I was working with a ton of terminals and figure maybe I was kinda pushing it. However, a little while ago, with the tracker off, the same window popped up. I closed out of a few applications I was running at the time but this time I took a look at the task manager and it appears the Upwork time tracker, while not in use, was hogging up just over 1.2GB of RAM in a single process. Attached to this is a screenshot of it as well as the version of the time tracker I'm using. 

Anyone else having similar issues with the app?

upwork_huge_memory.pngupwork_version.png

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Alexandra,

I'm sorry to hear you feel this way, I understand how this can be frustrating. In some cases, the Upwork Team App for Mac (more specifically the "Upwork Helper" process) will develop excessive CPU usage.

Since the issue persists after updating the app version, try quitting the Upwork Team App, open the Terminal on your Mac, and then run this command:

open Upwork.app --args --enable-gpu

You may need to repeat step 2 every time you open the app until the next time the app updates. When it asks to update, be sure to let it.

If this doesn't help, it may be best to reach out to our support team so they can assist you. by following the steps to report a problem here, you'll be sending our team your app's log file automatically so they can check what's going on.

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
LuiggiR

Hi George,

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing this issue. We'll have one of our agents reach out to you via a support ticket to further assist you.

Thank you.

~ Luiggi
Upwork

So support did reach out to me and had me change a setting to have the time tracker "Conserve CPU usage and memory". I did that, and it's still set. 

Today as I was working I noticed a tremendous slowdown in my VM which is usually indicative of the drive churning due to hitting swap (which it was) and/or high CPU usage. I checked task manager and... 

upwork_huge_memory_again.png

So I'm back at square one again.

LuiggiR

Hi George,

I'm very sorry to hear the issue persisted. I've just followed up with the team and one of our agents will be assisting you further via a support ticket

Thank you.

~ Luiggi
Upwork

Just an FYI: I recently had a new version pushed out to me and I allowed it to update. 

upwork_version_2.png

However, I'm still having the same issue. I just got yet another message complaining about low memory and after I had closed a few things I checked taskmanager and found the tracker is still using a lot of memory.

upwork_still_high_memory.png

Hi George,

I apologize for the inconvenience this caused. Our team is currently looking into this issue and will provide an update on your existing support ticket as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience.

~ Bojan
Upwork

yeah it always takes a gig on mine too. 32gb friends. That was the perfect amount for my work pc.

Welp... Still having the same issue, except adding the tracker sucking up goo gobs of clock cycles.

upwork_high_cpu_again.png

Hi George,

I'm sorry that you are still experiencing issues with the desktop app. I have escalated your concern to the team so that they can look into the issue further. One of our agents will update you directly via a support ticket. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

So we are now in Sep 2021 and the tracker issue is getting worse.. I am on a Macbook Pro 2017 model, Sierra. My fans never stop working loudly and everything is super slow because of the Upwork tracker. It is using 80% of my Macbook's CPU!!! And yes, I did check the "conserve CPU" and also updated the version... it is getting only worse. And no, I dont want support to reach out to me. I want a clear solution for this issue because if it continues I will have to renegotiate fixed price contracts with my clients as I cant use the tracker. Loosing some clients who dont like fixed price along the way.

Hi Alexandra,

I'm sorry to hear you feel this way, I understand how this can be frustrating. In some cases, the Upwork Team App for Mac (more specifically the "Upwork Helper" process) will develop excessive CPU usage.

Since the issue persists after updating the app version, try quitting the Upwork Team App, open the Terminal on your Mac, and then run this command:

open Upwork.app --args --enable-gpu

You may need to repeat step 2 every time you open the app until the next time the app updates. When it asks to update, be sure to let it.

If this doesn't help, it may be best to reach out to our support team so they can assist you. by following the steps to report a problem here, you'll be sending our team your app's log file automatically so they can check what's going on.

~Andrea
Upwork

Hi Andrea and thank you for your response!

I tried the workaround. However, this is what happens when I enter this command in Terminal:

I am a content marketer, not really a techie, so if anyone here has ideas about the right command - I will appreciate it.

Cheers!

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Hi Alexandra,

I'm sorry to hear this didn't help. Unfortunately, I am not a techie either 🙂

I know you didn't want a support ticket created but the truth is our support team would be the ones with the knowledge to assist you further. 

I would encourage you to report the issue so we can help you. Here’s how:

Click your name at the lower left of the app
Select Support and Feedback
Enter the details of your issue and click Send

~Andrea
Upwork

Yes, I think I have no choice. But it’s unbelievable how the 80% of upwork community are some kind of software developers and nobody could solve it till now!

Hi. I have the same issue. Mac Os Mojave. CPU usage is around 85% always. My fans never stops. Solution described to open app though terminal doesnt works. Please help or is there any way to download older version??

Hi Oleg,

One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to investigate this further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
alejandrg
Community Member

Upwork Helper at MacOS Monterey. 3.7 GB of RAM

alejandrg_0-1676031098206.png

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members