🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: To all freelancers looking for help
Page options
the-right-writer
Community Member

To all freelancers looking for help

I have always had freelancers come to me for help. In the last year, the river has swelled into an enormous ocean.

You don't need me; Upwork provides an enormous amount of information that few ever use. If, after you have gone through all the information I provide, you still have questions, that is when you ask additional questions in the forum.

If you think you will make big bucks right away, you are mistaken. The majority of freelancers never land a job because they have no skills and aren't interested in educating themselves. Others believe online freelancing is a path to full-time employment. It can be, but highly unlikely on this platform.

Freelancing is not for everyone. It means you are self-employed and must adhere to all regulations and laws governing responsibilities, such as paying taxes. Freelancing means you are on your own. No one has your back, including Upwork. If you don't follow the rules, no one will or can help you.

If you are willing to work hard, follow the rules and prepared to spend a lot of connects and proposals, you can be successful, as many are on Upwork. While so many fail, it is almost always due to lack of skills and treating freelancing like employment  where the employer will make sure you do the job correctly.

If you want to succeed, start with the Terms of Service, then read this from Wes.

Then go here. Then here.  Next, check this site regularly for events such as webinars and other learning opportunities.

After that, go here for safety information, and then here. If you still need help, after you have gone through all the previous steps, you can find additional help here. This thread is dedicated to new freelancers. And here are announcements from Upwork that can help keep you up to date.

It will take some time to go through all the information. I'm not suggesting people should not post in the forum, I am suggesting before you ask questions and want help, you need to help yourself first.

From Prashant P: "And have relevant profile picture of your face.  Not some desks, or Mickey mouse, or full face covering." 

From Susan S: "And patience! Have patience! It takes a while to get started, even after going through all the information available."

From Martina P:  "Only one thing you forgot, namely telling people to use all 15 skills, if you have all 15 skills"

And with advice from Maria T, I will say, 

Refrain from personal messages, please read all the links I have added.

1,592 REPLIES 1,592

That really helpfull. 

Khurram,

Please set your Profile to public so it can be reviewed.

we are in the  same boat mate!  seeking for help here 

Wissal, you need to use the top post, read it, and follow every link. It will explain to you how to use Upwork, the resources and the Red Flags on Scams from Wes that every freelancer should read if they don't want to be scammed.

You have work to do on your profile. It barely has anything in it. You only have one line to get the client's attention in the search, so it has to be strong. Also, you list being native or bilingual in English, but then in your introduction, you say fluent. Just change it so it matches. Clients don't like conflicting information.

It's not easy to break into freelancing and takes marketable skills, money, time, and patience. You are not likely to attract clients until you work on your profile, and likely proposals as well.

Every freelancer has to determine what is right for them and their business.

Wissal,

Please use three Skills in the Title, write four compelling paragraphs for the Summary minus the emoticons, and get Reviews on projects.

How do you do paragraph breaks in the summary? Do you use HTML? Mine don't seem to show up. 

Jennifer,

Just hit the enter key twice on your computer.

Bhavsinh,

Please use three Skills in the Title, write four compelling paragraphs for the Summary minus the emoticons, and increase the JSS to 90%+.

Hi nice job

DM flood ? 

Direct messaging, where you contact other freelancers.

But freelancers are not free to contact ☹️

You can contact other freelancers. There is no charge. However, please be mindful of privacy. Many freelancers receive uninvited messages. It can quickly swell until you can't find messages from those you want to network with from the flood of people wanting jobs.

Only contact other freelancers if you have a specific reason, such as networking. Networking is not asking for help, asking for a job, or asking for help getting a job.

Hi Jeanne, I would love to know how I can contact other freelancers, there are a few people I would love to approach for mentorship.

You can use the network feature if you are top-rated, or if Upwork has rolled out the program for everyone. Messages are allowed in the community forum. However, I would suggest you go through the Academy links and other Upwork resources first. There are threads from experienced freelancers and other opportunities for learning. I recommend you take advantage of all the resources, material, webinars, check back for new topics, and learn from a variety of freelancers. There is no single path to success in freelancing. Advice is great and can be a guide, but ultimately, each person has to find their way.

I see that you have put time into your profile - good for you! I suggest you shorten your introduction and put into paragraphs, and remove some of the box checks.

* To everyone, please be mindful that not every person may welcome messages, and some freelancers are inundated. Please be polite, considerate and do not plead for a job or demand one. Do not be offended if you do not receive a reply. Do not contact a freelancer more than once if you don't receive a response. Some freelancers are also clients, so, something to be considered.

Very helpful

Thanks

Please examine my profile as I haven't had any employment offers in the last few months.
I tried everything, but it wasn't successful for me.

Can you please help me?

Awaiting your response.

Best wishes
Bhavsinh Solanki

Hello Bhavsinh:

Freelancing is a time comsuming, it required patience and continous working and improving.

Best luck!

Hello Faraz

Yes, I know about it. But I'm a member since the last 3 years but I got only 2 jobs for just 15 $ 

I think there was some mistakes in my profile
Can you please correct it? 
It will be help me to grow early

Thanks 
Bhavsinh Solanki

You can go through my profile. I am continously working on it to improve. Please add some more information regarding your specialization.

Regards.

Go back to the top, read the post, and follow every single link. Your profile needs work. Your introduction is far too long, with too many lists. The clients want to know what you will do for them with your skills. Use the Academy to learn about profiles, proposals, and portfolios.

Proposals need to address the client's needs. Don't be personal, don't tell them how great you are. Do tell them, for example, "I will create a carefully crafted 3D logo that will take your brand to a new level." Use as many or as few words as you need in your proposals. Never ask for the job.

Dear Bhavsinh:

Since I was also in starting, did not get any job in last one year. But after some hardworking Alhamdollilah, I Got my first job, mean while I got second job offer. But dont loose your temprament and keep it up, you will get suitable job for your choice.

Regards.

Very well Sir.

Thanks Adil:

I have gone through your profile, its looking nice.

Regards.

Bhavsinh,

Please use three Skills in the Title, create a compelling four paragraph Summary minus the emoticons with a focus on the first sentence because it appears in client search, and get the JSS to 90%+ by doing an outstanding job.

Great 👍

Nobody likes to be approached to be a free mentor. Just saying... 

You are right.

Mainul Islam

Good

Yes

Can you tell us what to network for, if not for help getting a job? 

(I'll be honest, getting work is my main focus around this place.)

Networking is for freelancers with skills who want to share ideas or perhaps build a list of competent freelancers to recommend. It is not for asking/begging/pleading/demanding/guilting others into helping them or giving them jobs. I receive a ton of these messages all the time. When I give freelancers the tools to help themselves, so far approximately 90% do absolutely nothing.

Of course, having work is the focus. However, all freelancers need to learn how to find jobs on their own, with the tremendous amount of help laid out by Upwork and in the forum. No one should be contacting another freelancer, ever, for a job.

If you don't know the Terms of Service and have not read through every link in the top post - do not contact anyone. Freelancers must do the basics before trying to get a job, or contacting anyone privately for help. How do you think I can help 100+ people every day? Shall I donate my time 24/7 to people who are primarily too lazy to help themselves?

I network on Upwork with few people. I use my contacts to share ideas, learn about new things in my field, and generally discuss freelancing practices. None of my network has ever asked for a job, nor have I. Too many people don't know what networking is, and have decided to be on everyone's list. To what end?

If someone goes through all the information I have posted, they don't need me to lead them by the hand. It's why I went to the effort of making the post in the first place. Despite what many have told me, I don't owe anyone a thing. I am under no obligation to give anyone a job, even if they don't have money. I am also under no obligation to provide extensive ongoing business advice.

From Investopedia:

Networking is the exchange of information and ideas among people with a common profession or special interest, usually in an informal social setting. Networking often begins with a single point of common ground.

Professionals use networking to expand their circles of acquaintances, find out about job opportunities in their fields, and increase their awareness of news and trends in their fields or the greater world.

Great!

Please review my profile and give recommendations.

Regards

I will appreciate reviewing of my profile and guidance towards at least getting one job. I am very new in upwork.

Kind regards
Isaac M Kimani

Go back to the top post, read it, and then follow all the links to the Academy and other resources. You need to learn about setting up a profile and portfolio. The introduction speaks about you - but not the amazing things you are going to do for the client with your skills. Also, your history should be in past experiences or employment in a different part of your profile, not in the introduction.

Getting a job requires skills, lots of proposals, many connects, patience, determination, and time. It's not easy to get a job, and most fail because they have no skills. There are successful freelancers here, so it can be done.

Your profile needs considerable work as nothing much is there. Go back to the top post, read it, and follow every link. You need to learn the Terms of Service, the Red Flags from Wes, and everything in the Academy. Currently, you are a target for scammers because of your profile. Learn how to protect yourself, because no one, including Upwork, will do it for you.

I need to start my first job on upworks. Kindly help me.... after submission of many proposals, i didn't get any job. I am new here on upworks. Can somebody help me?

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths