Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Tips to avoid scam jobs?

skribait
Active Member
Saidul Amin N Member Since: Sep 25, 2016
11 of 21

@Rene K wrote:

@Saidul Amin N wrote:

> So, I think It shouldn't be a good idea to do the deal outside Up work while being a starter

 

Pulling clients off-platform, whether you are just starting up on Upwork or not, will lead to only two things:

 

- you being scammed

- your account being suspended


 

I actually didn't mean to say to do deal outside up work either after being experienced.**Edited for Community Guidelines**

 

katrinabeaver
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
12 of 21

@Saidul Amin N wrote:

@Rene K wrote:

@Saidul Amin N wrote:

> So, I think It shouldn't be a good idea to do the deal outside Up work while being a starter

 

Pulling clients off-platform, whether you are just starting up on Upwork or not, will lead to only two things:

 

- you being scammed

- your account being suspended


 

I actually didn't mean to say to do deal outside up work either after being experienced. **Edited for Community Guidelines**

 


NO YOU CAN'T!!!!  UNLESS, you have worked with a client for two years or the client pays a buyout fee.  Please don't be telling new people this, it can get them in trouble.  

 

Please take the time to read the ToS so you can protect yourself as well.  

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
skribait
Active Member
Saidul Amin N Member Since: Sep 25, 2016
13 of 21

Ok. I'll keep this in mind.  🙂

katrinabeaver
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
14 of 21

@Saidul Amin N wrote:

I think I also fell in this awkward position too. A few days ago I got a client who told me to contact with him through Skype and then he gave me a real project and also sent half of the total funds to my account.

 

As a result, He got my trust and then I did his job. He accepted my job and gave good feedback. I asked him about the remaining funds then he told he would send the remaining funds recently.

And then he gave me another project. As he won my trust and we had built quite a friendly co-operative relation so I did the project again and send him.

 

But After completing and sending the second project I haven't got any response from that client. I am trying to contact with him but getting no response at all. So I think I might be screwed.

I don't know maybe he is facing some problems now and unable to contact me and will contact me later.But if it's not then I'm really screwed.

 

So, I think It shouldn't be a good idea to do the deal outside Up work while being a starter as we are. And if we do then we have to be very careful. 


So you took the work off platform?  Well you won't get paid, that's for sure.  As Rene said, it lose all you protections and might even lose your account.  

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
skribait
Active Member
Saidul Amin N Member Since: Sep 25, 2016
15 of 21

@Katrina B wrote:

So you took the work off platform?  Well you won't get paid, that's for sure.  As Rene said, it lose all you protections and might even lose your account.  


 

Yes, I did. And got a good lesson though.

 

However, sometimes these type of learning needed right? It taught me well. From now on I'll keep this learning in my mind 🙂

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
16 of 21

Hi Saidul Amin,

 

Please, follow the advice Katrina and Rene shared here and never accept payments outside of Upwork. It's a serious violation of Upwork Terms of Service which you can find here. If a client ever offers payment outside of Upwork, please reports them.

~ Valeria
Upwork
skribait
Active Member
Saidul Amin N Member Since: Sep 25, 2016
17 of 21

 


@Valeria K wrote:

Hi Saidul Amin,

 

Please, follow the advice Katrina and Rene shared here and never accept payments outside of Upwork. It's a serious violation of Upwork Terms of Service which you can find here. If a client ever offers payment outside of Upwork, please reports them.


 

 I'll definitely follow their valuable advice.

 

And thanks for the link .............

rileycou0896
Active Member
Riley C Member Since: Sep 17, 2020
18 of 21

Why have I seen so many Upwork community gurus be low-key mean? He already said he won't take work outside the platform--it's a rookie mistake--to which you shout-text in all caps and then heckle him further. He gets it. I do too. I'm thankful to have my questions cleared up but there's no need for blatant rudeness.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
19 of 21

Riley C wrote:

Why have I seen so many Upwork community gurus be low-key mean? He already said he won't take work outside the platform-


Because we are all sick to the back teeth of having ever stricter restrictions imposed on us because of people who should not have unsupervised access to the Internet because they can't handle it. We are being punished because of people who cheat or lack the most basic common sense. We are hit financially and so are our clients.

 

You are responding to a 4+ year old thread "defending" someone who hasn't even had an Upwork account for years...

rileycou0896
Active Member
Riley C Member Since: Sep 17, 2020
20 of 21

I don't care that the thread is 4 years old. I think we can all agree that we should try and be a little kinder to the imperceptible people on the receiving end of our ill wills over the internet. I see this level of irritation on current threads too. Not sure what's up with Upwork as a company but I would hope it is good to its employees.

 

I don't know what you as a community guru go through. I don't have your job. But I must say if you work for a company that responds to its customers' ignorance (and "responding" healthfully is, almost certainly, a necessary facet of any company-customer relationship) by imposing harsher restrictions and paycuts on its employees than why are you under its thumb?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS