cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To close or not to close...

lawrenceww
Lawrence W Member Since: Mar 2, 2016
1 of 7

Hello fellow freelancers, I'm sorry i'm raising this thread but i've been spending an hour looking through old posts and im still uncertain as to what, exactly, i should do.

I have 50+ successful jobs, but 2 jobs i worked on and was paid for 1 month ago, are still open because both clients have apparently forgotten UpWork exists. I have asked them to close numerous times.

Do i close the jobs myself, or do i just leave them open until UpWork decides to close them automatically? Which decision has the least negative impact...

Thanks for your help!

holymell
Community Guru
Melissa C Member Since: Jul 22, 2017
2 of 7
Close one now. Then wait until you've completed a few more jobs and close the other one. That's the best way to protect your JSS.

If that's what you're asking.
lawrenceww
3 of 7

Thanks Melissa, can you tell me why that's the best way? I really don't understand it.

aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
4 of 7

Hi Lawrence, 

Closing a contract or two every two weeks, while completing new contracts will help avoid creating a pattern of contracts without feedback (because a pattern of jobs without feedback affects your Job Success Score negatively).

-Avery
Untitled
lawrenceww
5 of 7

Ok, thank you both for your answers Smiley Happy

holymell
Community Guru
Melissa C Member Since: Jul 22, 2017
6 of 7
Sorry. It was time for me to sleep, but yes, that's exactly why.

If you complete successful jobs in between closing contracts, the system won't think you have a pattern of closing contracts without getting feedback. But maybe the client will leave feedback, you never know. They are notified when you close the contract.

But most of the time, when a client has gone quiet like that, they won't leave feedback so it's best to try to protect yourself from your score taking a hit, if possible.
jcullinan
Community Guru
Jess C Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
7 of 7

It takes 90 days for an open contract with no activity to be considered "inactive," which also lowers your score, so make sure to close both of them, staggered as suggested, but before they hit that mark.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS