cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To clients: Do you see proposals within time hierarchy?

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Dogan K Member Since: Nov 2, 2019
1 of 14

I want to know, is our effort to send the first proposal unnecessary or not?

I don't usually care about jobs more than 5 proposals submitted. This is because I think that my offer goes behind others and the client doesn't ever see it. Is this true? 

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
BEST ANSWER
2 of 14

Dogan K wrote:

I want to know, is our effort to send the first proposal unnecessary or not?

I don't usually care about jobs more than 5 proposals submitted. This is because I think that my offer goes behind others and the client doesn't ever see it. Is this true? 

No, it is not true, because proposals are sorted by algorithm, NOT in the order they come in.

Ace Contributor
Dogan K Member Since: Nov 2, 2019
3 of 14

So, do you know how the algorithm sort them?

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
4 of 14

In theory, by "best match," but that's pretty hit-or-miss.

Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
5 of 14

I think that it's better to get your proposal in sooner rather than later (though not necessarily first). After a certain number of bids are received, some get hidden in a separate folder and I don't think that all clients know that it's there or will check it.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
6 of 14

Christine A wrote:

I think that it's better to get your proposal in sooner rather than later (though not necessarily first). After a certain number of bids are received, some get hidden in a separate folder

Ah yes, but the ones that get shoved in there are not decided on whether they were late. You could end up in there even as the first to apply...

Community Guru
7 of 14

Petra R wrote:

Christine A wrote:

I think that it's better to get your proposal in sooner rather than later (though not necessarily first). After a certain number of bids are received, some get hidden in a separate folder

Ah yes, but the ones that get shoved in there are not decided on whether they were late. You could end up in there even as the first to apply...

Really? I was told by a moderator that it only happened once there were too many proposals. (Of course, if the client doesn't look at their project until the next day, then applying early won't have any effect. But I find that some clients get back to me right away.)

Community Guru
Jonathan H Member Since: Jun 19, 2019
8 of 14

Christine A wrote:

I was told by a moderator that it only happened once there were too many proposals. 

I was told by support that the folder didnt exist.....

then i sent them a picture and they told me it had been removed.......To which i said this is a new picture......

Then they said it was being removed......

Then they decided it wasnt being removed! 

So i feel fairly confident in the fact that we will never get a straight or honest answer. Any info given by upwork I take with a large pinch of salt. Its also part of the reason i now avoid jobs that i dont meet the criteria 100% (such as Jss over x%, or earned over $xxxx).

Community Guru
9 of 14

Jonathan H wrote:

Christine A wrote:

I was told by a moderator that it only happened once there were too many proposals. 

I was told by support that the folder didnt exist.....

So i feel fairly confident in the fact that we will never get a straight or honest answer. Any info given by upwork I take with a large pinch of salt. Its also part of the reason i now avoid jobs that i dont meet the criteria 100% (such as Jss over x%, or earned over $xxxx).

There's no need for that, honestly. The folder does exist - I saw it with my own eyes, LOL - but even though I had put in filters like "over 90% JSS", "at least X dollars earned" etc., some of the freelancers who didn't meet the criteria ended up having a "best match" next to their names, while other freelancers who did meet the criteria ended up in the hidden folder. It appears to be entirely random, so you've got just as good a shot as anyone else. (Maybe it works like the search results rotation.)

Community Guru
Jonathan H Member Since: Jun 19, 2019
10 of 14

I know - i'm just being grumpy and in a grumpy mood and feel like blaming everyone else Smiley Mad i'l get over it!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS