cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To ignore budgets or to not ignore budgets?

squipple
Sam M Member Since: Mar 30, 2016
11 of 27

Sometimes I wonder if the budgets mean per hour or total. Like when you see a budget of $20 for something that's going to take several days. Does that mean per hour? Upwork needs a fixed/hourly designation.

katrinabeaver
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
12 of 27

I ignore budgets.  I apply, I give my price and that's it.  I have won several projects that stated, "entry level" or a budget of $5.

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
13 of 27

Hi Sam,

You should be able to see whether a job is hourly or fixed-price right under it's title in search and on the job post page itself. Please, see the screenshot below. Est. budget will only show on fixed-price jobs.

Screenshot_9.png

~ Valeria
Upwork
lilobibi
Tilo K Member Since: Feb 22, 2016
14 of 27

Hi,

I am a little bit astonished as well; especially lately those budget offers are flooding upwork and it is not even worth bidding on those any more.

I am more in the "Translation"-section and I have to disagree with some of you that the clients "do not know about the workload" of their projects.

I just saw an offer for the translation of a 45 page manual (and of course "everything should be perfect", "best translation ever", blablabla). And the budget is $30.

Nobody can tell me that a client doesn't know that $0.6 for the translation of a whole page will give him nothing but an automated translation, even from my dear collegues in other parts of this world ...

I am a little baffled that I haven't seen a "normal" offer in weeks now. It suddenly stopped.

Like one of the guys said - I would be sitting on hundreds of connects if I wouldn't keep fighting against this **Edited for Community Guidelines**

Thanks for listening - now I do not have to visit my shrink.

All the best to everyone and kind regards,

Tilo

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
15 of 27

re: "Sometimes I wonder if the budgets mean per hour or total. Like when you see a budget of $20 for something that's going to take several days. Does that mean per hour? "

Sometimes that's exactly what it means. Clients don't always use the interface properly. They get confused.

You can safely send your proposal and ignore their budget numbers. Nothing they say in an initial budget setting locks you into anything. You can negotiate. The final contract numbers are what matters, not the job proposal budget.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
16 of 27

@Tilo K wrote:

I am a little baffled that I haven't seen a "normal" offer in weeks now. It suddenly stopped.

Tilo

Hi Tilo,

They are there, and yes, you can bid well over budget and still get hired. Obviously you have to weed through the madness of the "45 pages translated for $ 30" nonsense but I don't think anything unusual is happening, there are always weeks when there seems to a bunch of great jobs followed by a week with just nonsense.

You may want to subtly reposition yourself price-wise. (Raise your rate)

You can't compete with the bottom feeders, so you might as well go after the high payers.

I believe the market in the middle is probably the most vulnerable.

It might also be worth your while to think about using your German in other ways, not "just" translation.

There are lots of contracts available that offer longer term / ongoing work where you could bring in your language skills, which pay well and offer you a "base income" - freeing you from the pressure of finding short and well paying contracts week in week out. That gives you the freedom to cherry pick among the higher paid and more interesting offers because you know the rent is paid, so to speak.

lilobibi
17 of 27

Wow, thank you very much upwork for censoring my comment.

There was nothing in there that was against your rules.

But now I see why you have to raise your fees.

It was also hard for the former east-german government to keep their Ministry of State Security (Stasi) running.

Costed a lot of money to keep all the people under surveillance and in the end ruined the state budget

Apparently my escape from that country back then hasn't brought me the freemdom of speech I was hoping for.

At least not on this platform.

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
18 of 27
Tilo,

You may be less familiar with the rules than you suppose. I am guessing your original post identified a client as well as a job. That is against the rules.

Best,
Michael
prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
19 of 27

Tilo:

Freedom of speech means that if I own a website, it is up to me what appears on that website. It is not up to the government nor is it up to Tilo to decide what appears on the website.

On your website, you can say what you want. If Upwork posts comments there, you can delete them or edit them or do whatever you want. That isn't a violation of free speech. It IS free speech.

Don't make a big deal out of nothing. Upwork Community Forum has very simple rules and guidelines. They allow robust dissent. But they just want to keep things witin the very reasonable rules.

lilobibi
20 of 27

@Douglas Michael M wrote:
Tilo,

You may be less familiar with the rules than you suppose. I am guessing your original post identified a client as well as a job. That is against the rules.

Best,
Michael

Hi Michael,

thanks for your guess and the assumption that I am the idiot.

I am very well capable of reading and have afterwards of course studied the "rules".

I didn't mention no client nor anything offensive or whatsoever, just an other word for "cheap labour" (just in general and with no link/hint to upwork, any client, world region or anybody, alive or dead!!!)

And if you had read my original post before posting something and seen the part that has been cut out, then you could have figured that mentioning a client etc. wouldn't have made any sense at that point.

But apparently this is also competitive sports, who has the most posts in here?

So, all the best with that,

Tilo

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS