Tips for Freelancer

Ace Contributor
Md. Shohag H Member Since: Feb 3, 2015
1 of 13
Hi Freelancers,

Congratulation
they won first project on upwork.

Here are few tips to complete a project successfully:

* Always use time tracker when you work on your client’s project.
* dedicate more time to this project. try to over deliver.
* once you build good relation ship with client and if you have free time left you can bid on part time projects-(be careful your first job).
* communicate regularly with Client’s. Remember communication is the key run a project successfully.
* learn some new - (skills).
*Review the client's instructions and ask questions about project.
*Review your work diary regularly. Make sure to remove time that is not relevant to the job. Taking permission to your client to add time manually. *
Congrats on your first project.

Thanks Smiley LOL
Shohag
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 13

I have a tip for you, too:

Write your own overview, instead of stealing copying a random one on the Internet.

As a client I might think that if you are willing to plagiarize your overview you may be willing to plagiarize whatever work I pay you to do for me...

If you DO feel the need to steal copy and paste bits of someone else's overview, make sure you remove the parts that apply to THEIR field of speciality, such as "• Clear and friendly code (your backend guys will be happy)." - that alone was a bit of a give-away in the profile of a Graphics person...

Ace Contributor
Md. Shohag H Member Since: Feb 3, 2015
3 of 13

Hi!

Petra,

Thanks for your reply. I like your tips and advies. Also I am following your advice.

Thanks

Shohag

Community Guru
4 of 13

Even the blabla in your employment history is copied and pasted,

For crying out loud! You are trying to sell yourself as a CREATIVE person, yet have failed to apply a SINGLE bit of your own in that entire profile of yours.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 13

Petra, as you know, there is a widespread subculture of freelancers who simply copy and paste almost everything they do. This even extends to their profiles, as you have seen. When they are hired to work, they copy most of the work they do for clients.

Sometimes this is effective, as they are able to provide services at low rates. But any client who needs original thought and work, whether it is for logos or written articles or programming, needs to carefully avoid these contractors.

Some of the frustrations clients sometimes express with low-rate programmers is due them having hired a contractor who is not a true programmer at all but is somebody who just copies things from the Internet without any understanding of what he is doing or the source code he is dealing with. If things go wrong or need to be modified in any but the simpler ways, the programmer has no clue what to do. Sometimes that type of contractor IS cost-effective, as long as the client doesn't need anything novel or complex.

For more conscientious contractors, I think the copy-and-paste mentality can be difficult to understand.

Devesh V Member Since: Aug 22, 2015
6 of 13

HI Preston .

I totally aggred to your points " I think the copy-and-paste mentality can be difficult to understand." but some times its became compulsion of freelancers to copy paste.

You can take an example and i personally also know many freelancers who are very good programer and designers but they cant read or write proper english but they are very skilled so they have no choice forby doing copy paste .

what do you think on this matter .

Regards

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
7 of 13

re: "what do you think on this matter"

If a contractor is truly a very good programmer or designer, but can not read or write English at all, then he does himself a disservice by copying and pasting from somebody else's profile. Such a person should write the best original profile he can and then enlist the help of a human translator to render the text into proper English.

And then he should focus his job hunting on work with clients who speak his native language.

Community Guru
8 of 13

@Devesh V wrote:

what do you think on this matter .

Regards

I tell you what I think! (I know you asked Preston, and I'm clearly not Preston, but it's a free world so I comment anyway!)

I think it is absolute, abject nonsense that someone has "no choice" but to steal (and that is EXACTLY what it is) someone else's work.

The "oh but their English isn't good enough to write their own so they have to" thing is hogwash. Our friend above claims proudly on their profile to be "fluent" in English, which is clearly another lie. As, incidentally, do you...

Fluent means that you state: "I have complete command of this language with perfect grammar"

How stupid do people think clients are? They see an overview in perfect English, compare it to the word-salad in the proposal or the initial communications, and know immediately that they are dealing with a deeply dishonest, disrespectful, sneaky individual who can not be trusted because they have proven themselves to be deceitful before they even started to work. Trust is everything in freelancing. A freelancer who can not be trusted can not be worked with. Simple!

When I see that someone has stolen their overview text I no longer trust that anything on their profile, including their portfolio items, is from them.

How can it *possibly* be even remotely ok to steal someone else's work (and it IS work to write an overview?)

I am at a loss to understand that mindset. I really am.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
9 of 13

ProTip: if you hire a designer who steals his overview and samples, don't be surprised when your logo and designs are stolen.

Community Guru
10 of 13

@Jennifer M wrote:

ProTip: if you hire a designer who steals his overview and samples, don't be surprised when your logo and designs are stolen.

(sarcasm mode ON)............. and the actual copyright owner sues the hell out of you and you pay a few thousand Dollars plus legal costs.

Makes it all worthwhile then to have saved $ 20 on the original design.

(sarcasm mode OFF)

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS