cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tips on Closing a Job

Highlighted
Katy G Member Since: Aug 17, 2015
1 of 2

I was just wondering if anyone has a little bit of advice on job closing etiquette. I know that freelancers are encouraged to tell the client to close the job and leave feedback, however, I'm just curious if anyone has good tips on how to word that message exactly. 

Also, should I expect clients to already know how to close a job? If they are new to the website or seem confused, is there a way for me to figure out how to explain it to them - since they are seeing and using the platform from the clients' end instead of the freelancers' end I'm not quite sure if I will be able to communicate it effectively. 

Cheers,

Katy

Ace Contributor
Jessica V Member Since: Jul 30, 2015
2 of 2

Hello Katy,

When closing jobs I always make sure I do the following:

- Ask and wait around for an overall feedback message of the work from the client - and fix and tweak anything that needs it.

- Ask if I can be of any further help to the client

- Wish the best of luck to the client's projects

- Ask the client if he would mind leaving me some feedback on the job for my Upwork profile (I always leave feedback for them first)

- Thank them and ensure that they know that you will be available if any projects of the same kind arise.

This should be a proper way to close a job. Sometimes clients release funds, thank you and then disappear (the curse of many closed jobs of mine without feedback). There is nothing we can do about that, but always make sure to end a contract on a positive note and if you can keep contact with your client, or keep any kind of communication means (Skype ID, for instance) you get bonus points, obviously.

I hope I helped!

Jessica

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS