🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: To all freelancers looking for help
Page options
the-right-writer
Community Member

To all freelancers looking for help

I have always had freelancers come to me for help. In the last year, the river has swelled into an enormous ocean.

You don't need me; Upwork provides an enormous amount of information that few ever use. If, after you have gone through all the information I provide, you still have questions, that is when you ask additional questions in the forum.

If you think you will make big bucks right away, you are mistaken. The majority of freelancers never land a job because they have no skills and aren't interested in educating themselves. Others believe online freelancing is a path to full-time employment. It can be, but highly unlikely on this platform.

Freelancing is not for everyone. It means you are self-employed and must adhere to all regulations and laws governing responsibilities, such as paying taxes. Freelancing means you are on your own. No one has your back, including Upwork. If you don't follow the rules, no one will or can help you.

If you are willing to work hard, follow the rules and prepared to spend a lot of connects and proposals, you can be successful, as many are on Upwork. While so many fail, it is almost always due to lack of skills and treating freelancing like employment  where the employer will make sure you do the job correctly.

If you want to succeed, start with the Terms of Service, then read this from Wes.

Then go here. Then here.  Next, check this site regularly for events such as webinars and other learning opportunities.

After that, go here for safety information, and then here. If you still need help, after you have gone through all the previous steps, you can find additional help here. This thread is dedicated to new freelancers. And here are announcements from Upwork that can help keep you up to date.

It will take some time to go through all the information. I'm not suggesting people should not post in the forum, I am suggesting before you ask questions and want help, you need to help yourself first.

From Prashant P: "And have relevant profile picture of your face.  Not some desks, or Mickey mouse, or full face covering." 

From Susan S: "And patience! Have patience! It takes a while to get started, even after going through all the information available."

From Martina P:  "Only one thing you forgot, namely telling people to use all 15 skills, if you have all 15 skills"

And with advice from Maria T, I will say, 

Refrain from personal messages, please read all the links I have added.

1,627 REPLIES 1,627
ebb9f1d9
Community Member

Hi, I'm looking for a job for 1 month, but I am unable to get the job. I'm following all instructions from experts and Upwork Academy, but I'm still not getting hired. Please guide me to figure out this problem.

You need to revisit the Academy courses. Your profile is all about you. The clients don't care. Clients want to know what you will do for them and at what price. Yes, your skills and education are important, but not to the extent you show.

Many freelancers are struggling, even ones with far more experience. You have to have the best profile you can, write fantastic concise proposals, and apply for a lot of jobs, spending a lot of connects on jobs you are qualified to do.

2af03968
Community Member

Respected Jeanne H 

I was having  a 100% Job Success Score for two months. I have got 5 five starts (maximum) in all jobs performed. But today JSS falls to 91%. Can you help me understand this?  Regards

Some client left less faltering private feedback. 

As Christopher said, it is likely it is because of private feedback. The public rating, stars and all don't have an influence on the JSS; it is the private feedback that is used. I'm sure Upwork figures private feedback is more honest, although it is also open to abuse.

The JSS is a program that uses multiple data to determine a score. While the private feedback is a huge part of the equation, there are additional factors like the date and amount of the job. Read this and it will explain.

Please edit your post so that it doesn't include 5 different links that all go to Jeanne's community profile.

Dear Jonathan,

I didnot understand, I did not link anything.

Somehow links must have been added to my profile. I didn't see them. Just remember to only include one link to a post if you want to use it. If you didn't mean to, don't worry about it, I still don't see them, so you're OK.

It looks like Avery removed them for you. Idk how you did it, but there were 5 links - some only a single letter.

c896c815
Community Member

Hello,

why is always hard to get the first order?

Because, no matter how experienced/skilled you are, you have no work history on the platform. Thus, you are effectively a completely unknown variable to Clients.

• Okay thanks

Upwork is an Internet platform. As such, your customers can't come into your storefront and shake your hand and get to know you a bit before they decided to purchase something from you. So, it starts out as an uphill climb.

The solution in part is to understand how the equation changes on the Internet. If they can't walk up to you and shake your hand and see you smile and talk to you then all that trust and confidence has to be manufactured by you. No one will supply trust or confidence in you except yourself until, of course, you start getting solid reviews from clients. Then the ice has been broken. Then you can point to the strong reviews to establish trust or confidence in you.

Meanwhile, it helps a bit if you can really establish yourself (in your profile) as an expert in your field and a friendly person. How do you convince people you are an expert? It helps quite a bit if you really have a track record to point to. To just say "I know Excel" or "I know Adobe Photoshop" doesn't make you an expert. It makes you a student. There's a difference. And many clients see through that.

It's pretty basic regarding sales of any kind. Most of the time, you don't spend your money on something you don't trust. You have to create that trust here, but not out of thin air. It isn't automatic.

That said, the word "expert" is often taken for granted, too. The freelance world all but requires you be an expert, not "pretty good" or "learning on the job." Besides economic factors, there are reasons this expectation exists. If you make a mistake, what is Plan B? You better be an established, insured businessperson (part of being an expert) to declare yourself a freelancer. I often think people believe established freelancers are trying to stuff the word "expert" down peoples' throats. But it's really just a sound business practice to be an expert before you strike out on your own. After all, look at all the marginally qualified workers who come to Upwork and wither on the vine.

Okay

In the digital age, establishing trust and credibility as a freelancer on platforms like Upwork is crucial. The blog rightly emphasizes that, unlike traditional storefronts, the online environment demands proactive efforts to build trust with potential clients. The foundation of trust begins with how you present yourself in your Upwork profile.

Confidence and trust must be manufactured through demonstrating expertise and a solid track record. Mere claims of being skilled in certain areas are not enough; substantiating expertise with concrete examples and past successes is essential. Clients seek results and reliability, and showcasing real accomplishments will differentiate you from those who merely make lofty claims.

Being an "expert" on Upwork carries weight, and it goes beyond just being proficient. Clients expect a level of professionalism and competency that comes with expertise. Investing in professional development and continually honing one's skills is necessary to meet these expectations.

The blog is right in cautioning against being overconfident without justification. An expert should be prepared for contingencies and be equipped to handle any challenges that arise during a project. Being insured and established as a freelancer demonstrates a commitment to professionalism and ensures that clients are protected.

While establishing trust initially requires effort, receiving positive reviews from satisfied clients will reinforce that trust and pave the way for more opportunities. As freelancers, we must remember that credibility is built over time, and delivering exceptional work consistently will reinforce our reputation as experts.

Ultimately, being a successful freelancer on Upwork involves more than just claiming expertise. It requires a dedication to professionalism, a focus on results, and a commitment to continuous improvement. By understanding the value of trust, credibility, and expertise, freelancers can navigate the online marketplace with confidence and build lasting relationships with clients.

Tural Babashov

Dear Ifeoluwa:

No, its do not too much difficult to get your first order, but you don't know how much far is your success. As soon as you get your first job you will be enjoying the journey.

Regards.

Faraz,

The first order is always special!

0773d74e
Community Member

I think its a pretty hard thing for a freelancer getting job if you don't have a track record. I have been trying to get a job since joining Upwork but its been tough securing one. One need a flick of lucky getting one even getting all needed parameters on your profile. And again Upwork needs to help on verification when one have completed profile 100%.

691086a0
Community Member

Greetings all, I am new in Upwork please I need someone to take a look at my profile and tell me if it's ok for a proposal or if I should still edit some things. Thanks.

Follow the links in the post pinned to the top. Hover over the links and it will direct you to Upwork resources tht will help you. Because you are new, you need to start at the beginning before youare scammed.

d3a3bee8
Community Member

sir i am a freelancer

Welcome.

natodenis
Community Member

Great post

13c0aacc
Community Member

I'm quite new to Upwork and being based in Europe, I'm shocked at how little I actually earn. The fact that Upwork takes 20% of each job plus VAT on service fees, plus transaction fees, plus exchange rate devaluation, all results in me working for less than the minimum wage. I like the reporting feature and the fact that time is calculated and billed as and when entered but I really don't see how it is viable to continue on this platform especially as there are other alternatives. I wonder if there are other Europeans on here who feel the same way?

I'm ignorant on international finances, but I do know there are many, many successful freelancers from all over the world, including Europe.

I'm in the UK, and yes, you lose a lot on fees, VAT, exchange rates etc., but this is true of every job platform that I know of (although some do allow you to charge in your local currency, which helps). You need to raise your rate enough to make it worth your while; a good rule of thumb is to charge at least twice as much money as you'd accept working at a full-time job in your field. 

I'm in the UK too, and yes, our rates have to be able to absorb all of the above.

By your rule of thumb, I reckon I should be charging about $55/hr (maybe slightly more). I'm not sure if I'd get many clients at that rate. In practice, I think we have to find a tradeoff that doesn't price us out of the market. I don't find it easy to market myself (and I'll admit I'm probably not very good at it). But if the jobs I'm applying for have 50+ proposals, many of which could be at $10/hr or less (or certainly a lot lower than my rates), I have to experiment and find the rate that I can live with that gets me just about the right amount of interviews. And also, continue to improve at showing clients where I can add value. I'm wondering if anyone else has found the following?

Not all clients need the added value of a freelancer with a higher experience level.

Not all clients are willing to pay for that added value, whether they would benefit from it or not.

Some clients think they can get it at a low rate anyway.

Some clients only want/need adequate work rather than high-quality work.

And some clients don't seem to be able to tell the difference.

It's been quite the learning curve!

All of what you say is true, but the bottom line is that if a freelancer can't get clients at a price that will cover their expenses and provide them with an adequate living, then they're better off getting a traditional, full-time job. Or just treat freelancing as a sideline, which many do.

You could cast a wider net and try to find local clients yourself instead of relying entirely on Upwork (one of my best clients is someone that I met at a networking event in my city). If you don't know how to market yourself, you should learn. Or, you can register with various creative agencies in the UK and get short-term contracts that way (I make £70/hour for agency work).

At your current rate, deducting service charges and VAT and converting to pounds, you're making about £24/hour, yes? A reasonably experienced person in the UK can easily find a full-time job that pays that rate, and it would be a guaranteed 35-40 hours per week, 52 weeks per year, with paid holidays and sick days and other benefits, and many employers allow you to work remotely. I'm sometimes tempted to throw in the towel and just get a "regular" job myself.

thank you 

Tural Babashov

Please note that 20% applies to client relationships (not just single contracts) that never reach $500 in sales. If we are able to provide a service that brings clients back for more, the commission drops to 10% after the first $500 in contract billings. At that point, the initial "extra" 10% effectively becomes a one-time finder's fee of $50.
If we cannot provide a service that invites ongoing or repeat contracts, then yes, we are stuck with a 20% commission.

Bernadette,

You are quite new on Upwork and you're off to a good start. However, I do a lot of profile reviews and if you like I could give you some pointers ... if you're amenable to that.  Just let me know or ask for help on the "New to Upwork" forum option.

015dcaf2
Community Member

Great work thanx really appreciate 

ca9e5e43
Community Member

Thank You. Appreciated and so very informative with all those links 😊 I've shared some

2dbfc99a
Community Member

Great, You are very right.

Everyone needs to take personal responsibility sometimes.

However, assistance and support should be provided when such is needed.

Anyway, I am still new here and I need positive energy.

aditya-expert
Community Member

Strange🙄

What is strange?

0d4eec83
Community Member

Thanks for the help

aditya-expert
Community Member

Hi,

Always aim to give 100% effort on projects you work full-time on Upwork. Showcase your skills in your portfolio to achieve better results, which will ultimately lead to better career opportunities.

Best regards,

Thanks for the useful links.

9e6363b0
Community Member

Great info...

alphaite001
Community Member

Greetings,

My rising talent badge disappeared after 1-2 days. Though, I didn't receive a mail that I was warded this but I saw it on my profile with the 30-connect that come with it. Now, I can't find the rising talent badge anymore. Thanks

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members