🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: To all freelancers looking for help
Page options
the-right-writer
Community Member

To all freelancers looking for help

I have always had freelancers come to me for help. In the last year, the river has swelled into an enormous ocean.

You don't need me; Upwork provides an enormous amount of information that few ever use. If, after you have gone through all the information I provide, you still have questions, that is when you ask additional questions in the forum.

If you think you will make big bucks right away, you are mistaken. The majority of freelancers never land a job because they have no skills and aren't interested in educating themselves. Others believe online freelancing is a path to full-time employment. It can be, but highly unlikely on this platform.

Freelancing is not for everyone. It means you are self-employed and must adhere to all regulations and laws governing responsibilities, such as paying taxes. Freelancing means you are on your own. No one has your back, including Upwork. If you don't follow the rules, no one will or can help you.

If you are willing to work hard, follow the rules and prepared to spend a lot of connects and proposals, you can be successful, as many are on Upwork. While so many fail, it is almost always due to lack of skills and treating freelancing like employment  where the employer will make sure you do the job correctly.

If you want to succeed, start with the Terms of Service, then read this from Wes.

Then go here. Then here.  Next, check this site regularly for events such as webinars and other learning opportunities.

After that, go here for safety information, and then here. If you still need help, after you have gone through all the previous steps, you can find additional help here. This thread is dedicated to new freelancers. And here are announcements from Upwork that can help keep you up to date.

It will take some time to go through all the information. I'm not suggesting people should not post in the forum, I am suggesting before you ask questions and want help, you need to help yourself first.

From Prashant P: "And have relevant profile picture of your face.  Not some desks, or Mickey mouse, or full face covering." 

From Susan S: "And patience! Have patience! It takes a while to get started, even after going through all the information available."

From Martina P:  "Only one thing you forgot, namely telling people to use all 15 skills, if you have all 15 skills"

And with advice from Maria T, I will say, 

Refrain from personal messages, please read all the links I have added.

1,594 REPLIES 1,594
Community Member

Now, how to keep this from getting buried. Daily comments?

I may need to repeat myself hourly as I have more people who saw the post and decided I am so knowledgeable, they want me to help them individually.

😲How bad is the DM flood?

🙄

This is odd...where did my post go?

Dear Jeanee H:

Your comments are very helpfull, can you please review my profile as well.

Regards

Faraz Ahmad

Community Member

Thanks Usman:

I have gone through your profile, You should add more details and catching things to your profile.

Regards.

Faraz,

Please use two Skills in the Title and write four compelling paragraphs for the Summary with a focus on the first sentence since it appears in client search.

Thanks William:

I am working on your suggestions, your suggestions are important for me.

1. I am looking on first sentence as per your guidance.

Regards.

Faraz,

Best on your Profile and have a great day!

Thanks Willaim:

You are most welcome!

hello William can you help me .?im new here .i dont know how start work here ?can u help me ?pleasee

Go back to the post pinned to the top, read it and follow every link. You are at high risk of being scammed, because the scammers can tell you aren't following the rules and best practices for the platform. All the information you need from Upwork, and the Red Flags on Scams from Wes, is contained in the post.

Your profile is empty, and whatever you think you are going to get for $200.00 an hour isn't happening on Upwork. If you want to freelance, you need many things, including marketable skills, money to run the business, time, patience, motivation, and again, marketable skills. If you do not have any of these things, you may be better off finding an employer.

Freelancing isn't something you can jump into, and learn along the way. You need to do a hard assessment of your marketable skills, and ability to freelance. Currently, you will not find a legitimate client. It's up to you, if you are safe or scammed.

Ruzik,

Please start by clicking the Academy link on the top of this page on how to complete your Profile and for success tips. Let me know once the Profile is updated and I can take a look.

Faraz,

You are most welcome and have a great day!

Hello William

I hope you're doing well. You've always been there to help everyone. Could you please visit my profile and let me know what might be wrong with it? Lately, my proposals aren't getting many views, and I'm not receiving any new projects.

Hello Shugufta,

Please write four compelling paragraphs for your Summary minus the emoticons with a focus on the first sentence since it appears in search. Also add a Project Catalog.

Hi William T C.

I am new to Upwork, and I see that you have been helping others.

It'd be really great if you take a look at my profile and give me some advices on overview.

Regards,

Dmytro

Dmytro, you need to go back to the top post, and read it, and follow every single link. Pay close attention to the Terms of Service and the Red Flags on Scams from Wes. The scammers can tell, just from your profile, that you are inexperienced and haven't read the policies and best practices for freelancers. This makes you a target for scams. The more professional your profile, the fewer scammers will approach.

Your introduction needs to be rewritten. The top line is all clients see in a search, and you have to write something that will tell them what you can do better than anyone else. No greetings, no explanation of your primary skill because it's prominently on your profile. Look through the searchable skills to decide what to use for your title.

Learn the rules, the scams, and how to protect yourself, because no one, including Upwork, will protect you.

Thank you Jeanne H.

Dmytro,

Please write four compelling paragraphs for your Summary minus the emoticons with a focus on the first sentence since it appears in search. Also add a Project Catalog.

Learn by doing by carefully reading through the available materials, forums, and information if you want to succeed on Upwork. Working as a freelancer requires perseverance, hard effort, and self-reliance. Before requesting**Edited for Community Guidelines**assistance, put learning, skill development, and comprehension of the platform's terms first.

What's going on, here? You have no profile, and your link is to an outside site, with another person's name. Why are you posting?

If you are not a bot, and you want to freelance, this is not the way.

Dear William T C,

I'm a newcomer to Upwork and noticed your track record of assisting others. I would greatly appreciate it if you could review my profile and offer some advice on my overview.

Best regards,

plant learns

Please, William, help me to review my profile

https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~0194f5ad0733af69d2

Nofisat,

Please add a Project Catalog and rewrite the Summary in a more compelling way that engages clients to contact you for the Job.

Okay sure i will add as per your suggestion 

Hi william,

I am new here and done my first job. Can you advise about my profile please?

https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~01ac8daeaa8bb14d52

I looked at your profile, and you have work to do. Begin with a proper photo with a neutral background and your face centered. The current photo is too busy and loses "you." Don't have hats, sunglasses, AI, gif, animation, flashing animation, etc.

Your profile is much too short, and doesn't tell the client why they should hire you over the other numerous, highly skilled graphic designers. Expand on the content and form into paragraphs. I like the content that is there, so expand on how you are distinguished from the rest of freelancers.

The first line is all the client sees in a search, so make it a powerful one that makes the client believe you are the one for the job. As you have, keep greetings, names, and skills out of the text.

After you have made changes, use the post at the top to the links for Upwork resources to continue to improve your profile.

You can try more and more and do a great job for your client. And try to submit a good proposal to the job post.

Hello William,

I'd appreciate it if you could take a look at my profile and provide feedback on what might be causing the issue. I haven't received any single invitations from last year, and I'm trying to understand what could be the problem.

Invitations have been down for most people, at least genuine, non-scam invitations. However, there is much you can do to improve your profile. Go back to the top pinned post, read it and follow all the links. They will take you to Upwork resources. Remove the lists, and form the text into paragraphs.

You have to use the first line to tell the client why you are the best choice, and be able to back up your claims with hard skills.

Your profile is full of graphics and emojis, and they all need to go. Use the information to make your profile attract clients and deter scammers. With some work, your profile will shine.

Hi William T C.

I am new to Upwork, and I see that you have been helping others.

It'd be really great if you take a look at my profile and give me some advices on overview.

Best Regards,

UMER FAROOQ

Umer, your profile needs work. Please use the post at the very top, read it, and follow every link. There are many steps you can take to improve your profile. First, use searchable skills for your title. The current skills will not find you any legitimate jobs, but only scams. The clients only see the top line of your profile. Do not waste it with names, greetings, or your skills title. That top line is your chance to tell the client why you can do the job better than anyone else. The rest of your profile is missing. You must have something there to show the client what you can do.  When you read the top post, make sure you understand everything about how to set up and follow contracts, the Terms of Service, and the Red Flags on Scams from Wes.

Hi Umer,

Please use two Skills in the Title, write four compelling paragraphs for the Summary, and use all 15 Skills.

Shugufta, You need to go back to the top post, and use all the Upwork resources, not just the Academy. Your profile could be so much better. You are wasting the top line of your profile, which is all the clients see, unless they open your profile. You need to tell the client what you can do for them, better than anyone else. You have to sell yourself in that one line. In addition, remove the graphics/emojis and use paragraphs. Some short lists are OK, but limit them.

Some freelancers like project catalogs, others find them unnecessary, just like consultations. You have to decide what works best for your business.

There is a tremendous amount of competition from bots, farmers, and real freelancers. It's crucial your proposals sell the project in the first two lines, which is all the client see on your proposals. Make sure you only apply to jobs you know you can complete perfectly, and don't boost unless you know you are one of the top two candidates.

Jeane, Could you please visit my profile and let me know about any thing missing in my profile. One more thing how i will optimize my profile to attract clients.

Thanks

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths