🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: To all freelancers looking for help
Page options
the-right-writer
Community Member

To all freelancers looking for help

I have always had freelancers come to me for help. In the last year, the river has swelled into an enormous ocean.

You don't need me; Upwork provides an enormous amount of information that few ever use. If, after you have gone through all the information I provide, you still have questions, that is when you ask additional questions in the forum.

If you think you will make big bucks right away, you are mistaken. The majority of freelancers never land a job because they have no skills and aren't interested in educating themselves. Others believe online freelancing is a path to full-time employment. It can be, but highly unlikely on this platform.

Freelancing is not for everyone. It means you are self-employed and must adhere to all regulations and laws governing responsibilities, such as paying taxes. Freelancing means you are on your own. No one has your back, including Upwork. If you don't follow the rules, no one will or can help you.

If you are willing to work hard, follow the rules and prepared to spend a lot of connects and proposals, you can be successful, as many are on Upwork. While so many fail, it is almost always due to lack of skills and treating freelancing like employment  where the employer will make sure you do the job correctly.

If you want to succeed, start with the Terms of Service, then read this from Wes.

Then go here. Then here.  Next, check this site regularly for events such as webinars and other learning opportunities.

After that, go here for safety information, and then here. If you still need help, after you have gone through all the previous steps, you can find additional help here. This thread is dedicated to new freelancers. And here are announcements from Upwork that can help keep you up to date.

It will take some time to go through all the information. I'm not suggesting people should not post in the forum, I am suggesting before you ask questions and want help, you need to help yourself first.

From Prashant P: "And have relevant profile picture of your face.  Not some desks, or Mickey mouse, or full face covering." 

From Susan S: "And patience! Have patience! It takes a while to get started, even after going through all the information available."

From Martina P:  "Only one thing you forgot, namely telling people to use all 15 skills, if you have all 15 skills"

And with advice from Maria T, I will say, 

Refrain from personal messages, please read all the links I have added.

1,627 REPLIES 1,627
piedcrow
Community Member

Hi, Jeanne. I don't know if this is the right question for you, but I'll get the correct answer. This is my first time paying taxes, but I don't know how to go about it. How much should I pay? The tax period? I appreciate it if you can answer that. Thanks

Hi Samuel,

We appreciate you reaching out to us. Upwork does not offer tax advice. We highly recommend checking with a local tax advisor for any questions that you may have as the policy is different in each country.

~ AJ
Upwork

Hlw maam,

I am new there. Can you visit my profile and suggest to me what should I do next?

Thanks.

My profile: https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~012a7bd50ff8a2e264

You need to go to the top post, read it, and follow every link. Your profile needs work, and you need a portfolio. Currently, you are a target for scammers. Learn the rules, and pay special attention to the Terms of Service and the Red Flags from Wes.

Protect yourself, because no one, including Upwork, will do it for you.

Hİ Şeref Ver

what should i do please help

Yonuz, go back to the top of the page, read it thoroughly, and follow every single link. You have a lot of work to do if you want to be a freelancer. You will have to learn the rules, how to write your profile and have a portfolio. Then you have to learn how to write a proposal and learn how to use fixed price or hourly tracked contracts. If you don't educate yourself, and post a legitimate profile, you will be a target for scammers, and not find real jobs. No one will force you to learn the rules; you are self-employed.

It will take you a lot of proposals and connects to land your first job. It is not personal, it is the way Upwork now functions.

jlmacalisang
Community Member

Hello Jeanne,

I am very interested to resume and continue my upwork journey. Any tips for me? I am a full time employee but I also want to spend some extra time to go beyond and learn new things in freelancing industry. 

Successful freelancing requires effort, time, and money. If you are working full time, you won't have much time to devote to developing your business. Since you have one job from two years ago, you see the difficulty in attempting to have a freelance career when you may not have the time to invest. On Upwork, being successful means you maintain a high JSS, which requires regular jobs, positive feedback from clients, and additional factors. Go through all the courses at the academy to learn everything you can about Upwork. Your profile needs work and you need a portfolio.

I wouldn't try to work as a freelancer if you don't have the time to devote now, because if you can't continue, your JSS will drop from inactivity. Better to wait until you can consistently look for work. However, there is nothing wrong with taking a job occasionally, as long as you are aware that you will not have a high JSS, and have to work hard to reach that level. It's difficult to get momentum, and once you have it, it's easier to maintain it than to get it back after having lost it.

Hello Jeanne,

I am very interested to resume and continue my upwork journey. Any tips for me? I am a full time employee but I also want to spend some extra time to go beyond and learn new things in freelancing industry. 

F. M. FARSATH

You're not allowed to have your WhatsApp contact info on your profile. 

🤔🤔🤔

F. M. FARSATH

Go back to the top and read the post, follow every link, and spend time learning the platform before you are scammed. Your profile needs to be revised, and you have serious errors in your brief introduction for a native or bilingual English speaker. An ampersand?

Freelancing requires a lot of time, effort, resources, and most of all, real, marketable skills. If this is a hobby, it's going to take you much longer to become established. Freelancing is also something you need skills for before signing up. I know that Upwork and other platforms encourage people with no skills to sign up as a freelancer. Of course, because they need money, no business is going to be honest about the odds of ever making money. The fact is, most never make a penny.

Learning is wonderful, and we should all hope we never stop. Freelancing platforms aren't the place to develop skills. It's possible to get a few jobs, but those freelancers attract scammers and are resigned to low-paying jobs.

What we need is an union.

Join the Freelancers Union. It's free to join and you can also purchase insurance through them. Taxes are also explained. Look it up.

Hi Jeanne, 
I am a WordPress developer and new to Upwork. I have been struggling to get my first gig. I have submitted about 10 proposals to different WordPress base projects. 
I really need help. 

Thank you 

“Hi Jeanne, 
I am a WordPress developer and new to Upwork. I have been struggling to get my first gig. I have submitted about 10 proposals to different WordPress base projects. 
I really need help. 

Thank you”

It will probably take you far more than 10 proposals before you find a job. With 18 million (still waiting for an Upwork response) or more freelancers, there is a lot of competition, not only in your field but from bots and freelancers who apply for any job, whether they are qualified.

If you haven’t read everything in the top post, do so now. There are links to help you with things like your profile, which is much too long. Create a great profile, high-quality portfolio, and write excellent proposals that get your client’s attention. Proposals need to be long enough to include what you will do for the client and how you will do it. Generic or copy-pasted proposals go nowhere.

It will take time, effort, and money to be successful. Most freelancers never land a single job. But, most of those people either did not have marketable skills, or they did not follow the rules and do what was necessary.

Thank you so so much Jeanne, I will put more effort and also do as you recommended. 
God bless you 

Hi Jeanne H,

Could you please advise us on how to develop marketable skills? We believe that we are skilled in our field, but we may not know how to effectively market our skills.

Can you help us understand what it entails and how we can navigate the Upwork market or freelancing in general?

Thank you in advance 

Teaching what I know would require more time than I am willing to devote to the subject. Marketing is more than selecting the "right" skills or adding to your profile. I have years of business classes, experience, and other sources of information. If other freelancers can do it on their own, why not others?

So, no, I am not going to teach anyone about marketing or how to market yourself through Upwork, more than I currently do.  Nor am I going to teach anyone freelancing or business.

With the Internet, and even libraries, knowledge is available for free. If you want to learn freelancing and marketable skills, do it before you sign up for a platform. Skills come first, then applying for jobs.

I am not interested in monetizing my assistance. However, if I were to conduct courses as you ask, the fee would be in the thousands. I doubt many people would be asking for help if that were the case.

Hi there,

A tip I can give is to only apply for jobs that you know you are fully capable of doing and ensure that the client has given you a complete brief of what is expected of you. Should I job go wrong it could affect your job success score and you could get a bad review which will negatively affect your profile and hiring potential for months to come.

This amounts to a tip to "be overly cautious". Downsides of doing this way include limited learning (if you do what you already know how to do, you don't learn -> your selling power gradually falls), and lower earnings (if you know how to do something precisely there has to be a lot of other people who know it too, thus your earning potential is limited). 

There has to be a balance. Sometimes work has to be a struggle. Sometimes you have to take clients without clear requirements - many of them are willing to compensate it with good money. Etc. Surely downside in this case is your JSS is at risk, but there is no free lunch, and choosing to stay 100% safe all the time will get you nowhere.

Upwork Freelancing Tips

That's great to hear that you're interested in resuming and continuing your Upwork journey! Here are some tips to help you make the most of your freelancing experience:

1. Set clear goals: Define your goals for your freelancing journey. What do you want to achieve? Is it about earning extra income, expanding your skill set, or building a portfolio? Having clear goals will help you stay focused and motivated.

2. Create a professional profile: Your Upwork profile is your online resume. Make sure it's complete, well-written, and showcases your skills and expertise. Include a professional photo, relevant portfolio samples, and a compelling overview that highlights your strengths.

3. Be selective with projects: Choose projects that align with your skills, interests, and goals. Don't bid on every project that comes your way. Focus on projects that are a good fit and offer fair compensation. Quality over quantity is key.

4. Polish your proposal: Your proposal is your chance to stand out from the competition. Tailor each proposal to the specific project and client's needs. Highlight how your skills and experience match their requirements and explain why you're the best fit for the job.

5. Be responsive and professional: Respond promptly to client inquiries and messages. Be professional in your communication, both in writing and during any client calls or meetings. Building a good reputation for being reliable and responsive will help you attract more clients.

6. Manage your time effectively: Balancing freelancing with a full-time job can be challenging. Plan your time wisely and create a schedule that allows you to dedicate focused time to your freelancing work. Avoid overcommitting and set realistic deadlines to avoid burnout.

7. Continuously learn and upgrade your skills: The freelancing industry is constantly evolving. Stay updated with the latest trends, tools, and technologies in your field. Invest time in upskilling through online courses, workshops, or certifications to enhance your skills and stay competitive.

8. Build a professional network: Connect with other freelancers, industry peers, and potential clients on Upwork and through other professional networking platforms. Join relevant online communities, forums, and social media groups to expand your network and learn from others.

9. Maintain good client relationships: Building long-term client relationships can lead to repeat business and referrals. Provide excellent customer service, meet deadlines, and communicate effectively. Strive to exceed client expectations and deliver high-quality work to establish a positive reputation.

10. Keep track of your finances: As a freelancer, you'll need to manage your own finances, including invoicing, taxes, and expenses. Keep detailed records of your income and expenses, set aside money for taxes, and seek professional advice if needed.

Remember, freelancing requires dedication, discipline, and continuous learning. By following these tips and staying committed to your freelancing journey, you can build a successful and rewarding career on Upwork. Good luck!

Yet another so-called freelancer trying to derail this thread with a ChatGPT-generated post. It also has nothing to do with the question asked.  A generic salad of words you can find anywhere on the internet.  Try for a little originality. 

Freelancers, be very cautious when you see posts in the forum, and make sure you trust the person posting. Unfortunately, people post using automated programs that are not very good. That's why you see irrelevant answers or no answers at all, but lots of words.

Also, look at the profile. Why would you listen to someone who has nothing in their profile, including a job. When the freelancer giving you "advice" has not done the basic work, have no jobs, and no chance of getting any - run, run away to the Academy or seasoned, experienced, dedicated to helping, freelancers.

Vetting people posting in the forum is a necessary step.

DM Flood??>>>

🙄

Promoting yourself in the forum is not allowed. You have a lot of work you need to do before applying for a job. Go back to the top to the article you skipped, read it, and follow every link if you don't want to be scammed.

e4363c3d
Community Member

Hi, I recently bought the Freelancer Plus but when I checked my profile from another account its shows offline, why is that?

Hi Ali,

Thank you for your message. If you are referring to the grey dot on your profile picture, you will need to switch your profile to Online from the drop-down on the top right of your Upwork page. Feel free to share the screenshot of your profile if it continues to remain Invisible after setting it to Online.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork

Freelancer Plus and the online button have nothing to do with each other, unless it is some kind of glitch. If it doesn't resolve, the moderators will tell you to refresh, try another browser, delete history or any similar program. Try turning the button off and on. If it still doesn't work, notify Support.

082314fd
Community Member

hello how to start my freelancing?

All details are available in the article at the top of the page.

Michael,

Please start by setting your Profile to Public so we can review it.

cd0d870b
Community Member

Hi, 

I am Zeeshan and new to Upwork, this is a great read, Wow. 

23b5e584
Community Member

Plz tell me what I wont any project plz help me kindly thank you 😊 

You have to start at the beginning. Read through the top post and follow every link. You will not get any jobs with your current profile. They will target you for scams because it is obvious you haven’t learned the rules.

Freelancing means you are self-employed, and responsible for everything you do through Upwork.

sankha_subhra
Community Member

I have just started my journey in UpWork. Any quick tips from pro users?

If you haven’t, read through the top post and go through every link. You need to work on your profile. The introduction is far too long and doesn’t sell your service.

Hi jeanne H how are you my name is Mohsin Abbas i am from Pakistan can you please review my profile and feedback please 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members