🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: To all freelancers looking for help
Page options
the-right-writer
Community Member

To all freelancers looking for help

I have always had freelancers come to me for help. In the last year, the river has swelled into an enormous ocean.

You don't need me; Upwork provides an enormous amount of information that few ever use. If, after you have gone through all the information I provide, you still have questions, that is when you ask additional questions in the forum.

If you think you will make big bucks right away, you are mistaken. The majority of freelancers never land a job because they have no skills and aren't interested in educating themselves. Others believe online freelancing is a path to full-time employment. It can be, but highly unlikely on this platform.

Freelancing is not for everyone. It means you are self-employed and must adhere to all regulations and laws governing responsibilities, such as paying taxes. Freelancing means you are on your own. No one has your back, including Upwork. If you don't follow the rules, no one will or can help you.

If you are willing to work hard, follow the rules and prepared to spend a lot of connects and proposals, you can be successful, as many are on Upwork. While so many fail, it is almost always due to lack of skills and treating freelancing like employment  where the employer will make sure you do the job correctly.

If you want to succeed, start with the Terms of Service, then read this from Wes.

Then go here. Then here.  Next, check this site regularly for events such as webinars and other learning opportunities.

After that, go here for safety information, and then here. If you still need help, after you have gone through all the previous steps, you can find additional help here. This thread is dedicated to new freelancers. And here are announcements from Upwork that can help keep you up to date.

It will take some time to go through all the information. I'm not suggesting people should not post in the forum, I am suggesting before you ask questions and want help, you need to help yourself first.

From Prashant P: "And have relevant profile picture of your face.  Not some desks, or Mickey mouse, or full face covering." 

From Susan S: "And patience! Have patience! It takes a while to get started, even after going through all the information available."

From Martina P:  "Only one thing you forgot, namely telling people to use all 15 skills, if you have all 15 skills"

And with advice from Maria T, I will say, 

Refrain from personal messages, please read all the links I have added.

1,592 REPLIES 1,592

Eddie, as a fellow Texan, more than happy to respond.

• I would create a short 1 minute video of you telling clients how you can help them with their WP needs.
  • Your title starts well and you may want to add what benefit you provide from your WP effort to the client.
  • You might want to spend time on the first sentences in your profile to show how you can help a client. Basically, what is the primary reason someone needs to hire you beyond just building a WP site?
  • You might want to create a bulleted list of your specific skills in your overview and/or include a testimonial.

Overall you have a good portfolio and history so most of this is just tweaking what you have.

Note, I created a free tool at Pouncer.ai that provides AI-powered suggestions on how to optimize your Upwork Profile. There is no cost and I created it to help other freelancers optimize their profile. Hope it helps.

P.S. If you look at my profile, it is horrible but I work to manage our agency account on Upwork so I focus on dealing with my partner's profile and not my own (he is the real talent, I just help him). 

Thank you Sean for the tips.  I never really thought about doing a video, but I guess I should put on my game face and give it a try.  Again, thank you.

I think we need to update our profile every month,every client done project? lol I am a newbie

Ricky,

It's only necessary to update your Profile as the Upwork algos change or your Skills, etc. need to be updated.

Please update your Profile to Public so we can review for you.

My job feed isn't showing me any new jobs from 10 days & showing jobs only posted 4 hrs ago. 

I refresh it many times, even clear all caches and cookies as well and restart my system but problem remain the same. 

What i will do to solve such issue.

Regards,

Zohaib S.

This update solved my problem thanks 

Do not keep changing your profile. Set aside time to work on it only until you are satisfied. Then leave it alone and perhaps check back in a few weeks to see if you still like it. Some freelancers like to change their profile yearly or so, just to keep it fresh.

Because you are new, you need to read and follow all of Upwork's rules, because you are at risk of being scammed. Go back to the top post, read it and follow every link. Pay special attention to the Terms of Service and the Red Flags on Scams from Wes. New and inexperienced freelancers are at high risk of being scammed. It's critical you learn how to do business safely. It's up to you to protect yourself because no one, including Upwork, will do it for you. The biggest mistake freelancers make is going outside of Upwork for any reason, even to talk to a client before an Upwork contract is in place.

You can leave your profile private if you wish. This is not the review my profile thread.

My job feed isn't showing me any new jobs from 10 days & showing jobs only posted 4 hrs ago. 

I refresh it many times, even clear all caches and cookies as well and restart my system but problem remain the same. What i will do to solve such issue.

Regards,

Zohaib S.

I have this happen occasionally. I switch around with different searches, and then it comes back. Hope it works for you.

Try fidling with skills you are searching for, or the countries you are interested in.

If I search USA only - I get a lot of days with blank jlistings!

Remember that this is always a roll of the dice waiting for jobs to post. There are cycles to the buyers pool of needs.  IE: Wedding videogtapers starve until spring sort of cycle.

Akin this to E-bay or Etsy or even Amazon. If you sell the ABC Widget - you dont get ANY orders until someone in the world wants to BUY tthe ABC WIDGET!!! -

The rest of your time, you mow the lawn.

This update really solved most of my problems, thanks so much for the update 

Give me dollers for work

Your post comes across as demanding and rude. Additionally, this is not the place to look for work. You need to go back to the top post, read it and follow every link. With your empty profile and no marketable skills, you will not succeed. What is "Pythan", for instance?

All you will find here are scammers. If you want to freelance, use the Upwork resources in the top post.

Freelancing means you are responsible for everything, from getting a job to completing one. You have to have marketable skills, and I am not seeing any. If you have marketable skills, then learn how to use the platform. If you do not, then you would be better off to find an employer. I tell you this, not to be mean, but because you are not going to find jobs with your current profile, but you will be scammed.

Old proverb -> Let the buyer beware.

In this business-> Let the freelancer beware too!

Scammer!

Well, we don't know that. But we do know that they did not follow the advice at the top to use Upwork resources, and don't use the platform correctly.

You are interested in free launching? Or free lunching? Or free learning? **Edited for Community Guidelines** brah? Pythan??? 

I'm expert in Anakenda.

my client ask me / How does 4:30 est work for you? / what does it mean ? and what should i respond ?

ijessop
Community Member

The client is asking if 4:30 eastern time zone works for you. You should respond with a yes if that time works for you.

Est means Eastern Standard Time.

Ciao scusami ma non so come scrivere nella chat comune oggi mi è capitato questo ho svolto un lavoro di traduzione e scrittura ,prima mi hanno detto che mi pagavano tramite swift e poi mi arriva questa email ,ovviamente io ho risposto che non associo il mio account in nessun sistema a me sconosciuto ,io penso che non vogliono pagarmi ...puoi aiutarmi ? questa è il testo della mail ......Hello, Your Payment  To Your BANK ACCOUNT is currently on pending as your account has not been linked to our Payment Server) You will be required to link your account as this should ensure that payment to our workers are been secured. WHY DO YOU HAVE TO LINK YOUR BANK ACCOUNT TO THE COMPANY RECOMMEND PAYMENT SYSTEM.

Have you ever downloaded a mobile app and had to provide documents or other personal information to verify your identity?

If so, you have likely completed what is known as a Know Your Customer (KYC) check.

It may seem like a few extra steps, but they're in place for a reason - to safeguard your information from bad actors.

ACCOUNT LINKING is a due diligence standard for organizations in the financial services sector. 

This process helps prevent fraud, Below is an invoice of your payment cheque issued out from RHI to your BANK ACCOUNT via  NORDATSTADGLOBAL ONLINE BANKING HOW TO LINK YOUR BANK ACCOUNT TO COMPANY RECOMMEND PAYMENT SYSTEM 

1.AN IDENTITY CARD OF RECIPIENT WHICH IS YOU

2.A LINKING FEE OF $120 IS REQUIRED 

3.MOBILE PHONE NUMBER 

NOTE: This $120 Linking fee will be refunded alongside with your payment

Kindly contact the Company Project Director via the link

elisa_b
Community Member

You should write in English in this forum. Anyway (FYI, below is the same old stuff people write to newbies scammed):

Ti consiglio di non usare Upwork se non hai solide competenze e se non sei disposto a imparare le regole. Quella in cui ti sei imbattuto è una truffa vecchia come il mondo  Leggi qui https://community.upwork.com/t5/Community-Blog/Top-Red-Flags-for-Scams-From-Community-Member-Wes-C/b... e non cercare lavoro finché non hai seguito i corsi Academy di Upwork. Ma tieni presente che qui ormai è pieno di truffatori, non è un eldorado. Rischi di perdere soldi invece di guadagnarli 

For anyone curious, it's a scam.

YES IT IS - The biggets reason I GOT OFF of 5r  They wanted $99 for me to prove who I was with a picture of me GOLDING my ID card......To flakey for my gut feeling 4sure

5a337b95
Community Member

Thank you so much for sharing these important links, I'm new here and felt lost, but I will keep looking and stay up-to-date

I wish one of the admins pin that post because it's really helpful for new freelancers:) 

miriam-ocampo
Community Member

This is the most coherent publication I have seen in a long time... unfortunately you're still going to get a ton of messages asking for help...😂 

sparkesusan
Community Member

And patience! Have patience! It takes a while to get started, even after going through all the information available.

bobafett999
Community Member

And have relevant profile picture of you face.  Not some desks, or Mickey mouse, or full face covering.  

Or your cat or iguana.

How can i get the upwork tick???

yofazza
Community Member

You'll get it after they verify your ID, which they will do after you get some jobs. Verifying everyone immediately is not efficient from where they stand.

8e8f6428
Community Member

Hello, Radial L.

I just had a difficult day trying to verify my ID and as i snapped the National Identification Slip issued  officially and validly to Nigerians, it was marked "X" and the process discontinued. I was given 11-14-2023 as the expiration date for the verification 

Prior to this, I had read digest on how Nigerians lament on the difficulties they face concerning this issue. WHAT IS UPWORK DOING TO HEED AND SOLVE THIS PROBLEM?

If i have defaulted in the process or requirements let me be prompted and guided rather than cutting me off abruptly. I was  patient the whole while tolerating the delays and loading errors, time and data expenses, so why not give me a helping hand and guide in the process,and to all those who have long tabled their complaints on this issue.

I am, and try to be law abiding and did follow the rules. Where did I err? At one time some days ago, the oval visual verification screen appeared without my knowing what it was all about. Upwork makes alot of page loading hitches. I suggest also that they be patient to guide members and newbies in particular who have not been there before. 

Hello Prashant,
Kindly help me out with my profile since I haven't landed any job yet after wasting lots of connects.

Use the post at the top to learn about freelancing and how to avoid scams. Learn about vetting clients and how to write an excellent profile and proposals.

411a8ed8
Community Member

Ok

virtualbrix
Community Member

Great Post!

margifted33
Community Member

Hi, after some time away from upwork after the pandemic, due to my full-time employment, I have wholeheartedly decided to get my upwork freelancing career back on track. I have updated my profile including my profile catelog, overview, as well as added recent portfolio projects.

Although I've begun applying for new jobs, it would be great to maybe get a referral to any copywriting or content writing jobs, probably one you're too occupied to execute. 

I do not know what you mean by a job referral. All you need to do is go through the job feed.

The only time I recommend another freelancer for a project is when I personally know them very well as far as skills. And even then, the freelancer is on their own to apply.

"The only time I recommend another freelancer for a project is when I personally know them very well as far as skills."

---------

That is precisely what I said to the requests made to me from strangers asking me to recommend them once Upwork implemented referrals...

3e4df3cc
Community Member

hello my name is imran i am anew freelancer please chek my potforio and give feed back

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths