cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To ignore budgets or to not ignore budgets?

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
21 of 27

Tito,

I am always fascinated to note that those who use the word "idiot" are typically defending themselves against a charge that has not been made.

I search in vain for the clues you point me toward. Clearly, I am still missing them.

Yes, the word(s) you describe are always proscribed. Thanks for the clarification.

Best,

Michael

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
22 of 27

@Tilo K wrote:

It was also hard for the former east-german government to keep their Ministry of State Security (Stasi) running.

Costed a lot of money to keep all the people under surveillance and in the end ruined the state budget

That is the first time I have heard this version of what led to the end of the DDR...... We shall have to re-write German history books.

lilobibi
Tilo K Member Since: Feb 22, 2016
23 of 27

@Petra R wrote:

@Tilo K wrote:

It was also hard for the former east-german government to keep their Ministry of State Security (Stasi) running.

Costed a lot of money to keep all the people under surveillance and in the end ruined the state budget

That is the first time I have heard this version of what led to the end of the DDR...... We shall have to re-write German history books.

Thanks Petra,

finally someone who does understand sarcasm.

Regards,

Tilo 

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
24 of 27

@Tilo K wrote:

@Petra R wrote:

@Tilo K wrote:

Thanks Petra,

finally someone who does understand sarcasm.

Regards,

Tilo 

German sense of humour is no laughing matter (Mark Twain)

German humour

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
25 of 27

Hi Tilo,

Please, note that that discussing or reposting deleted or edited posts is not allowed according to the Community Guidelines. Also, please refrain from making disparaging comments about Upwork staff and other members of the Community

Our intention is not to censor but to build a professional and well-organized community. The Community Guidelines are in place to serve this purpose.

Thank you for your understanding.

~ Valeria
Upwork
This widget could not be displayed.
26 of 27
This widget could not be displayed.

@Tilo K wrote:

Hi,

I am a little bit astonished as well; especially lately those budget offers are flooding upwork and it is not even worth bidding on those any more.

I am more in the "Translation"-section and I have to disagree with some of you that the clients "do not know about the workload" of their projects.

I just saw an offer for the translation of a 45 page manual (and of course "everything should be perfect", "best translation ever", blablabla). And the budget is $30.

Nobody can tell me that a client doesn't know that $0.6 for the translation of a whole page will give him nothing but an automated translation, even from my dear collegues in other parts of this world ...

I am a little baffled that I haven't seen a "normal" offer in weeks now. It suddenly stopped.

Like one of the guys said - I would be sitting on hundreds of connects if I wouldn't keep fighting against this *I am sorry that upwork thinks they can censor what ever they want. Especially when someone does it who obviously has not full command of the English (British) language and doesn't know figures of speech. It is an absolute disgrace for this platform.*

Thanks for listening - now I do not have to visit my shrink.

All the best to everyone and kind regards,

Tilo

This is what I have experienced as well in the German job section and have complained about many times before. I do translations seldom, have some niches where I have less competition and my rates are higher than yours. However, only a few clients are willing to pay a decent rate. As I check the job offers every day I can only support what you have written. Those miserable offers are often from farmers who farm out the work they are not able to do themselves and look for somebody who repairs their Google or non-native translation. Often they are in another country they pretend to be. Especially in the writing and translation section there are many, many job offers at unacceptable low rates. I know that there are other freelancers who are absolutely happy here and have plenty of jobs... but it is evident that there are freelancers that face a different situation. I would already be happy at the moment if those job offers would disappear from the job feed (and the platform).

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
27 of 27

I don't generally bid on jobs that are ridiculously out of range like those you described unless the post says that the budget is a placeholder or negotiable, but I've heard others report good experiences even with those jobs.

My loose rule of thumb is that if my rate for a job would be double the posted budget or less, I'll go ahead and bidif interested. I don't, though, go in with a $1,000 bid on a $15 posting.

Given what you've said here, it seems like it might be more reasonable  to do so in your field, where clients clearly don't have any sense of what is required to do the job correctly.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS