Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Timeline for process

Highlighted
Community Leader
Colleen E Member Since: Jun 29, 2016
1 of 7

I haven't read all the questions on this forum and I'm not sure if this is discussed in another forum, but I haven't found any answers to my question(s).

1.  When a client posts a job, does the listing stay up until Upwork is notified that tbe bid has been awarded? And then Upwork notifies the non-winning bidders? Is there a maximum amount of time a job can be listed?  I've seen job posts that are almost two weeks old with many bids (sometimes including one from me!) but no action has been taken - no interviews, no invitations, no hires.  Am I just too impatient? I've seen the little blurb that comes up as I wait for my messages to load - the one tnat says it takes an average of three days for clients to respond to bids, but twos weeks is a lot longer than three days. I have two proposals on my "active" list from August!

2. Is there a mechanism (or is it even  allowed) for a bidder to contact a client before a job has been awarded? Something along the lines of  "I'm sure you received bids from many qualified candidates. Is there something I can add to (or delete from) my proposal to make it fit more closely with your requirements."

If these questions are addresses im another forum or in a query posted by another freelancer, please point me in the right direction.  Thanks very much

Highlighted
Community Guru
Kat C Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
2 of 7

@Colleen E wrote:

I haven't read all the questions on this forum and I'm not sure if this is discussed in another forum, but I haven't found any answers to my question(s).

1.  When a client posts a job, does the listing stay up until Upwork is notified that tbe bid has been awarded? And then Upwork notifies the non-winning bidders? Is there a maximum amount of time a job can be listed?  I've seen job posts that are almost two weeks old with many bids (sometimes including one from me!) but no action has been taken - no interviews, no invitations, no hires.  Am I just too impatient? I've seen the little blurb that comes up as I wait for my messages to load - the one tnat says it takes an average of three days for clients to respond to bids, but twos weeks is a lot longer than three days. I have two proposals on my "active" list from August!

2. Is there a mechanism (or is it even  allowed) for a bidder to contact a client before a job has been awarded? Something along the lines of  "I'm sure you received bids from many qualified candidates. Is there something I can add to (or delete from) my proposal to make it fit more closely with your requirements."

If these questions are addresses im another forum or in a query posted by another freelancer, please point me in the right direction.  Thanks very much

Imagine, for a moment, that you are a client (I am a freelancer and also a client).

Think of all the spam, cajoling and nagging a human being will do to try and get the job. Now, this isn't your MO, but remember you're competing for that gig against upwards of 50 other people (including me since you're advertising yourself as an editor-- depending on the gig of course). As it is, they will try to undercut you, send free work, and any number of things to win the job (including irritating the bejeebers out of the client by spamming them with constant "hire me hire me hire me hire me" messages). 

And perhaps with that perspective, you'll understand why the answer is NO to your second question.

So, make your proposal count as that is your first impression (and many times ONLY impression, unless they take a look at your profile). If you can't earn the gig on your proposal alone...then, oh well...NEXT!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 7

Colleen: Those of us who are experienced freelancers here submit proposals and then forget about them. We do not monitor them or wonder about who is being hired. When a client contacts us, we talk to them and work with them to get an official contract and then we go to work.

We do not wait by the phone.

Highlighted
Community Leader
4 of 7

Preston, I suppose that because I don't have a full-time job, editing or otherwise, I think about the status of my proposals more often than someone gainfully employed might! I don't fret or stress about them; it's just that some of the projects sound really interesting to me, and I'm eager to do them. (I've been known to download an attachment and "play" with it just because it interests or challenges me.  When/if I'm notified that I wasn't selected for the project, I immediately delete it from my files.)

Anyway, thanks for the reminder that I DO have another life!

Highlighted
Community Leader
5 of 7

Thanks, Kat. I guess I never really looked at it from the client's point of view. I'll just have to make my proposals more enticing!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
6 of 7

@Colleen E wrote:

1.  When a client posts a job, does the listing stay up until Upwork is notified that tbe bid has been awarded? And then Upwork notifies the non-winning bidders?

As long as the client doesn't close the job, it will stay open even if someone has been hired.

Is there a maximum amount of time a job can be listed?  I've seen job posts that are almost two weeks old with many bids (sometimes including one from me!) but no action has been taken - no interviews, no invitations, no hires.  Am I just too impatient? I've seen the little blurb that comes up as I wait for my messages to load - the one tnat says it takes an average of three days for clients to respond to bids, but twos weeks is a lot longer than three days. I have two proposals on my "active" list from August!

A job can stay up, even with interviews, for months (if not longer) As long as there is client activity the job can stay open. I've been told that a job will automatically close after 1 month if there's no activity, but I've got jobs open between 1 and 3 months with tons of intervies and at least 2 with no client activity for over a month.

I look at them from time to time to see how long they can stay up and open, but once I submit a bid, I don't sit around and wait, I look for other jobs to bid on.

There used to be a feature that allowed contractors to (contact) post questions, but that was discontinued when contractors started to put their proposals in there (so as to not lose any of their connects. It was also abused with messages begging for a job

Highlighted
Community Leader
7 of 7

Thanks, Kathy, for educating me. I don't sit around and wait either; I, too, continue to look for interesting, challenging assignmengts, but I'm glad I don't have to rely on winning bids as my main source of income - I'd starve to death!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS