🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: To clients: Do you see proposals within t...
Page options
kirnazdogan
Community Member

To clients: Do you see proposals within time hierarchy?

I want to know, is our effort to send the first proposal unnecessary or not?

I don't usually care about jobs more than 5 proposals submitted. This is because I think that my offer goes behind others and the client doesn't ever see it. Is this true? 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Dogan K wrote:

I don't usually care about jobs more than 5 proposals submitted. This is because I think that my offer goes behind others and the client doesn't ever see it. Is this true? 

No, it is not true, because proposals are sorted by algorithm, NOT in the order they come in.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
petra_r
Community Member

Dogan K wrote:

No, it is not true, because proposals are sorted by algorithm, NOT in the order they come in.

So, do you know how the algorithm sort them?

In theory, by "best match," but that's pretty hit-or-miss.

I think that it's better to get your proposal in sooner rather than later (though not necessarily first). After a certain number of bids are received, some get hidden in a separate folder and I don't think that all clients know that it's there or will check it.

Christine A wrote:

I think that it's better to get your proposal in sooner rather than later (though not necessarily first). After a certain number of bids are received, some get hidden in a separate folder

Ah yes, but the ones that get shoved in there are not decided on whether they were late. You could end up in there even as the first to apply...

Petra R wrote:

Christine A wrote:

I think that it's better to get your proposal in sooner rather than later (though not necessarily first). After a certain number of bids are received, some get hidden in a separate folder

Ah yes, but the ones that get shoved in there are not decided on whether they were late. You could end up in there even as the first to apply...

Really? I was told by a moderator that it only happened once there were too many proposals. (Of course, if the client doesn't look at their project until the next day, then applying early won't have any effect. But I find that some clients get back to me right away.)

Christine A wrote:

I was told by a moderator that it only happened once there were too many proposals. 

I was told by support that the folder didnt exist.....

then i sent them a picture and they told me it had been removed.......To which i said this is a new picture......

Then they said it was being removed......

Then they decided it wasnt being removed! 

So i feel fairly confident in the fact that we will never get a straight or honest answer. Any info given by upwork I take with a large pinch of salt. Its also part of the reason i now avoid jobs that i dont meet the criteria 100% (such as Jss over x%, or earned over $xxxx).

Jonathan H wrote:

Christine A wrote:

I was told by a moderator that it only happened once there were too many proposals. 

I was told by support that the folder didnt exist.....

So i feel fairly confident in the fact that we will never get a straight or honest answer. Any info given by upwork I take with a large pinch of salt. Its also part of the reason i now avoid jobs that i dont meet the criteria 100% (such as Jss over x%, or earned over $xxxx).

There's no need for that, honestly. The folder does exist - I saw it with my own eyes, LOL - but even though I had put in filters like "over 90% JSS", "at least X dollars earned" etc., some of the freelancers who didn't meet the criteria ended up having a "best match" next to their names, while other freelancers who did meet the criteria ended up in the hidden folder. It appears to be entirely random, so you've got just as good a shot as anyone else. (Maybe it works like the search results rotation.)

I know - i'm just being grumpy and in a grumpy mood and feel like blaming everyone else Smiley Mad i'l get over it!

This is disturbing. Another algorithm to somehow sort results. And its usually only 10-15 proposals we really worry about. Like you can't fit that on one page. Algorithms are man-made so the are weighted towards something. And by what Christina pointed out results are absolutely nothing.

But 10-15 proposals on one page shouldn't look like much to sway a client.

Can someone post a screenshot of what 10-15 proposals looks like to the client?

kirnazdogan
Community Member

So, I see that we should apply as early as possible to a job that suits us 100%, but we should not take into account the number of proposals if we believe we can get the job.  Yeah?

Dogan K wrote:

So, I see that we should apply as early as possible to a job that suits us 100%, but we should not take into account the number of proposals if we believe we can get the job.  Yeah?

I think everything is a judgement call.  It certainly couldn't hurt to be the first one to apply and if they happen to check it before anyone else does you will be the first one they see...

But you could also be the first one they dismiss.

So I would say content trumps everything.  You need to write something that demands attention.  If you can do that quickly then do it but if you need to take a bit to get it right then take it.

Of the jobs you are NOT getting right now you have no idea why you aren't.  It could be for a variety of different reasons but there are only a few that are in your control.  Always seek to market and sell your services better.  That's all you can do.

Absolutely. If it fits you 100% go for it. I have to admit, if it said there were 20-50 props, I wouldn't.

There are other factors, such as the last time they looked at the job, 3 or more business days, forget it, they might have hired someone.

I haven't kept close stats, but I like to be within a few days, 1 or 2, to apply. I think you have a shot.

Sometimes I look for <5 proposals to find jobs no one wants, and two weeks ago I did!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths